Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

A new stadium would inevitably mean an out of town industrial estate location. absolutely horrendous.

The club needs to come up with some serious sugar coating to any plans for expansion particularly with respect to travel and parking, like the railway, which I've mentioned numerous times on here a multi-story car park that could be used by the hospital on non-match days or subsidising match day park & ride in order to push through any expansion

If this does not happen for the first time in 30+ years I fear if we are doing well I may never get to see a single game next season.

I played football myself at good level for a long time, moved away for a year, work, marriage, death of the named ST holder and the birth of my son who takes up a lot of time as he is autistic meant It was unrealistic to hold a ST. Please give me one opportunity next season.

Even when I threw away my ST away in anger when we were demoted to Div1 I still went to three home games. I always felt if you don't pay your money, you can't complain.

Surely there are thousands like me ? Perhaps even some of you?

Where do you live? Like you I have a son with a disability and whilst I have a ST and go to most games if I know I'm going to miss a game I'd have no problem lending you my ticket. Let me know

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10287578/claudio-ranieri-says-new-signings-must-have-heart-and-spirit

"We already have plans to expand the stadium, including the land next to the stadium to do other businesses but that's not about football," he said. "It's more for people in the city to be able to use our facility."

What sort of "businesses" would they want to locate next to the stadium?

Don't really mind an increase to the club's own hospitality/conference facilities - but that quote seems to imply putting separate hotels/bars, etc. next to the ground. 

Not really been a huge fan of the KP, but at least it has the redeeming feature of being a football ground rather than a business park. 

A relocation to out of the town centre would be the beginning of the death of the club.

We need an expansion but not one that cannot be done on the current site. If they're willing to put the effort and money in the current ground can still be made into one big enough and impressive enough for a club like us.

theres a lot of land around the kp and across the road that a lot could be done with if they can get hold of it. The city council, like the fans, wont want us to move out the city so hopefully they could work together to get the kp expanded.

Guest CityFan 06

All interesting stuff. The redeeming features of the KP is the atmosphere and location, especially with the ground being positioned very near to Filbert Street - that is ideal. A 15k increase sounds fine to me, anything between 10k-15k would be great for the current stadium I feel, and it's also realistic & sensible for the club's current position. There's so much potential though with the KP, there's many ideas I've got which could (in my opinion) improve it both in terms of character and overall impressiveness. Relocation is of course another option to consider, it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice but wouldn't discount it entirely. 

A double decker kop would be my dream. If there is talk of 15k expansion, maybe the other 5k could be on the Kop? Although the Family Stand has been linked with the expansion plans too. 

What effect would boltin another 10,000 capacity on the stadium have on parking though? I park about 20 minutes walk from the stadium at the moment and it's already difficult at times to park, with 10,000 extra fans it'd be ridiculous.

I like the KP and the location of it having said that - used to walking from Viccy Park way up to Filbert St. in the 90s so the KP being a stones throw away feels like home. I guess some vacant land like fosse park way but not near the traffic would be ideal if we were to build a new stadium, get alton towers sized car parks n all haha.

Guest CityFan 06

Good point I forgot to mention, was whether the city could cope with even more traffic on match days, potentially 10,000 more fans. - I do not think it could cope currently. However, I would of thought should an expansion take place there will be more in place to stop the overall congestion. 

With Leicester as it is, it's the most populous city in the East Midlands, so ultimately we're probably going to see the effects on traffic with an expansion. We will have the usual city congestion, matchday congestion plus another 10k fans. But, not intending to put this down as I feel an expansion is suitable.

Where do you live? Like you I have a son with a disability and whilst I have a ST and go to most games if I know I'm going to miss a game I'd have no problem lending you my ticket. Let me know

Cheers fella. PM'd you.

Isn't Foxes Talk great

... Expand the KP by 15-20K with a club supported park n ride scheme, whereby the early leavers rush would be soaked up by the shuttle buses ... and those staying more local to the City still retain the ability to walk and/or linger in and around the centre for drinks/eats. Moving ever further from the Filbert Street roots hurts to even think about and myself and my lad very often walk/walked between Filbert Street/KP Stadium and Braunstone (great father and son time for me!) ... Expansion over new stadium for me!

