Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bristol_foxes

Arsenal away - first five minutes

I think people are over-doing the impact on both sides here, people going in 5 minutes late will barely be noticed (unless it was a whole away end) A big amount of people leaving their seats mid-half may make more of an impression.

And people coming in 5 minutes late is not going to make an impact on the team, there was plenty of latecomers on Saturday.

The conflict this is causing is pathetic.

That's kinda my point.

For this to have an impact either way it would have to be everyone taking part.

But if everyone did it's more likely to have a negative impact on our team than it would have a positive impact on the message that they are trying to put across.  In fact I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have an impact at all on the people they are trying to send the message to.

If East Midlands trains weren't good enough to let people use their train tickets on the Sunday people would have been losing £40 plus on train tickets.

Yes, and I genuinely think that's terrible and that something should be done about it.

I think that the Premier League should ensure that there is a cut-off day beyond which match days can't be changed.

But I don't believe that disrupting Saturday's match will do anything to help achieve this objective, and in fact may negatively affect the team.

- We've got the best chance we've ever had of creating history

- You've already bought a ticket

- You may as well get your moneys worth

- You're lucky enough to get a ticket so don't be a dick and use it for the full 90!!

For the sake of the club can everyone just be in the stand and ****ing stay in the stand from start to finish and support the lads this time?

Take your frustrations out on Sky another time PLEASE

- We've got the best chance we've ever had of creating history

- You've already bought a ticket

- You may as well get your moneys worth

- You're lucky enough to get a ticket so don't be a dick and use it for the full 90!!

For the sake of the club can everyone just be in the stand and ****ing stay in the stand from start to finish and support the lads this time?

Take your frustrations out on Sky another time PLEASE

What about the people who leave on 40 minutes to beat the ques?

The players should be professional enough to get on with their jobs regardless of what is going on in the stands.

I think the "effect on the team" is the red herring here.

Whether or not the protest is right/wrong or not is a different issue, but I don't think the "effect" on the players should be a reason alone to not do it.

Players like to trot out platitudes about how the crowd spur them on, but I think the reality is that they try and block it out to focus on their jobs.

It's not acceptance as such, but I personally don't think that a 5 minutes protest is going to make any difference.

The only way to stop things like this is cutting it off at the source.  Do you really think that millions of people are going to cancel their sky subscription?

The premier league needs to make a rule to prevent this happening again, they need to come to an agreement with sky that they can't  change matches with such short notice, but with the amount of money coming in from sky it's clear to see who has the upper hand and who is really in charge.

People around the world will see an empty away end for 5 minutes and then suddenly it'll all fill up.  If that was any other team, I'd still understand the upset it all caused as a common fan, but then I'd think to myself "but they all still turned up, what's the problem!?" and that's what all the big wigs will see. 

You still went to the game, you still bought your ticket and you still pay you sky subscriptions.

I hate the situation as much as the next man, but I just don't see what this 5 minutes protest will do in terms of anything good.  At such a crucial part of the season, the biggest game of the season, my inner common fan would get the better of me and I'd be in my seat 5 minutes before kick off to scream at my loudest in support of my team, right when they need us most 

It depends what you feel makes a 'Difference'. If it merely gets people talking like Liverpool fans did at the weekend then great - If media outlets report it and it floats round social media then I'd say its done a job it'll prompt other clubs fans to try something and eventually it may gather momentum. 

Of course they are not, which is why I struggle to get the 'cancel your subscription' argument. They do much more than football and 95% of their service is spot on - Darts, Cricket, NFL coverage, movies and box sets for example.

Meaning my issue isn't totally with sky, they've picked a game they want to show (albeit at very poor notice) but its the lack of respect - from all parties (Premier League, Sky etc,) that gets me. We contribute massively to their product, we add value to their product and without us I believe they don't have a product. These issues, they all go hand in hand - moving of games, ridiculous ticket prices and the whole thing is a much wider issue than just one fixture being moved. 

I see this weekend as our chance to make a stand, just as Liverpool made theirs last weekend, and who knows maybe Everton or Villa will do one next weekend, its about fans being together and chipping away if they can. 

Personally I'll be finishing my pint as the game starts and will make my way up in the 5th minute and sing right through till the 95th, I'll also say nothing or have anything against anyone who doesn't join in. 

The players should be professional enough to get on with their jobs regardless of what is going on in the stands.

I think the "effect on the team" is the red herring here.

Whether or not the protest is right/wrong or not is a different issue, but I don't think the "effect" on the players should be a reason alone to not do it.

Players like to trot out platitudes about how the crowd spur them on, but I think the reality is that they try and block it out to focus on their jobs.

I think the players genuinely take energy and confidence from the support of the crowd.

If that support is missing then it may allow Arsenal to take control of the first few minutes. Once they take that control, we might not get it back.

Whether you believe this or not, do you really think it's worth the risk?

I mentioned it earlier..get mailing, go on social media, go on skysports comments of every different pundit and

news and commentary sports platform.Get other clubs forums involved to do the same.

Sorry a poxy 5 minute demonstration on the terraces from 1 club will do nothing..

