Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Yeah, they've been in the lower leagues for 16 years.

I'm not claiming stadium size is the only determining factor in perceived club size. No disrespect, but if you'd read my whole comment, you'd know that already. It doesn't even look like you've read the little bit you quoted.

I did read the whole post but I've talked about those things before. Nobody is going to expand the stadium if they're going to lose money on it. Expanding the stadium will be great for those of us who can't get a ticket but it's got to be cost effective.

I did read the whole post but I've talked about those things before. Nobody is going to expand the stadium if they're going to lose money on it. Expanding the stadium will be great for those of us who can't get a ticket but it's got to be cost effective.

Honestly don't think you're right about that. It can be considered as an investment in promoting the status of the club, and hence helping to ensure/assist future success, which IS the key to increased revenue.

All I got from your response was that stadium size does not equal club size. I'm well aware of that. I thought I'd made it clear that I thought if everything else is more or less equal between two clubs, then stadium size might sway someone's opinion as to which is bigger. I didn't even say it definitely would. I said it might. I don't know how someone could argue with that.

I think the clubs I mentioned are all considered by a lot of people to be roughly the same size as us. I'm guessing this is based mainly on which division they've been in over recent years and stadium size, as that's what we have in common with them. I wouldn't put clubs like Wednesday and Leeds in that bracket - they both have bigger stadiums and different history.

I agree - there is a chance that a bigger stadium could turn out to be a white elephant, and the owners (probably, I guess) don't have a crystal ball. However, judging by their actions since they arrived, I'm sure that they are keen to make this a higher profile club in any way they can. And is it really all that risky a move when you're a billionaire?

I would love to see the stadium expanded as I am one of those sad geeks that loves engineering. I once went to Old Trafford (while on a course in Manchester) just to walk around the outside of the stadium to admire it.

Just a tad concerned that we don't do it too soon. At the moment relegation is unthinkable but I guess that's what fans of Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland all thought. Even if they do well in the Championship they will NOT (despite the B$ you hear from Newcastle fans) be filling St James Park every fortnight.

The KP is too small for us in the PL (esp now!) but it's too big for the Championship.

Oh f**k it! Why am I being gloomy?! I hope they do expand, build an extra tier and make this a stadium fit for CHAMPIONS!

Leicester City look at King Power stadium expansion - or may even build new ground

14206862-large.jpg

Leicester City's King Power Stadium

Comments (1)

Leicester City are now seriously looking at expanding the King Power Stadium – or even building a completely new stadium.

Vice-chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha has admitted the club needs to think again to cope with the growing demand for tickets.

The 32,000-capacity ground has been sold out for every game this season and demand for tickets have been growing throughout their incredible Premier League title push.

kingpower.jpg

Tickets for tomorrow's final home game of the season, against Everton, when captain Wes Morgan will lift the Premier League trophy, have been offered for sale on some website for as much as £8,000 per ticket.

Read more: Leicester City fans queue from 3.30am to buy new kit

The King Power Stadium is now no longer big enough for City's growing fanbase and Aiyawatt, known as Top, said a stadium expansion was a possibility, but he had to be certain it was necessary long-term.

It is believed the best option for City would be to put another tier on top of the East Stand if they do decide to expand, or they could even relocate. The expansion of the East Stand would take the capacity to 42,000.

kingpowerfans.jpg

"I have to see the feasibility, but the plan is there already," he said.

"Today we are champions of the Premier League but when we were in the Championship I had to find the fans to come!

"Football is still difficult to say whether to expand. I want to see the numbers first. I want to work with the numbers, not just think that now 'Oh the demand is here, we have to build a new stadium or extend.' Let's see."

Read more: 'Leicester City have won nowt' – that's the last time I'll be hearing that

In March, 2013, City's owners agreed a £17million deal to buy the King Power Stadium, buying the stadium through their company K Power Holdings Co Ltd from previous owners Teachers Insurance, an American pension fund manager.

The 32,262-seater stadium, the 19th largest stadium capacity in England, was built in 2001-02 at a cost of £37 million and, following City's administration, part of the deal which brought the club out of receivership saw ownership of the stadium revert to Teachers,

Teachers had supplied £28m via a bond scheme towards the stadium's construction, with the club taking a long-term lease while the bond repayments were made.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-look-ground-expansion-build-new/story-29238169-detail/story.html#ixzz47rygKJS1 
Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-look-ground-expansion-build-new/story-29238169-detail/story.html#ixzz47ryTnuV1 
Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Imagine if they built another one lol

You could pretty much guarantee it would be out of town in some isolated/industrial area, that's where the land is likely to be and where you wont get home owners complaining quite so much.

Guest CityFan 06

Agree with Sol really, we are making some proper history at Filbert Way and in fact I think we will continue to see success in the future given the overall foundations that are in place at the club at the moment, hopefully we'll see many more trophies. Given some of the success we've had at the ground, I still think it could have more character, but it's not bad. 

"Football is still difficult to say whether to expand. I want to see the numbers first. I want to work with the numbers, not just think that now 'Oh the demand is here, we have to build a new stadium or extend.' Let's see."

smart man. :P

A stadium expansion would be a good option right now instead of a new stadia build on what we have so far it is all about supply and demand and right now the demand is outstripping the supply which can only be a good thing but we need to utilise our fame right now as best we can

Can't wait for this to happen

It needs to happen ASAP

Meant to ask, are you a Stone Roses fan by any chance?

Yes mate... you're the first person to mention the link. Got tickets for the Etihad in June. Coming away from there happy twice this year :)

Yes mate... you're the first person to mention the link. Got tickets for the Etihad in June. Coming away from there happy twice this year :)

Fantastic, love Stone Roses. Enjoy

I got offered tickets by a mate back in the day for the original Spike Island gig, turned him down as I had something else on at the time, boy have I regretted that lol

What a plonker I am

A stadium expansion would be a good option right now instead of a new stadia build on what we have so far it is all about supply and demand and right now the demand is outstripping the supply which can only be a good thing but we need to utilise our fame right now as best we can

The potential is there

We need to maximise it

Archived