Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Crazy Stat Time!

13 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

Are we the only club to have a won a match at Wembley in an FA Cup final, a League Cup Final, a Play-off Final and the Charity/Community Shield?

No.

Off the top of my head, I think Ipswich, Wolves, Burnley, West Ham and Bolton have probably done 3 of the 4.

Manchester City have done all 4. Although their play-off final victory was on penalties in the third tier.

Edited by tom27111

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

1st time under Rodgers that we have overturned a 2 goal deficit, not only to win but hadn't even got a draw either from 2 goals down.

Really? That surprises me for some reason. Hopefully we can come from behind more. Two games in a row with instant responses to goals, too. (Vardy after Rashford, Daka after Sobolev). Any stats on how many games in a row next minute responses have happened?

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Really? That surprises me for some reason. Hopefully we can come from behind more. Two games in a row with instant responses to goals, too. (Vardy after Rashford, Daka after Sobolev). Any stats on how many games in a row next minute responses have happened?

I would also like to know how many times we have gone 2-0 in games, not too often based on our league positions last two years.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

No.

Off the top of my head, I think Ipswich, Wolves, Burnley, West Ham and Bolton have probably done 3 of the 4.

Manchester City have done all 4. Although their play-off final victory was on penalties in the third tier.

So it's us and Man City then. Burnley and Bolton have both won the Charity Shield but when they did so the match wasn't played at Wembley. The 1st Charity Shield played there was the infamous 1974 match between Liverpool and Leeds when Keegan and Bremner got sent off and threw their shirts on the pitch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

So it's us and Man City then. Burnley and Bolton have both won the Charity Shield but when they did so the match wasn't played at Wembley. The 1st Charity Shield played there was the infamous 1974 match between Liverpool and Leeds when Keegan and Bremner got sent off and threw their shirts on the pitch.

Aston Villa too, but with a big asterisk next to their name.

They've won them all, but the Charity Shield was drawn 2-2 with Spurs. Before the days of extra time and penalties, so the trophy was shared :thumbup:

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Aston Villa too, but with a big asterisk next to their name.

They've won them all, but the Charity Shield was drawn 2-2 with Spurs. Before the days of extra time and penalties, so the trophy was shared :thumbup:

Looks like you're correct about Villa. Fun fact about them and the League Cup is that they've won the trophy at 3 different venues. They won it at Villa Park in 1961 when the final was played over 2 legs home and away, they won it at Wembley in 1975 when they beat Norwich and they won it in 1977 when they beat Everton at Old Trafford in a 2nd reply after the final and the 1st reply ended in a draw.

I remember that happening. It seems absurd now that you would just keep having replays until the tie was decided but that's how it used to be, There were some epic cup ties that carried on for weeks in those days. Arsenal v Sheff Wed in 1979 went to 4 replays during the Winter of Discontent, the last 3 of which were played at Filbert Street and they were fantastic matches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ceredigion said:

Looks like you're correct about Villa. Fun fact about them and the League Cup is that they've won the trophy at 3 different venues. They won it at Villa Park in 1961 when the final was played over 2 legs home and away, they won it at Wembley in 1975 when they beat Norwich and they won it in 1977 when they beat Everton at Old Trafford in a 2nd reply after the final and the 1st reply ended in a draw.

I remember that happening. It seems absurd now that you would just keep having replays until the tie was decided but that's how it used to be, There were some epic cup ties that carried on for weeks in those days. Arsenal v Sheff Wed in 1979 went to 4 replays during the Winter of Discontent, the last 3 of which were played at Filbert Street and they were fantastic matches.

That's some great knowledge.

Slightly off topic, but I seem to remember Arsenal and Leeds going to multiple replays in an early FA Cup round sometime in the early 90's?

There were at least 3 games, possibly more.

I hate using Google for things like this! Anyone else remember it?

5 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

Thinking about it...

We can match Villa's League Cup record of venues...

Won at Filbert Street in 1964 (over 2 legs), Hillsborough in 1997 (in replay) and Wembley in 2000.

Crazy isn't it??!!

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Thinking about it...

We can match Villa's League Cup record of venues...

Won at Filbert Street in 1964 (over 2 legs), Hillsborough in 1997 (in replay) and Wembley in 2000.

Crazy isn't it??!!

