Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

West hams new stadium is pretty awful, no proper concourse areas for the upper tier due to the complete fook up of the 'legacy'. And the upper tier views are going to be awful. Can't imagine how you could be impressed with that stadium. The new spurs stadium looks much more promising.

I agree the Spurs stadium looks fantastic and they're planning on incorporating some nice features. Shame about the location though as it's a nightmare to get to at the best of times.

Regarding the Olympic Stadium it looks much better than the majority of the newer stadiums around. Personally only ever heard great things from those that have attended, and apparently the acoustics are on another level. It'll certainly be far better than our stadium even if changes are made.

I agree the Spurs stadium looks fantastic and they're planning on incorporating some nice features. Shame about the location though as it's a nightmare to get to at the best of times.

Regarding the Olympic Stadium it looks much better than the majority of the newer stadiums around. Personally only ever heard great things from those that have attended, and apparently the acoustics are on another level. It'll certainly be far better than our stadium even if changes are made.

Ahhhh, the old 'acoustics' thing surfaces again, been a while!  :D

Ahhhh, the old 'acoustics' thing surfaces again, been a while! :D

I wasn't referring to their stadium being acoustically superior. For what it's worth I'm very much of the opinion that what you put in is what you get out, i.e If you sit on your backside refusing to sing you can't complain if there's little noise, however I acknowledge that stadium design does play a part to some extent.

I was actually referring to the overall infrastructure of the stadium; facilities, features, accessibility, etc. There's no denying that our ground is somewhat lacking. My personal opinion is that even if they knocked the ground to the floor and rebuilt it on its existing site it still wouldn't be ideal as the location isn't great. Parking is a nightmare already with 32,000 yet some are suggesting a capacity upwards of 45,000. With a Council that seems to do everything in its power to discourage people attending the football, (no park and ride, increasing number of resident only parking zones, etc) it would not be feasible to increase capacity by circa 50% in its current location.

I wasn't referring to their stadium being acoustically superior. For what it's worth I'm very much of the opinion that what you put in is what you get out, i.e If you sit on your backside refusing to sing you can't complain if there's little noise, however I acknowledge that stadium design does play a part to some extent.

I was actually referring to the overall infrastructure of the stadium; facilities, features, accessibility, etc. There's no denying that our ground is somewhat lacking. My personal opinion is that even if they knocked the ground to the floor and rebuilt it on its existing site it still wouldn't be ideal as the location isn't great. Parking is a nightmare already with 32,000 yet some are suggesting a capacity upwards of 45,000. With a Council that seems to do everything in its power to discourage people attending the football, (no park and ride, increasing number of resident only parking zones, etc) it would not be feasible to increase capacity by circa 50% in its current location.

No worries mate I wasn't having a dig, but acoustics was always used as an excuse as to why our home atmospheres used to be dreadful, but no one seems to mention it any more  :D 

I completely agree with you that 'acoustics' have very little impact and it's all about what the fans put in.

I just think we can't be "short sighted" on this issue

Yes parking is an issue (of everyday life let alone the footy)

I am sure even though our local council aren't great at supporting us there will be a way forward

We need a stadium capacity increase without a shadow of a doubt IMHO

I do think we can find a way and hopefully out wonderful owners will get this done sooner rather than later

Up the Foxes

Jesus! I see this at the top of the thread and expect some news!!! Not the shite comments that come up about house builders!!! Guy's get a life or start a thread about house builders! It's not that hard!!!

Other people are now starting threads about building a new stadium? :unsure:

New stadium, is there land still at Beaumont Leys?

If and I know it's a big "IF" we win the title I don't think I would ever want us to move from our stadium? :unsure:

That said I actually really missed the old stadium for at least 10 years and never thought I would feel the same way about the now glorious KPS lol

If there are plans afoot then I think it understandable that no announcement will be made whilst we are in the midst of a Premier League title challenge. No distractions necessary, every once of focus on the pitch. That said, I can't imagine anything happening anytime soon given the proposed end of season concourse upgrade/make-over.

If there are plans afoot then I think it understandable that no announcement will be made whilst we are in the midst of a Premier League title challenge. No distractions necessary, every once of focus on the pitch. That said, I can't imagine anything happening anytime soon given the proposed end of season concourse upgrade/make-over.

End of the season I would expect some sort of announcement

I would hope anyway

Yes to expansion but as 'Sir' Claudio would say we should do it 'slowly, slowly'.

Maybe 5,000 as soon as soon as and when it's possible... They'd probably need planning permission (as any existing permissions will have expired by now) which has to be made public. So anything is clearly a couple of years away at least.

In our long history... [...] We finished top 10 for 4 years in the O'Neill era. Were we established? Obviously not! To establish, we need better players and top management over time. To keep / attract these managers / players, we need to convince them we are an attractive proposition. We need to be percieved as BIG, as having a chance at titles or trophies otherwise we will win some and lose some against the Swansea's Southamptons Stokes and Broms. 

