Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kent

Do we need another striker?

Do we need another striker?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need another striker?

• Yes
    • No

It seems fairly obvious that we're trying to bring in another player to bolster our attacking options but I've heard other PL managers saying that every team needs three, sometimes four strikers in their squad. To me if we're going to play two upfront a lot of the time then I guess we'd need four.

The question is do we need this extra striker? I guess it ultimately boils down to whether or not we think Chris Wood is good enough, if we do land someone is he inevitably going to be shipped out on loan at some point? He had a permanent move lined up and said he wanted to "stay and fight for his place" however it seems like if we get our way he won't really be in the race anyway.

Edit: the main reason I made this thread is on the back of the £6-8m David McGoldrick rumours going round this morning, it seems like we're getting fairly low on our target list

All hinges on Vardy and whether or not he can make the step up. If he forms a vibrant partnership with Ulloa and we've got Nugent and Wood as decent back up then we're fine. If Vardy struggles then we'll need someone new. We won't know until we've played another ten games at least so I'd suggest waiting until January.

Personally I question whether Wood / Nugent are up to this standard... I'd be willing to give benefit of doubt to Ulloa, Vardy and whoever the other striker we may sign (because we will get one) is.

This. Wood was somewhat questionable with us last year, always forcing his way back into the squad and then following up with a couple of disappointingly anonymous displays, and Nugent's best attribute for me isn't his goalscoring but what he does elsewhere.

Definitely... We still haven't seen Vardy yet, that's something that could influence a potential transfer. Ulloa has impressed me that most out of our strikers so far. We're in a position like most promoted clubs where we might struggle for goals, an injury to one of them and we're back down to three main strikers (forgetting GTF and Schlupp), so I don't see the harm in getting another one in. Yes players will have to be patient for places, but that's football.

IMO if we're going to sign another forward it should be someone who's a different class to what's here.

I think Deeney would have improved the forwards, & the player from Russia sounded promising. Don't think McGoldrick will though & that's silly money on someone to bulk the squad out.

This seemingly scattergun approach as we've obviously failed on 1st choice targets has the potential to be disastrous

Look for a gem from Ligue 1/2 or similar... Or buy in a 'proven' front man for £15m+ rather than scrapping round the Championship for fees upto £10m who are no better or different than Vardy & Nugent.

IMO if we're going to sign another forward it should be someone who's a different class to what's here.

I agree. I don't think McGoldrick is any better than Nugent or Vardy personally. If we want a striker from the Championship that is better than those two, the options are limited and I think the only realistic options are Deeney and Rhodes.

i dont think we need another striker as we have ulloa, vardy, nugent, wood and schlupp but it would be nice to get another decent striker in to have another option.

but no, we dont need another striker, what we need is a full back (maybe 2) as we only have 2 natural full backs atm

We need somebody who can actually strike the ball with some power and accuracy from a distance, something that we don't seem to have up front currently

Wood can certainly do that. It's just the rest of his game which I'm not quite so sure about.

We have four strikers here which is more than enough. It also depends on, like Moosebreath said, whether Vardy makes the step up. If we start struggling to score goals then I would expect us to look at another striker.

As I said on the McGoldrick thread it'll only deflate the likes of Wood and Nugent if we were to bring in another striker (especially someone from a club like Ipswich). I see it as a slap in the face for both of those players and it'll only do more harm than good.

Let's focus on the defensive side of things first at least!

EDIT: Another reason being it seems that Pearson can get the most out of a lot of players here in this club whether third or fourth choice in a certain position, so I think each player in the squad can play a valuable role (even GTF).

Pearson said you can never have enough strikers, so regardless if you want one or not he will get one, maybe even two.

But do I want it to be McGoldrick - NO

Are other positions more of a priority - YES

To me it seems fairly likely that unless we don't manage to get anyone then Wood will go out on loan either soon or in January.

So if we can bring in someone who has more quality than him then I guess we'd only be better off.

Archived