Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bristol_foxes

Arsenal away - first five minutes

My thoughts:

1. This isn't actually a protest against SKY per se, but against the terms of the current broadcasting contract

2. This contract - agreed to by the Premier League authorities - allows games to be changed at very short notice

3. No one is asking for games not to be televised, but simply for fair guarantees over the date for match-attending fans

4. The protest will obviously not be as effective as a ticket boycott - but the will to do this does not exist among any English fanbase (yet)

5. This is a point of principle. Whether Leicester happen to be doing well or badly is irrelevant. 

Convinced most people against this are missing the point. The protest isn't because we have games moved, I think we've all accepted that, it's because it was moved with pathetic notice, after tickets were bought, after travel was sorted. What good LCFC and East Midlands Trains have done shouldn't gloss over what cvnts Sky have been (again) just because Sky sports themselves tell you how much they've done for their own 'product'.

Dan I fully understand, as I do the frustration and annoyances of the inconvenience.

The reason for the late change is due to our unexpected brilliance :)

My point is about the effectiveness of the protest versus possible negative effects. Surely our team and supporting them in this potentially momentous and historic run in has to be our priority?

It's a sky protest , now it's not a sky protest

It's a match being moved process now it's not a match been over protest

It's solidarity with Liverpool now it's solidarity with Bayern

You know what I'm now of the opinion I'll protest too that way I can feel part of the madness Now lol

That's me Im in ! lol

Excellent news, both for Liverpool fans and English football. Shows at least that clubs will still listen to fans, though a shame that such drastic action had to be taken in order to make the point.

Plans for this were made way before anyone even knew about the Liverpool thing. I'd say it was more copying Bayern Munich's.

Liverpool's is working too. Say what you like about how much effect it had on the day, the coverage it's had has turned it into a real talking point.

Theres a massive difference in perspective between the situations though. Liverpool and Bayern Munichs protests were about ticket prices ours is about us not having enough notice that we were on tv. Liverpools has become a talking point because they have every right to be outraged, all of their home games would be £77 which quite frankly is outrageous for a working class city. This protest on the other hand doesn't make sense, and it won't get as much coverage because it really is pointless. As I've said in my previous post, there will be a limited minority who can't make it because of the change that isn't even a days difference. Travel arrangements are being honoured there really isn't much of a difference, people planning to boycott the first 5 minutes are really closed minded. The reason we are where we are today is partly down to sky, because it's paying off our owners investments. As I say, if you are really that offended and upset by the fixture moving 21 hours forward just cancel your sky subscription and do something that will actually make sky think.

I hope like me Yorkie you will turn TV up so you can hear what the sky pundits are saying? :)

I know what they're going to say, sweet fa. They're hardly going to show protests about Sky on Sky unless someone prints out 100,000 fake 10 pound notes and everyone throws them on the pitch. 

Game categorisation will be scrapped. I like that.

I go to watch LEICESTER City regardless. Don't care if it's Walsall or West Brom. Chelsea or MK Dons.

Fcck "silver, gold or platinum" fixtures.

Anyway to those going on Sunday, good luck with your protest. I don't agree with it I think you should be out there roaring the lads on. Good luck getting to your seat on 5 minutes, it'll be more like 15 minutes of the game you miss with all the hold ups

Game categorisation will be scrapped. I like that.

I go to watch LEICESTER City regardless. Don't care if it's Walsall or West Brom. Chelsea or MK Dons.

Fcck "silver, gold or platinum" fixtures.

Anyway to those going on Sunday, good luck with your protest. I don't agree with it I think you should be out there roaring the lads on. Good luck getting to your seat on 5 minutes, it'll be more like 15 minutes of the game you miss with all the hold ups

I'm sure it also said 9 quid general admission for 10000 tickets across a season.

Tennis balls ala Dortmund would've been a better idea. No fan absence during a crucial game in a crucial moment for the club, and impossible for Sky to ignore.

Really hope this doesn't backfire on us and fans come out to 0-1. 

I think people need to realise the ONLY protest sky would take notice of is if people actually cancelled their subscriptions. To be honest I think this is a result of Liverpool boycotting in the 77th minute, seems like people are trying to copy them for some reason. I can tell you for a fact, sky will not give a shit about this protest it will just look like there's bad traffic around the ground forcing people to be late. The thing I don't understand is there will only be a minority who can't make it because of the actual day change, train travel companies are honouring the tickets already purchased and if you've booked a hotel you can stay over on the Saturday watch the football on the Sunday and go home the same day. I really cannot see the point in boycotting the first 5 minutes in such a crucial game as this, utterly pointless 'protest' imo.