I was actually referring to the overall infrastructure of the stadium; facilities, features, accessibility, etc. There's no denying that our ground is somewhat lacking. My personal opinion is that even if they knocked the ground to the floor and rebuilt it on its existing site it still wouldn't be ideal as the location isn't great. Parking is a nightmare already with 32,000 yet some are suggesting a capacity upwards of 45,000.

Great post Bagworthblue. Softly, softly, slowly approach is best. Anything to avoid administration again.

Big ian_marshall, I agree on your facilities and features point but not on accessibility. 

Filbert Way is in a great location and links in with (without sounding too high-falutin') the 120 year or so pilgrimage from the centre of town: Jarrom St, Grasmere, Burnmoor, Old Filbo to New Filbo.

Aylestone Road and Welford Road have plenty of buses so you can park and ride or park ride and walk from pretty much anywhere in the city. When I used to live in the north of the city we'd even walk to games all the way along the river/canal.

The accessibility from the centre and transport is generally very good compared to some other stadiums i've been to. 

Now if you want to talk about bringing trams back to Leicester I'm your man (but prob best not for this thread)...

In terms of facilities and features it is pretty identikit but still better than a lot of other grounds I've been to. It's a box but boxy stadiums can be beautiful. Just look at the Westfalenstadion...  

Problem is (nice problem to have) that current progress has come earlier than Owners expected or planned, so if they were planning for higher PL / occassional European competition, they'd be planning to have expand capacity in, say, three years time.

Looks like it can be expanded whilst in use as per Anfield, so less risk with no impact on the existing stadium whilst new teir added, so it's just down to money and revised CL business plan and how quick it can get the approvals and get built. LCFC will no doubt be talking to Leicester Council now whilst they've got some real real leverage.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-stunning-new-liverpool-fc-11181185

The Main Stand’s new roof has taken shape in just 31 days and overall construction has taken about 18 months, so if LCFC are already talking to Council now, a small LCFC development could be in place for start of season 2017/18.

A 15,000 extra capacity tier, costing say £100m would attract an income estimate at £20m a year and therefore have a payback period of 5 years or a rate of return of towards 20%. This is actually a very low risk, high return project, so I'd be amazed if LCFC weren't already seriously talking to the Council. 

Don't we have any spies in the Council planning department??

Problem is (nice problem to have) that current progress has come earlier than Owners expected or planned, so if they were planning for higher PL / occassional European competition, they'd be planning to have expand capacity in, say, three years time.

Looks like it can be expanded whilst in use as per Anfield, so less risk with no impact on the existing stadium whilst new teir added, so it's just down to money and revised CL business plan and how quick it can get the approvals and get built. LCFC will no doubt be talking to Leicester Council now whilst they've got some real real leverage.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-stunning-new-liverpool-fc-11181185

The Main Stand’s new roof has taken shape in just 31 days and overall construction has taken about 18 months, so if LCFC are already talking to Council now, a small LCFC development could be in place for start of season 2017/18. 

depends if they just want to add some extra seats, if they want to include more boxes and other rooms then I doubt they'd be able to do it as you describe.

I agree with you - we've certainly pretty much achieved success (getting into European competition) a couple of years earlier than Vichai's ambitious plan. Strange that it sounded so outlandish at the time.

Spies (or simple City fans at the council) would be nice but maybe not necessary.

Anything planning-wise would have to show up here: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/mainsearch.aspx. Using the search term 'Filbert Way' the last app was Oct 2015 which was to do with ad hoardings so nothing immediately on the horizon.

depends if they just want to add some extra seats, if they want to include more boxes and other rooms then I doubt they'd be able to do it as you describe.

'The redevelopment will eventually add 13,000 to the capacity with the new main stand set to be ready for the 2016/17 season

Among the redevelopments will be a brand new concourse outside the stadium, as well as 36 new corporate hospitality boxes.'  Mirror

I agree with you - we've certainly pretty much achieved success (getting into European competition) a couple of years earlier than Vichai's ambitious plan. Strange that it sounded so outlandish at the time.

Spies (or simple City fans at the council) would be nice but maybe not necessary.

Anything planning-wise would have to show up here: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/mainsearch.aspx. Using the search term 'Filbert Way' the last app was Oct 2015 which was to do with ad hoardings so nothing immediately on the horizon.

Guess like most City fans, I'm  just keen to know before it all becomes official...and as a welcome distraction over the next few weeks; no finger nails left.

we have a stadium purpose built for expansion on land we own built still need permission from the council to expand?

Of course you need permission from the council. Just because the stadium was designed with expansion in mind does not mean that would be approved by the council.

we have a stadium purpose built for expansion on land we own built still need permission from the council to expand?

Yes, almost certainly. Pretty much anyone who owns land has to get permission from their local authority for large external changes. I guess it's possible there may have been something in the original permission from way back when about expansion but that sort of condition would probably be time-limited to 3 years or so. So long expired by now.

Archived