Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

Riyad is doing himself no favours with his on pitch attitude.

If he carries on in this vein, he will not get an offer from Barca anyway. If he does, he's warming the bench.

From what I've seen in his interviews and special features I just get this niggly air of petulance and general unhappiness.

I could be reading too much into it, but I fear Le Havré saw the real Mahrez and he wasn't popular over there. Hope I'm wrong.

Anyone offers anything over 30 million for him, we should bite their hand off.

If he carries on in this vein, he will not get an offer from Barca anyway. If he does, he's warming the bench.

From what I've seen in his interviews and special features I just get this niggly air of petulance and general unhappiness.

I could be reading too much into it, but I fear Le Havré saw the real Mahrez and he wasn't popular over there. Hope I'm wrong.

I think people mistake his quietness and the blase way he comes across for arrogance or having an attitude but I don't personally feel that is the case. He is very much a flair player and thought today he tried to make things happen but they didn't come off and although he has no real ability defensively, I saw him working hard to try win balls back and don't think anyone could accuse him of not working for the team, even in scrappy games today that don't suit his style. Could be feeling physically mentally/drained too as you could hardly say he is a player with a great deal of stamina. I think Gray should be on sooner for him if he continues in this way as Gray is capable of creating his own magic. I personally wouldn't accept anything under 45million for him as we really don't need the money these days and I believe it would be crazy to leave us if we are champions and seeded in the champions league. Negotiate a new big money deal with us and give us another year and if a massive team like Barce come knocking, then let him go. I still think he needs another 6-12months playing every week with us, to really get his dream move AND play regularly when/if he moves there.

I think people mistake his quietness and the blase way he comes across for arrogance or having an attitude but I don't personally feel that is the case. He is very much a flair player and thought today he tried to make things happen but they didn't come off and although he has no real ability defensively, I saw him working hard to try win balls back and don't think anyone could accuse him of not working for the team, even in scrappy games today that don't suit his style. Could be feeling physically mentally/drained too as you could hardly say he is a player with a great deal of stamina. I think Gray should be on sooner for him if he continues in this way as Gray is capable of creating his own magic. I personally wouldn't accept anything under 45million for him as we really don't need the money these days and I believe it would be crazy to leave us if we are champions and seeded in the champions league. Negotiate a new big money deal with us and give us another year and if a massive team like Barce come knocking, then let him go. I still think he needs another 6-12months playing every week with us, to really get his dream move AND play regularly when/if he moves there.

I can see no flaws in your logic sir.

Ichyanus time innit? Getting all paranoid heheh! 

It's clear he's exhausted. Even Jamie Vardy was struggling - both of his goals came as a result of Sunderland throwing the kitchen sink at us and playing a very high line (and these were his first city goals in quite a long time). The entire team have been heroes so some of the knee-jerk preceding posts seem incredibly premature and very mean spirited.  :dry:

Yeh ok let's sell Mahrez then the PFA player of the year (no doubt) for 30million. Are you on drugs? We wouldn't be in the top 4 this season without his goals / assists let alone top. I hope he stays at least for our debut in the champions league

He is due a big performance, especially at home. West Ham is the match.

If he is poor again then we should consider dropping/resting him and starting Gray or Schluup against Swansea.

Next week might suit him more.

He'll certainly be tired, he probably has had his head turned (understandably, he's new to the game and you know at least 1 of the big 4/5 in Europe will be getting at his agent, who he's v close with), and he's having to adapt to opponents doubling up on him. 

Bit out of form? Yes.

Amazing season? Yes.

PFA POTY? He'll get it. 

Sell? Blindly criticise? No!!

Kante aside, no one has had a faultless season. And that's pretty much re: the whole of European football.

He'll certainly be tired, he probably has had his head turned (understandably, he's new to the game and you know at least 1 of the big 4/5 in Europe will be getting at his agent, who he's v close with), and he's having to adapt to opponents doubling up on him. 

Bit out of form? Yes.

Amazing season? Yes.

PFA POTY? He'll get it. 

Sell? Blindly criticise? No!!

Kante aside, no one has had a faultless season. And that's pretty much re: the whole of European football.

Edited just as I was going to take the mick haha

As off the boil as he was, if he'd have slotted away the chance he made for himself out of nothing where he beat 3 players, all would have been forgotten.

Riyad has got plenty left to say this season.

