Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

Mahrez was benched at Norwich earlier in the season after he was poor in the home loss against Arsenal.

Personally I would still play him because he is a game changer, as he showed at Watford recently.

bit different dropping him for a tough-ish looking away game whilst we were still having fun early in the season and still experimenting somewhat with our team. compared to now, we have a 1-to-11 and every game is our most important game in our history. it's not the time to drop someone because they put in one sub par performance to send out some kind of message that he isn't undroppable. 

bit different dropping him for a tough-ish looking away game whilst we were still having fun early in the season and still experimenting somewhat with our team. compared to now, we have a 1-to-11 and every game is our most important game in our history. it's not the time to drop someone because they put in one sub par performance to send out some kind of message that he isn't undroppable. 

but it isn't 1 sub par performance yes he scored at Watford but he hasn't actually played that well for little while and we can't afford to be carrying people  at this stage of the season either

isn't that exactly the point. "he scored but didn't play well". that's the whole reason why you'd have to have some sort of brain defect to want him dropped. bloke can be sluggish, moody and quite frankly contribute nothing for 89 minutes but he regularly wins us games with his magic in the other 60 seconds. 

you need your mahrezs and you need your albrightons. if we had 11 grafters and no magic we'd be west brom. if we had 11 stars but no grafters we'd be man city. we've got a perfect mix of both and we're miles clear at the top of the league, only an absolute fool would want to change that. 

I read somewhere that if Mahrez wins the player of the year award, it's gonna be historic for him and for Leicester to be the first African ever to win that award.

Big names failed to do so. to name few: Drogba and Yahya Torre.

Edit: adding link:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/leicester-ace-riyad-mahrez-backed-to-make-history-after-pfa-nomination-4125382

Because he won that Asian Newspaper Player of the Year a while ago.

Anyway, would he also be the first Middle Eastern player to win this? (If you consider Algeria part of the Middle East)

Anyway, would he also be the first Middle Eastern player to win this? (If you consider Algeria part of the Middle East)

What Asian Newspaper

and me who thought I followed well Riyad... I missed that, didn't hear of that lol

Mahrez is definitely a luxury player. After watching him live against Liverpool I decided he was a bit infuriating at times. He would try and take players on and put the team in danger when he lost possession, even though the simple pass was the obvious choice. Two minutes later, out of nothing, he almost curled a shot into the top corner. It was the same in the second half, until that pass for Vards. The guy is a threat, if you take him out the team you completely remove some element of magic that has made teams fear us so much this season.

Mahrez is definitely a luxury player. After watching him live against Liverpool I decided he was a bit infuriating at times. He would try and take players on and put the team in danger when he lost possession, even though the simple pass was the obvious choice. Two minutes later, out of nothing, he almost curled a shot into the top corner. It was the same in the second half, until that pass for Vards. The guy is a constant threat, if you take him out the team you completely remove some element of magic that has made teams fear us so much this season.

A luxury player AND a constant threat?

Most teams have a player that they 'carry'. Riyad is the closest we have to that but his work rate is much better under CR. Jose tried to get hazard to track back like Riyad does. didn't happen. rare to get a player with his skill set to do the dirty works he does. Not at albrightons level but good enough for us. Be interesting to see how far cresswell gets forward today. If he knew that he wasn't going to be covered then he would be more likely to do it as the return for the risk would be clearer. However, knowing that Riyad will be tracking him makes that decision a bit tougher. It all matters.

Indeed. Just because he's a luxury player doesn't mean he doesn't pose a constant threat. Teams are always wary.

I don't think having a player that is a constant threat can be considered a luxury somehow - the 'luxury' tag suggests 'doesn't pull his weight', so for me this is a contradictory suggestion.

I don't think having a player that is a constant threat can be considered a luxury somehow - the 'luxury' tag suggests 'doesn't pull his weight', so for me this is a contradictory suggestion.

Would you like me to remove the word constant???? Ok I will go ahead and remove the word constant...

I believe the term luxury can also imply that it is something good, that happens rarely. Mahrez magic is a rare occurrence in a game. Saying that, he still poses a constant threat because he can create something out of nothing. I don't believe I was contradictory.

Would you like me to remove the word constant???? Ok I will go ahead and remove the word constant...

I believe the term luxury can also imply that it is something good, that happens rarely. Mahrez magic is a rare occurrence in a game. Saying that, he still poses a constant threat because he can create something out of nothing. I don't believe I was contradictory.

I don't believe either of us is obliged to agree with the other :) However, I would agree that Mahrez does pose a threat at all times because he has the potential to do extraordinary things.

Who on earth would do that? It's almost on the west coast of Africa (Just Morocco blocking a border with the Atlantic) and lines up with France and Spain if you were to move straight up into Europe. It's nowhere near the middle east.

aaaand that is why you play him. he did nothing really of any note all game but hold the ball up once, beat his man once and play a great ball through once and we scored.

odd that he's gone so quiet in the last month. could well be to do with the internationals putting him out of sync. hopefully back on it asap, especially with no vardy next week.

Archived