Just think if this was a weather cancellation, how many fans from 3-4000 away fans does it really affect.

I dont agree with what sky and PL have done. but enough people have mentioned the negatives

or lack of outside interest from a terraces demo.

So get together keep your bookings receipts, and as a collective ask for damages

planned on change of date inconviences.

Has anybody communicated with Arsenal fans and their greviances, dont forget many of their fans

plus soccer fan tourists are also not local.....'Think out of the box'

It depends what you feel makes a 'Difference'. If it merely people talking like Liverpool fans did at the weekend then great - If media outlets report it and it floats round social media then I'd say its done a job it'll prompt other clubs fans to try something and eventually it may gather momentum. 

Of course they are not, which is why I struggle to get the 'cancel your subscription' argument. They do much more than football and 95% of their service is spot on - Darts, Cricket, NFL coverage, movies and box sets for example.

Meaning my issue isn't totally with sky, they've picked a game they want to show (albeit at very poor notice) but its the lack of respect - from all parties (Premier League, Sky etc,) that gets me. We contribute massively to their product, we add value to their product and without us I believe they don't have a product. These issues, they all go hand in hand - moving of games, ridiculous ticket prices and the whole thing is a much wider issue than just one fixture being moved. 

I see this weekend as our chance to make a stand, just as Liverpool made theirs last weekend, and who knows maybe Everton or Villa will do one next weekend, its about fans being together and chipping away if they can. 

Personally I'll be finishing my pint as the game starts and will make my way up in the 5th minute and sing right through till the 95th, I'll also say nothing or have anything against anyone who doesn't join in. 

Good post and I respect your views, although I don't necessarily agree with the bulk of what you say.

The point I would make though is that Liverpool are mid-table. They don't have much to lose by organising a protest right now. You can't say the same about us.

Do you really think that, if they were in the title race, Liverpool fans would have walked out on their team on 77mins?

It depends what you feel makes a 'Difference'. If it merely people talking like Liverpool fans did at the weekend then great - If media outlets report it and it floats round social media then I'd say its done a job it'll prompt other clubs fans to try something and eventually it may gather momentum. 

I get that. I understand it.  The argument is valid, the point is valid.  It should not be allowed to happen.  There should be rules put in place to stop it happening.  But sky run the premier league.  They're allowed to do what they want when they want to.

Turning up to the game and not taking your seat for 5 minutes will not prove anything to them other than the fact that they win, AGAIN.  They have you by your short and curlys, no matter what they do you will always follow.

I said this very early on in the thread and I agree with Bay about the potential for trouble. I've seen it kick off a couple of times myself, one because someone was chanting a "Forest chant" this while we were dominating Newcastle in November.

I'm glad many will respect the those who choose not to take part. I will be in my seat, I personally couldn't bare missing the first five minutes, but I applaud those taking the stance, and for doing it in an organised and respectful fashion.

That being said I am expecting, like you say, trouble from both sides. The snarky lot who think they're superior for staying in the stands, and one or two who people as part of the cohort might try and have a go at those who stayed. I'm also expecting something from people in the stands who might have their view momentarily blocked by a large number of people coming up. Some can get really precious about that. My main hope is that this doesn't turn into a slanging match during the game, especially if we are behind. Can't see there being any trouble if it's like last Saturday though.

(As an aside, I was right in amongst a great lot on the lower tier at Man City. Loved the atmosphere where I was.)

That's cool mate, and If I were still going (I can't go becasue of the re-arrangement), I certainly wouldn't put pressure on people to join in. Likewise I haven't explicitly told people to join in on here, but there seem to be plenty of people telling me what an "idiot", "pathetic fan" etc I would be if I had still been going and joined the protest, but I guess that's the internet for you :)

Good post and I respect your views, although I don't necessarily agree with the bulk of what you say.

The point I would make though is that Liverpool are mid-table. They don't have much to lose by organising a protest right now. You can't say the same about us.

Do you really think that, if they were in the title race, Liverpool fans would have walked out on their team on 77mins?

Thanks, no worries. 

I think it's hard to tell, they'd have done something though, no doubt. I accept your point about the timing of this game, it perhaps isn't ideal but its been further fuelled by the Liverpool / man city wins. Unfortunately you can't really pick and choose these things. 

Here's to each set of fans doing what they have to do, and another 3 points. 

I get that. I understand it.  The argument is valid, the point is valid.  It should not be allowed to happen.  There should be rules put in place to stop it happening.  But sky run the premier league.  They're allowed to do what they want when they want to.

Turning up to the game and not taking your seat for 5 minutes will not prove anything to them other than the fact that they win, AGAIN.  They have you by your short and curlys, no matter what they do you will always follow.

Absolutely, which is why I'll be done with league aways next season. Home games and the European trips only. I'd just like to go knowing somethings at least been attempted. 

It pisses me off that fans who believe in this protest are getting stick. 

Debate on the issue fine, but don't lament other fans who are actually trying, for the sake of fellow Leicester fans and other football fans alike, to get us a better deal in the future.