Blow me, you're quite right. It hadn't occurred to me that we'd done it too.

The reason I remember that Arsenal Sheff Wed replays so well is that I went to all 3 replays at Filbert Street. The first 2 matches at Hillsborough and Highbury were both 1-1 draws so they settled on Leicester as a good neutral venue half way on the M1. The first match ended 2-2 after extra time, the 2nd match was played 2 days later and ended 3-3 and the 3rd match was played on the following Monday and Arsenal won 2-0. They were some of the best matches I ever saw at Filbert Street and the ground was absolutely packed out with fans on all 3 occasions with a mixture of Arsenal, Sheffield Wednesday and curious Leicster fans who were there for the ride.

It meant the Arsenal and Sheff Wed had to play 4 games in 7 days because there were league fixtures on the Saturday in the middle

And 2 of those 4 were 120 minutes not 90. Jack Charlton was the Sheff Wed manager at the time and only the week before Filbert Street was the scene of the famous Keith Weller goal in tights against Norwich also in the 3rd round of the Cup. Amazing times. Oh to be 12 again.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ceredigion said:

Blow me, you're quite right. It hadn't occurred to me that we'd done it too.

The reason I remember that Arsenal Sheff Wed replays so well is that I went to all 3 replays at Filbert Street. The first 2 matches at Hillsborough and Highbury were both 1-1 draws so they settled on Leicester as a good neutral venue half way on the M1. The first match ended 2-2 after extra time, the 2nd match was played 2 days later and ended 3-3 and the 3rd match was played on the following Monday and Arsenal won 2-0. They were some of the best matches I ever saw at Filbert Street and the ground was absolutely packed out with fans on all 3 occasions with a mixture of Arsenal, Sheffield Wednesday and curious Leicster fans who were there for the ride.

It meant the Arsenal and Sheff Wed had to play 4 games in 7 days because there were league fixtures on the Saturday in the middle

And 2 of those 4 were 120 minutes not 90. Jack Charlton was the Sheff Wed manager at the time and only the week before Filbert Street was the scene of the famous Keith Weller goal in tights against Norwich also in the 3rd round of the Cup. Amazing times. Oh to be 12 again.

And did the managers bleat on about fixture congestion the whole time or us that a relatively modern phenomenon?

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 20:46, Fox92 said:

I don't think Heskey took scored a penalty in that either?

On 16/10/2021 at 20:48, tom27111 said:

Which is why he's named in the tweet?

On 16/10/2021 at 20:48, Facecloth said:

I know Heskey didn't, he's mentioned in the tweet lol

I totally missed that lol 

Vestergaard started six games across all competitions, but City did not win any of them. Of the other seven City have played this season, they have won six and lost one, the 4-1 thrashing by West Ham.

Rodgers - 

“He’s had to come in and play more games. He didn’t have a long pre-season, and then he picked up an injury. So without a lot of training time and adaption to the team, he’s had to go in to play games.

“I’ve got no doubt his qualities and what he will bring over the short, medium and long term for us.

“When you bring new players in, they’re going to take time to adapt, but we’ve definitely strengthened our squad with the signings and hopefully we’ll see that over the course of the season.”

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 09:55, Captain... said:

And did the managers bleat on about fixture congestion the whole time or us that a relatively modern phenomenon?

I don't remember them complaining about it. There were no penalty shoot-outs back then and both FA Cup and League Cup ties would go to replay after replay if necessary until a winner emerged. Every season there'd be at least one marathon tie that needed 3 or 4 replays to sort it out. Clubs almost always played their strongest team in every match then too and only 1 substitute per team was allowed.

Managers like Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Revie et al just got on with it and expected their players to do the same.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, davieG said:

Vestergaard started six games across all competitions, but City did not win any of them. Of the other seven City have played this season, they have won six and lost one, the 4-1 thrashing by West Ham.

Wow that’s even worse than I thought.

Even West Ham we lost because of 10 men(ironically why we don’t win with him either as it’s effectively 10 men).

Backs up everything I’ve said on his thread and justifies the criticism of him.
That’s a damning statistic.

The last time City played Brentford in the top tier was on April 1st 1939, the day Franco won the Spanish Civil War. We lost 2-0 away and were relegated that season. Less than 12 months previously, we were slammed 10-1 at Wolves. That's more like betting odds than a football result!

• Like 1