They are not going to expand the stadium to issue new season tickets. They will not pay for the expansion via that route. It's all about corporate, that's the only way they are going to get back a investment of about £40 million paying for it and no way will they spend £200 million on a new stadium just to increase the capacity by 10000.

Just look at the Liverpool expansion only 20% of the new seats are for new season tickets.

Too many memories at the KP from the Micky Adams days to lifting all 3 league trophies under the influence of chief scout Steve Walsh. I would be gutted if we left.

Presuming the extra seats went on top of the East Stand, would the East Stand become the main stand?

Would the club completely renovate and put a new dressing room, sandwich brigade seating, tunnel etc in the East Stand? This would be a step too far I think.

I think the KP has a great atmosphere at the moment and its as though we have the recipe for success at this moment in time. I understand we need to expand to accommodate the demand but I think we need to do it carefully so as to not cause any disruption to the playing staff and the special positive atmosphere that the KP has developed since the West Ham game last season.

Where's this idea of a new stadium come from, anyway? Has anyone from the club officially come out with it that it might be a consideration?

It was in a speculative article in the Leicester Mercury a week or two ago.

Too many memories at the KP from the Micky Adams days to lifting all 3 league trophies under the influence of chief scout Steve Walsh. I would be gutted if we left.

Presuming the extra seats went on top of the East Stand, would the East Stand become the main stand?

Would the club completely renovate and put a new dressing room, sandwich brigade seating, tunnel etc in the East Stand? This would be a step too far I think.

I think the KP has a great atmosphere at the moment and its as though we have the recipe for success at this moment in time. I understand we need to expand to accommodate the demand but I think we need to do it carefully so as to not cause any disruption to the playing staff and the special positive atmosphere that the KP has developed since the West Ham game last season.

Why would they move the dressing room just because the stand is bigger?

As new grounds go, being 200 yards from our old one has allowed our fans to retain much of the same feeling on match days (same pubs, routine, travel arrangements etc). Any further move would surely ruin that as it would pretty much have to be some awful out of town site. No thanks.

It has to be a major concern if they look at relocating

It has to be a major concern if they look at relocating

Who says relocation is the option.

Google the aerial photos of whl. You can clearly see the footings going in around the current whl.

Who's to say they haven't brought the land behind the east stand with building from scratch in mind. But they could do 2/3rds of the work around the current ground by turning the ground 90 degrees then knocking down the current place last.

Who says relocation is the option.

Google the aerial photos of whl. You can clearly see the footings going in around the current whl.

Who's to say they haven't brought the land behind the east stand with building from scratch in mind. But they could do 2/3rds of the work around the current ground by turning the ground 90 degrees then knocking down the current place last.

Hopefully it isn't but if it is it's a concern

Anyway hopefully we can just expand the current site or do something similar to what you are suggesting maybe

Too many memories at the KP from the Micky Adams days to lifting all 3 league trophies under the influence of chief scout Steve Walsh. I would be gutted if we left.

I think the KP has a great atmosphere at the moment and its as though we have the recipe for success at this moment in time. I understand we need to expand to accommodate the demand but I think we need to do it carefully so as to not cause any disruption to the playing staff and the special positive atmosphere that the KP has developed since the West Ham game last season.

Would the East Stand become the main stand? History (and logic) says nope, ain't gonna happen.

Other clubs have built new, bigger stands opposite the traditional main stand and nothing changes - Old Trafford, City Ground, Wolves etc. Everything is in place for the team, the business and corporate facilities in the West Stand, this would be the last stand they'd think about changing. If stadium expansion were to happen the East & south stands would be the simplest options.  

Others wonder about the traffic but there have been occasions when both City and Tigers have played on the same day (with staggered kick offs), it's busy but it works. I personally would love to see the rail line utilized. It's right next to the stadium - but there would be huge objections if a car park was suggested somewhere near Narborough / Whetstone. 

Archived