I appreciate peoples reasons for not joining in, but the funny thing is that if everyone did it - and stopped saying that it's pointless and that we can't change anything - this would have a great effect, as was proven by the Liverpool walkout.

Sky TV and its customers have effectively bankrolled our potential assent to the greatest underdog achievement in the history of team sports

I know people believe anything they're told nowadays but even by those standards, that is unbelievable. You can't actually believe that surely?

You know what the whole post is lunacy. You go on like Sky have specifically helped Leicester. They've helped us keep Vardy? How about we turn it around and say they've also funded those who want him off us? Without them we'd be in the Championship or League One? So using your logic, they've bankrolled everyone else to nicking our position?

You are conjuring up contradictory nonsense to actually defend people who have contempt for fans like you. Astonishing.

It depends what you feel makes a 'Difference'. If it merely gets people talking like Liverpool fans did at the weekend then great - If media outlets report it and it floats round social media then I'd say its done a job it'll prompt other clubs fans to try something and eventually it may gather momentum. 

This is exactly the point.

The media reports on this have already made the boycott a success.  E.g. The first page of "When Saturday Comes" this month discusses the boycott and explains the rationale to the vast majority who wouldn't have otherwise heard about it.

I think the fact Liverpool are midtable is part of the point as well though. They're paying more and more, despite the fact their incoming is going up anyway, to watch them splash absolutely millions to finish below West Ham.

It just shows that everyone who moaned they were inconvenienced by the change have still turned up, they're just sulking in the concourses for five minutes, then the game starts having no support rattles the players. We go one nil down in five minutes ,end up not winning the title. All because of a half arsed way of apparantly sticking it to the man.

Oh my days.

I know people believe anything they're told nowadays but even by those standards, that is unbelievable. You can't actually believe that surely?

You know what the whole post is lunacy. You go on like Sky have specifically helped Leicester. They've helped us keep Vardy? How about we turn it around and say they've also funded those who want him off us? Without them we'd be in the Championship or League One? So using your logic, they've bankrolled everyone else to nicking our position?

You are conjuring up contradictory nonsense to actually defend people who have contempt for fans like you. Astonishing.

Simple couple of question :

Where would we be if Milan still owened us ?

Would we be a keeping club or a selling club ?

And then ask why someone guys in a temple in Thailand would pump maybe 150m into this project ?

Because of the product and the income that sky and BT deliver !

Take away the sky/BT platform and take away the sky/BT income and we are stuck with Milan on our way to being the next Portsmouth !

Not mad at all !

It pisses me off that fans who believe in this protest are getting stick.

Debate on the issue fine, but don't lament other fans who are actually trying, for the sake of fellow Leicester fans and other football fans alike, to get us a better deal in the future.

I appreciate peoples reasons for not joining in, but the funny thing is that if everyone did it - and stopped saying that it's pointless and that we can't change anything - this would have a great effect, as was proven by the Liverpool walkout.

The Liverpool issue and this have totally NOTHING in common !

I also think anyone who protests Should be respected

But I still think it's a crazy idea

Appalling thing to do and you call yourself fans of our club! Your attendance at the game should be to support the team, not to try and prove a point to Sky, there are other ways you can do that why not against Newcastle at home if it is that important to you.

You do not represent Leicester City fans as a whole, stop acting like you do! You are a very small minority who are trying massage Union FS own self importance because of an inconvenience, Grow up!

If like me you are attending on Sunday I urge you to get behind the team from the first minute. We seen on Saturday how important those opening 5 minutes can be. Those few that come in after 5 mins hang your heads in shame

And then ask why someone guys in a temple in Thailand would pump maybe 150m into this project ?

Take away the platform and take away the income and we are stuck with Milan on our way to being the next Portsmouth !

Not mad at all !

Well take away ALL of that and what are you left with?

The fans.

This isn't a question of chicken and the egg.

Fans were here first and they will be here long after the inevitable money bubble bursts.  

Appalling thing to do and you call yourself fans of our club! Your attendance at the game should be to support the team, not to try and prove a point to Sky, there are other ways you can do that why not against Newcastle at home if it is that important to you.

You do not represent Leicester City fans as a whole, stop acting like you do! You are a very small minority who are trying massage Union FS own self importance because of an inconvenience, Grow up!

If like me you are attending on Sunday I urge you to get behind the team from the first minute. We seen on Saturday how important those opening 5 minutes can be. Those few that come in after 5 mins hang your heads in shame

I'll be stood with you at 11.30

Take away the platform and take away the income and we are stuck with Milan on our way to being the next Portsmouth !

Not mad at all !

I thought if this season taught you anything it would be that it's not always how much you spend that gets you where you are.

What's it got to do with Mandaric? You're talking about Sky here. I'm not doubting our owners' influence. They have given our managers backing and they stood by one who built for the long-term.

Do you not see the flaw in your argument that you're talking as if Sky have come in and backed Leicester, but no-one else. You say Sky's money has helped us keep Vardy (although I'd go with something more along the lines of him repaying his loyalty) but would it not be helping say.. Manchester United, if they wanted to buy him?

Sky's money has just bumped the price of everything up. It's bred a culture that you spend your way to success.

Archived