Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Clarkson and friends.

They needed to totally re brand the show and I was quietly confident that they would and that it would be an eventual success.

But they went down the route of mocking/mimicking all of the little quirks of the old Top Gear that made it great.

Not a great way to introduce yourself. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and I can see from this thread alone that there were people like me willing to watch and give it a chance.

Great shame, but Evans was always going to be a poor choice. You can't pick a host purely because he likes cars.

You can't pick a host purely because he likes cars.

Given they'll spend a lot of the show driving them I think its pretty important.

It was alright. But lets be honest it will never win people over. It could have been genuinely brilliant and it would have been massively criticised. No one out there could host this show and make it better than it was. I wish the old 3 were still here but I can't believe people are saying Jeremy shouldn't have been sacked. He had so many lives, his last incident was a fairly big one, how can you blame the BBC for sacking him? He could have murdered somebody and some people would still say he should be allowed to present it. He ****ed it up himself (and for everyone who enjoyed watching him sadly)

Given they'll spend a lot of the show driving them I think its pretty important.

It was alright. But lets be honest it will never win people over. It could have been genuinely brilliant and it would have been massively criticised. No one out there could host this show and make it better than it was. I wish the old 3 were still here but I can't believe people are saying Jeremy shouldn't have been sacked. He had so many lives, his last incident was a fairly big one, how can you blame the BBC for sacking him? He could have murdered somebody and some people would still say he should be allowed to present it. He ****ed it up himself (and for everyone who enjoyed watching him sadly)

But they searched for people who like cars over people who can actually host a satirical, witty television programme.

They've gone for happy go lucky Evans because he's got a few expensive motors.

Agree regarding Clarkson. 

Apart from Clarkson, when the other two joined they weren't exactly massively experienced TVs presenters. They'd done a bit of radio and the odd bit of tv, but not much. They were motoring journalists, and so was Clarkson many moons ago. First and foremost they loved and most importantly knew everything there is to know about cars and the industry.

Evans and Le Blamc clearly love cars but in not sure they have the indepth knowledge. Clarkson has driven pretty much every car ever made, Evans owns a few nice ones.

I'd rather they went with a proper motoring journalist, who really knows what they are on about. The guys on extra gear would have been better bets. They didn't need big names to front it, the name carries it for now, they just needed real car people to front it.

Preconceptions are an interesting thing. Most had decided they didn't like this before it aired - and so it was a case of looking for reasons to justify this distaste rather than evaluate on what was provided.

So we have;

Chris Evans - as a marmite personality many people knew they didn't like him before this, so they weren't going to suddenly warm to him. Funnily enough, Clarkson has that same sort of character about him, and Evans was also sacked from the Beeb in a past life, so maybe as things move on we'll find he's not a bad fit for the role.

Lack of Chemistry - Comparing a group of presenters that were together through how ever many series it was, including that life and death situation, was never going to be fair for a group on their first outing. For a start, the script writers haven't had a chance to fully lay the characters they will play to (but there's clearly a geeky Brit vs neourtic yank dynamic being worked at, with possibly the German women to come in and thrash the pair of them from time to time). And yet there was glimmers of something there so it will be fun to see how it develops.

Trying to be too much like old Top Gear - This is a difficult one considering they've got all the rights to things like the track and The Stig. I imagine they would have been absolutely panned if they'd ripped everything up and started from scratch and given the production team will be largely the same (guessing by the scripting, camera work, editing / direction on show last night - although I read somewhere that Danny Baker might have been seen on the credits list?) it was always going to be a case of gentle evolution if anything rather than a huge revolution. It would also have been rude not to give a wink and a nod to the old show.

Yet I get why some people won't like that, because it's like coming home from a day at work only to find your wife and kids have been replaced with imposters - the house looks the same, but the people in it don't feel right and so you don't really know where you are.

If the later is how you feel about things, you may never be won over, but if you look at this as something to spend 60 odd minutes watching a few times on a Sunday evening to entertain you (or via iPlayer, where you can fast forward annoying bits should you so chose), the show isn't all that bad - personally I quite enjoyed it - and it should only grow as things move on.

Final thought - I recall a common grumble during the previous series was "it wasn't as good as it once was" so maybe some freshness was needed anyway.

But they searched for people who like cars over people who can actually host a satirical, witty television programme.

They've gone for happy go lucky Evans because he's got a few expensive motors.

Agree regarding Clarkson.

They needed presenters that could drive to a certain level - that narrows the field somewhat.

He f**ked it up because he sold the rites to the show to the bbc for 8 million quid 3 years previously as long as he signed a 3 year deal and was expected to sign anotber contract when strangly he decided to whack a producer.

I thought it was ok at a push, both presenters seemed a bit wooden, maybe that's harsh on Matt, I guess he's new to it, there is room for improvement, and it will be interesting to see how they develop.

That lap is crap tho, fooking of road sections. Keep the lap the same, just get some decent guests.

I thought it was okay for the first show. Let's be honest, when Clarkson, Hammond and May first presented it after the last reboot with Harry Enfield in the reasonably priced car, it was a bit tepid then too. The previous presenters have had a while to become those characters that we know, new presenters will take some time to bed in too. If people always try to compare them to the previous presenters, they won't get their chance to settle.

I'm also glad they didn't change that much from a format point of view. The features are tried and tested and certainly weren't due for any dramatic changes. C, H and M were only the presenters of someone else's work at the end of the day, those writers are still there as far as I know. I heard on the radio that Clarkson used to be a stickler for making sure the script is right for everyone's lines not just his own so we'll miss his input in that respect. 

LeBlanc was good, I enjoyed his screen time. My only issue of with Chris Evans. His over enthusiasm worked well in the 1990s on TFI but this is a different show. He can still be happy but as someone else on here mentioned, it felt like he was talking to children.

I'm still looking forward to the old presenters' Amazon show though. The chemistry between those three is excellent.

I didn't bother, I might watch on iplayer if there is absolutely nothing else to do. Unlikely.

Got it on sky+ but was watching Soccer Aid. Will try and catch up later in the week, if I can be arsed.

Well I did watch it - and I would say it's worth a viewing.

It features a gorgeous new McLaren, some amazing back ground scenery from South Africa and plenty of guests including Eddie Jordan, helping taking the focus away from Chris and Matt somewhat.

It features a gorgeous new McLaren, some amazing back ground scenery from South Africa and plenty of guests including Eddie Jordan, helping taking the focus away from Chris and Matt somewhat.

Eddie Jordan - tax exile - being paid for cushy job by our taxes. You couldn't make it up.

Eddie Jordan - tax exile - being paid for cushy job by our taxes. You couldn't make it up.

Well that depends on what this series brings into the BBC in terms of its commercial arm - It could well be that this show makes the corporation money (and therefore in theory costs you nothing in taxes).

Fair enough, I might give it a go then.

Archived