He was very poor yesterday. Can't be about confidence either because he's not even doing the simple things - like at times yesterday he wasn't tracking back again. There were a few decent attacking sparks but overall he looked very lacklustre. Thought Gray was good when he came on.

As good a player he is on his day, I've said for a while that he's not got what it takes to compete at the very highest level consistently.

Yes, he has the ability to change a game when he's playing with confidence but his attitude changes when things aren't going his way. It is possibly to be a really good player without being 'great'.

There was something up with him yesterday. His step overs and dribbles weren't working and he struggled to beat a man. It wasn't even as if Sunderland were playing with two fullbacks like Southampton did in an attempt to nullify him. He was kept in his own bloody pocket for almost all of the game.

I'm hoping it's just tiredness, as some have said. It's been a long season and the work these players are being asked to do must be exhausting, even more so when you consider the lack of squad rotation. I'm sure a statistics man can confirm this but I'm sure our usual 11 have completed more minutes on the pitch that any other team in PL history - certainly a side contending the title.

After Gray's contribution these past few weeks, I'd even be prepared to rest Mahrez and let him recharge his batteries.

You're right he is a flair player. the trouble is these type of players seldom do much else for the Team. So when their not on their game they become a liability.

He has been great for us all season, But big players perform in big Matches. if we're serious about winning the league we cannot have passengers.

Kingy or Schlupp I'm sure would have offered more on yesterdays performance.

Anyone in doubt of what's needed at this stage of the season have a look at Spurs yesterday. They where Magnificent all Match and just ground Utd into submission.

And all of their big players performed.

Sat is a crunch game we need everyone at their best.

As good a player he is on his day, I've said for a while that he's not got what it takes to compete at the very highest level consistently.

Yes, he has the ability to change a game when he's playing with confidence but his attitude changes when things aren't going his way. It is possibly to be a really good player without being 'great'.

There was something up with him yesterday. His step overs and dribbles weren't working and he struggled to beat a man. It wasn't even as if Sunderland were playing with two fullbacks like Southampton did in an attempt to nullify him. He was kept in his own bloody pocket for almost all of the game.

I'm hoping it's just tiredness, as some have said. It's been a long season and the work these players are being asked to do must be exhausting, even more so when you consider the lack of squad rotation. I'm sure a statistics man can confirm this but I'm sure our usual 11 have completed more minutes on the pitch that any other team in PL history - certainly a side contending the title.

After Gray's contribution these past few weeks, I'd even be prepared to rest Mahrez and let him recharge his batteries.

This and other posts on this thread are why I'm glad Ranieri is managing this team. 

You'd replace Mahrez at this point of the season with a 19-year-old (albeit talented) kid who has made three appearances (all less than 12 minutes, and all in very specific circumstances) as a substitute since March 1? I can't believe how irrational that is.

Sure, Mahrez isn't lighting up the field lately, but he's still a very serious threat, so much so that teams consistently double-team him. He also won a few important fouls yesterday that helped to relieve pressure from Sunderland.

Mahrez absolutely should start against West Ham, and every other game this season barring an injury or some serious **** ups.

The last couple of games are just that and certainly shouldn't be used as an indictment of Mahrez. Hell, ****in' Leonel Messi isn't playing great hasn't scored in four games. Perhaps Barca should bench him too.

I can't believe some of the comments, if Barca come in for him , snap their hands for 30m......

Let him go, drop him, I heard it at Sunderland yesterday.

He is the best player we have in an attacking sense. Vardy is fantastic but Mahrez goals and assists are invaluable.

He is visibly tired. They are protecting him, and he will come good again, he's not threatened as much in the last couple of matches, but teams adjust to deny him time and space, that in itself creates spaces for others to exploit.

Everyone will be sorry if he went , very sorry

I can't believe some of the comments, if Barca come in for him , snap their hands for 30m......

Let him go, drop him, I heard it at Sunderland yesterday.

He is the best player we have in an attacking sense. Vardy is fantastic but Mahrez goals and assists are invaluable.

He is visibly tired. They are protecting him, and he will come good again, he's not threatened as much in the last couple of matches, but teams adjust to deny him time and space, that in itself creates spaces for others to exploit.

Everyone will be sorry if he went , very sorry

Agreed. Got to say moaned a bit myself yesterday. However, would never want him to leave. He will always have the odd bad day or 2. He has been an absolute pleasure to watch at times also. He does things with a football that we can only dream of and that is why we love the beautiful game and not the bloody egg chasers down the road.

Archived