Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Just trying to inject a little realism into the debate. Money might seem an irrelevance to some when it's not their money they're spending but these things have to be taken into consideration.

Hopefully they'll spend some of their money so I can give them some more of mine. 

It's not just about cost and revenue for me as simplistic and naive as that sounds.

It's about prestige as a club and how we move to the next level. A 42,000 all seater puts us apart from the likes of Southampton, Stoke, Norwich, etc. If we want to be a consistent top ten club we need to compete long term with the West Ham's, Everton's, Newcastle's, etc. It's as much about portraying yourselves as a big club.

Also we need to try and get a culture where our football club is a huge thing for our city much like the two big NE clubs. A bigger stadium so we don't have to limit ST sales to 23,000 and more people can come along. If we have any spare seats I'm all for school kids filling them up for free as we invest in our next generation of fans.

Let's not make Leicester City a closed shop for the people of Leicestershire.

Well said. Plus our stadium is still basically the same as Southampton, boro etc, the extra size on say 1 side would make it a bit more unique as well

Not to mention it's slim pickings for premier league football in the Midlands these days :)

It would be nice for more fans to be able to add to the great atmosphere at Filbert Way.

I know demand for tickets is very high at the moment due to our success, but next season whether we are doing well again or not, it would be good to allow more fans to support us at home every week. I'd predict if we expanded to 42k this year, next season we'd average 38-40k.

I suppose in a way we could look at expansion as a way of moving forward as a club, fanbase and size. Champions League nights would be ideal for expansion.

I like the 42k idea (certainly we could achieve 35-38000 average minimum I would say)

We really do need to be increasing the ground, said it last year too.

I'm not quite sure at what point you call yourself 'established' premier league survival is never guaranteed and even 3,4,5 years in prem too.

When we moved to Walkers everyone was worried the big ground would never get filled from moving from a 19k capacity, granted its only recent we have such a high demand but we have always had a good following.

We could charge double the ticket price currently and we will still sell out, if we add another 8-9k seats we will sell them out guaranteed and especially with champions league

I'm not quite sure at what point you call yourself 'established' premier league survival is never guaranteed and even 3,4,5 years in prem too.

When we moved to Walkers everyone was worried the big ground would never get filled from moving from a 19k capacity, granted its only recent we have such a high demand but we have always had a good following.

We could charge double the ticket price currently and we will still sell out, if we add another 8-9k seats we will sell them out guaranteed and especially with champions league

Im not sure we would sell out with the ticket prices doubled. They are already rough.

Guest CityFan 06

It depends on the scale of the possible expansion in my view. I predict that if the club expanded the stadium to 42k (an additional tier on the East Stand presumably) we would average between 35k - 38k every home game next season, with the games against Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc drawing in the larger crowds of 42k, as well as the Champions League nights where I also feel we would also see the attendances of 42k.

I am for an expansion personally. Say in years to come and we do have an 42k capacity stadium, overall I would say we would average at least 35k on a consistent basis every season providing we stay in the Premier League. I know that there is the point of view, that if we were to get attendances of 35k on average let's say, that there would 7,000 empty seats. I understand this. However, to accommodate more future Europe aspirations, to progress as a bigger club, and to be playing sides such as the usual top four in the BPL, then for me the expansion is the correct move at this time.

It depends on the scale of the possible expansion in my view. I predict that if the club expanded the stadium to 42k (an additional tier on the East Stand presumably) we would average between 35k - 38k every home game next season, with the games against Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc drawing in the larger crowds of 42k, as well as the Champions League nights where I also feel we would also see the attendances of 42k.

I am for an expansion personally. Say in years to come and we do have an 42k capacity stadium, overall I would say we would average at least 35k on a consistent basis every season providing we stay in the Premier League. I know that there is the point of view, that if we were to get attendances of 35k on average let's say, that there would 7,000 empty seats. I understand this. However, to accommodate more future Europe aspirations, to progress as a bigger club, and to be playing sides such as the usual top four in the BPL, then for me the expansion is the correct move at this time.

Bollocks....we would sell the majority of them out, leicester tickets are like rocking horse shit at the moment and were last season even when we were in the shit.

With the prospect of champions league football bringing in yet more new supporters who would more than likely start attending league matches.

Guest CityFan 06

Bollocks....we would sell the majority of them out, leicester tickets are like rocking horse shit at the moment and were last season even when we were in the shit.

With the prospect of champions league football bringing in yet more new supporters who would more than likely start attending league matches.

True. We are a very well supported club in fairness. I was probably being too cautious regarding how much we'd sell  :thumbup:

Just trying to inject a little realism into the debate. Money might seem an irrelevance to some when it's not their money they're spending but these things have to be taken into consideration.

But it is not money is it.

Have the plans been drawn up yet.

Do they pass building regs.

Then the small matter of planning permission (that could take 12 months)

Once permission is given the builders can give a start date.

After they have consulted all suppliers.

Some of you must think all the people and companies involved are just sat waiting to start our job.

If the club have done nothing about it upto now we would be lucky to have it done for the start of season 17/18

Good post

Picky sod lol

I meant the general post I agree with

It is quite simple we need to expand the stadium and sooner rather than later

Well it won't happen this year. That's for sure.

8 weeks bare minimum for a planning application.

Plus however many weeks when it gets objections. Followed by building works.

With the club never actually meeting the original conditions we are looking at least next summer. So get used to 32k and a lot of begging. Or paying Thomas Cook for a trip you don't need.

Well it won't happen this year. That's for sure.

8 weeks bare minimum for a planning application.

Plus however many weeks when it gets objections. Followed by building works.

With the club never actually meeting the original conditions we are looking at least next summer. So get used to 32k and a lot of begging. Or paying Thomas Cook for a trip you don't need.

I know what you are saying but whenever this gets sorted it needs sorting

Can sort of expect it not to be until the season after next at a push but no later

We NEED to expand

I'm just about to buy a persimmon house, what's the problem with them?

@@browniefox

honestly mate they are ****ing shite, not sure where to begin really, over 60 snags identified within the first 3 months of moving in and awful after care service, all our neighbours in same boat plus all new home builders (not just persimmon) are under directive from the government (back hander) to build a percentage of social housing mixed in with private housing.....one side of our street is full of young professionals who work full time, the other side of the street is like beirut.

when you move in you will see what i mean, if you have the option i would try and pull out now and i am not exaggerating.

I know a few people have floated the idea of a new stadium altogether and initially I wasn't too keen on the idea, however having seen the video of West Ham's new stadium even if we expanded our ground and added extra facilities to the new areas we'd still be quite some way behind so I'm actually warming to the idea.

Archived