Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What's the Point of...?

34 minutes ago, Buce said:

A dictionary is to explain to you what those words mean.

I bet, if you gave it some thought, you could think of loads of words that you can spell without knowing their precise meaning.

See I'd suggest that's what a thesaurus is for, I always got told to look it up in the dictionary if I couldn't spell it.

9 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

See I'd suggest that's what a thesaurus is for, I always got told to look it up in the dictionary if I couldn't spell it.

I disagree.

A Thesaurus is for synonyms.

23 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

There is no such thing as a seagull. There are three permanently residing gulls in the UK, the black-backed gull, the herring gull and the common gull and none of them are seagulls. They're gulls.

Legit had to google this one. You're dead right tbf. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gull

No such thing as a seagull. Learn something new everyday. 

3 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Thesaurus.com | Meanings and Definitions of Words at Thesaurus.com

The internet disagrees.

Anyway, moving on.

dictionary.com:

noun

noun: dictionary; plural noun: dictionaries

a book or electronic resource that lists the words of a language (typically in alphabetical order) and gives their meaning, or gives the equivalent words in a different language, often also providing information about pronunciation, origin, and usage.

"I'll look up 'love' in the dictionary"

synonyms:lexicon, wordbook, glossary, vocabulary list, vocabulary, word list, wordfinder

"half of the words in his text were not in the dictionary"

a reference book on a particular subject, the items of which are typically arranged in alphabetical order.

"a dictionary of quotations"

Computing

a set of words or other text strings made for use in applications such as spellcheckers.

"the worm attempts to crack account passwords using a built-in dictionary"

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

noun, plural thesauruses, thesauri

[-sawr-ahy] /-ˈsɔr aɪ/ (Show IPA)

a dictionary of synonyms and antonyms, such as the online Thesaurus.com.

any dictionary, encyclopedia, or other comprehensive reference book.

a storehouse, repository, or treasury.

4. Computers.

an index to information stored in a computer, consisting of a comprehensive list of subjects concerning which information may be retrieved by using the proper key terms.

a dictionary of synonyms and antonyms stored in memory for use in word processing.

5 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

There is no such thing as a seagull. There are three permanently residing gulls in the UK, the black-backed gull, the herring gull and the common gull and none of them are seagulls. They're gulls.

Precisely my point. The word seagulls is pointless. :P

5 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

6 will get you 10, there's more seagulls that live well inland than there are that live on the coast

18 hours ago, Webbo said:

When you buy an object from amazon and then they email you ads for the next few months trying to sell you the exact same thing you've already bought.

its the bloody naked wines vouchers that do my head in.

also what is the point in paying for hospital car parking?! LRI is unreal for it. cost me 8 quid the last time my daughter was in a and e and i got told off for losing the card...sorry mate my daugther overdosing was a bit more bloody important! 

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

Mine is B16 D0N6

That's an illegal UK plate.

I'm reporting you to the terrorist police.

I bet you're easy to spot by surveillance.

Some bloke in a flat tugging his tiny penis.

They're gonna need those binoculars.

Just now, Parafox said:

That's an illegal UK plate.

I'm reporting you to the terrorist police.

I bet you're easy to spot by surveillance.

Some bloke in a flat tugging his tiny penis.

They're gonna need those binoculars.

Image result for that escalated quickly gif

Archived