Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Part 2/2 - first part about Kante.

Heard last night at the PFA awards we've had planning application approved. Summer of 2017 we'll expand the east stand to increase total capacity to circa 40k. No great surprise to me, but good to hear it confirmed.

Fantastic news if true. Not doubting you, by the way - just don't know how reliable your source is.

I was analysing and looking at the East Stand on Sunday trying to think and imagine what it'd look like with an additional tier. I feel it could look excellent if done right. This is assuming it's the East Stand that is planned for the expansion. They may even incorporate both stands for the expansion - Family and East maybe?

I still love the idea of a double decker Kop. 

You made me wonder what it might look like, and curiosity got the better of me.

I had a little go on Photoshop to see what I reckon is most likely to happen...

kpexpansion1_zpshv1qmkwe.jpg

kpexpansion2_zpsgwfhhvkp.jpg

I'm guessing that something like this is what we can expect. I estimated that one of the longer stands, without including the corners, holds roughly 8k, so doubling the height of the East (or West) stand (without including corners) would take the capacity up to around 40k. I expect that the corners either side of the East stand wouldn't be included, because the rooves of the family stand and the Kop would block the view of the pitch from the seats at either end of the new tier.

They might want to do something more interesting with it, with curves or whatever, but this might give an idea of the size of it, anyway.

Guest CityFan 06

Fantastic news if true. Not doubting you, by the way - just don't know how reliable your source is.

You made me wonder what it might look like, and curiosity got the better of me.

I had a little go on Photoshop to see what I reckon is most likely to happen...

kpexpansion1_zpshv1qmkwe.jpg

kpexpansion2_zpsgwfhhvkp.jpg

I'm guessing that something like this is what we can expect. I estimated that one of the longer stands, without including the corners, holds roughly 8k, so doubling the height of the East (or West) stand (without including corners) would take the capacity up to around 40k. I expect that the corners either side of the East stand wouldn't be included, because the rooves of the family stand and the Kop would block the view of the pitch from the seats at either end of the new tier.

They might want to do something more interesting with it, with curves or whatever, but this might give an idea of the size of it, anyway.

Great work, that's a very tidy design you've made, and it looks very realistic. I've been attempting to create a design like this but couldn't quite do it. I love this. I might have a try with photoshop at some stage and see what I come up with (if anything). I can envisage the atmosphere in that East Stand with an additional tier too - could be outstanding with the extra support.

Great work, that's a very tidy design you've made, and it looks very realistic. I've been attempting to create a design like this but couldn't quite do it. I love this. I might have a try with photoshop at some stage and see what I come up with (if anything). I can envisage the atmosphere in that East Stand with an additional tier too - could be outstanding with the extra support.

Thanks. I think I might do another view with the stadium full. It will probably be the same design again or something similar. Maybe the roof should be angled down a bit to keep the weather off. I'm not such a big fan of curved rooves - it just seems a bit final to me. I know it's pretty unlikely that it would need to be expanded again, but who knows what's going to happen in 50 or 100 years time?

My favourite stadium in the country is probably St. James' Park. Not the biggest, but it looks colossal. That's the sort of thing I'd aim for with an expansion.

I really hope it does happen asap. It's a real shame that so many fans can't get a ticket during what is probably our best ever season.

Yeah! Give it a go. I'd love to see what ideas other people come up with.

Thanks. I think I might do another view with the stadium full. It will probably be the same design again or something similar. Maybe the roof should be angled down a bit to keep the weather off. I'm not such a big fan of curved rooves - it just seems a bit final to me. I know it's pretty unlikely that it would need to be expanded again, but who knows what's going to happen in 50 or 100 years time?

My favourite stadium in the country is probably St. James' Park. Not the biggest, but it looks colossal. That's the sort of thing I'd aim for with an expansion.

I really hope it does happen asap. It's a real shame that so many fans can't get a ticket during what is probably our best ever season.

Yeah! Give it a go. I'd love to see what ideas other people come up with.

St James Park is my favourite ground (after ours of course) its huge and so dominating right in the centre of town.

I noticed this morning that there's work started on the land at the back of the East stand. And the contractors on site are the same ones used by the club..  :thumbup:

Probably be car parking! Lost quite a few places to all the tv crew this season. 

There were definitely signs up on the fences when I walked past, saying planning permission had been asked for a 'Fan's Village'.

I heard from a contractor that I know that that was definitely the plan. Bars, food places, another club shop and outside heated areas, and all the bands/entertainment etc that's currently placed outside the current club shop corner!

I think we all know Vichai and Top well enough by now to assume that any extension will not be ordinary, it will be something special. I certainly wouldn't surprise me if the look of the ground was changed considerably by any additions.

I remember seeing this some time ago. Southampton's proposed plans for St Mary's, which is identical to ours structurally.. 

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2013/03/new_design_st_marys_stadium

Guest CityFan 06

Swan Lesta. Again, I think that matchday design is a superb effort. Looks so realistic just like the first one. Agree with your reply on the last page too about St James Park, that is an excellent ground, and the stands look very impressive. 

Is photoshop free and simple to use? I might try to design a possible expansion, but not sure where to start. Yours have given me inspiration :)  

Think they would dip the roof, sun will be directly in their eyes in that stand, though the view across the canal and the rest of Leicester would be nice, remember during poor matches sitting in the Carling or double decker and just looking out over the city instead of scarey Carey making a muddle of things on the park.

Guest CityFan 06

Think they would dip the roof, sun will be directly in their eyes in that stand, though the view across the canal and the rest of Leicester would be nice, remember during poor matches sitting in the Carling or double decker and just looking out over the city instead of scarey Carey making a muddle of things on the park.

One of the great advantages of an expansion. Seeing a view of the City would be decent for fans sitting there. 

Swan Lesta. Again, I think that matchday design is a superb effort. Looks so realistic just like the first one. Agree with your reply on the last page too about St James Park, that is an excellent ground, and the stands look very impressive. 

Is photoshop free and simple to use? I might try to design a possible expansion, but not sure where to start. Yours have given me inspiration :)  

I'm assuming you mean me and not Swan Lesta.

Thanks.

Sadly, Photoshop is not free if you want a legit copy, but there is a free, open source alternative called Gimp. https://www.gimp.org/

Never used it myself, but it's meant to be decent.

As for simplicity of use, it's hard to say, really. It takes a bit of practice. I'm a lot quicker than I used to be, because I've learnt a lot of shortcuts and better ways of doing the same thing. There's plenty of tutorials on the internet. I'd recommend learning the keyboard shortcuts and how to use masks. A cheap graphics tablet makes it a lot easier, too.

Guest CityFan 06

I'm assuming you mean me and not Swan Lesta.

Thanks.

Sadly, Photoshop is not free if you want a legit copy, but there is a free, open source alternative called Gimp. https://www.gimp.org/

Never used it myself, but it's meant to be decent.

As for simplicity of use, it's hard to say, really. It takes a bit of practice. I'm a lot quicker than I used to be, because I've learnt a lot of shortcuts and better ways of doing the same thing. There's plenty of tutorials on the internet. I'd recommend learning the keyboard shortcuts and how to use masks. A cheap graphics tablet makes it a lot easier, too.

Ta mate. Sorry yes I meant Raw Dykes not Swan Lesta, my mistake.

Thanks for the info

Archived