Excellently put and extremely valid point about the looking like there's been some bad traffic.

I will also throw in the irritation of walking past people, trying to watch the game, as you look for your seats, nearly as irritating as the go down early for a rank pie and dishwater pint brigade!

It could actually be really irritating for fellow foxes fans and look a bit sad.

If you guys planning to protest think the disruption will achieve something beyond irritating your fellow fans then go for it. I don't think you should and hope you don't but if you do I really look forward to hearing what it's achieved.

I think people need to realise the ONLY protest sky would take notice of is if people actually cancelled their subscriptions. To be honest I think this is a result of Liverpool boycotting in the 77th minute, seems like people are trying to copy them for some reason. I can tell you for a fact, sky will not give a shit about this protest it will just look like there's bad traffic around the ground forcing people to be late. The thing I don't understand is there will only be a minority who can't make it because of the actual day change, train travel companies are honouring the tickets already purchased and if you've booked a hotel you can stay over on the Saturday watch the football on the Sunday and go home the same day. I really cannot see the point in boycotting the first 5 minutes in such a crucial game as this, utterly pointless 'protest' imo.

So if you fall into the following categories you can just suck it up then -

You've booked on any other route other than Leicester - St. Pancras.

You've booked on a service coach.

You've booked your hotel on Friday night because you need to be somewhere else on saturday night.

Etc.

The point is that people need to know that the game won't be switched at short notice. End of.

I am now travelling down on Saturday with non refundable / non changeable travel tickets.

Back home Sat evening. Then back down on Sunday for the game.

And i shouldn' t moan about it?

Sod off.

Theres a massive difference in perspective between the situations though. Liverpool and Bayern Munichs protests were about ticket prices ours is about us not having enough notice that we were on tv. Liverpools has become a talking point because they have every right to be outraged, all of their home games would be £77 which quite frankly is outrageous for a working class city. This protest on the other hand doesn't make sense, and it won't get as much coverage because it really is pointless. As I've said in my previous post, there will be a limited minority who can't make it because of the change that isn't even a days difference. Travel arrangements are being honoured there really isn't much of a difference, people planning to boycott the first 5 minutes are really closed minded. The reason we are where we are today is partly down to sky, because it's paying off our owners investments. As I say, if you are really that offended and upset by the fixture moving 21 hours forward just cancel your sky subscription and do something that will actually make sky think.

1.) A limited minority being shafted should not happen, I cannot get my head around the mindset that it is acceptable for Sky to move a game with such little notice, just because some fans were able to (thanks largely to the unforeseen generosity of travel companies, etc) adapt their arrangements and get to the games. Sky have treated us with zero respect and it is an issue.

2.) Really? Closed minded? For wanting to stand up and show that this sort of behaviour is unacceptable? I'd argue that not partaking because the rearrangement didn't hurt you and we are benefiting from Sky $$$ is more closed minded, however I respect anyone's right not to protest.

3.) The potential for money also encouraged dozens of other owners to invest, it's just that we've done it better. We can thrive without Sky, it hasn't suited us more than any other club.

4.) 3,000 empty seats when Riyad tucks away an early goal in a pivotal title race game will hurt Sky more than 3,000 subscription cancellations, which is a drop in the ocean to them - not to mention the fact that they provide other excellent services.

Ultimately the protest will probably have little effect because too many are happy to let Sky get away with it, but 3,000 empty seats would make a difference, it would get coverage (social media, rival media outlets) and it would send a message - Liverpool's protest got people talking. It is unlikely to have any impact on the players, and if it does, so what? Should we lie down and accept Sky treating us with contempt just because we are doing well? I am sure Liverpool fans are delighted they lost their lead, it will make 0 difference to their season and their point has been made on a national scale, and change has happened. Granted, the situations are different, but the point remains that it is a matter of principle, and for me it is a shame that the initial wave of outrage and anger has subsided into acceptance and even denial. A fan who protests is not any less of a fan.

So if you fall into the following categories you can just suck it up then -

You've booked on any other route other than Leicester - St. Pancras.

You've booked on a service coach.

You've booked your hotel on Friday night because you need to be somewhere else on saturday night.

Etc.

The point is that people need to know that the game won't be switched at short notice. End of.

I am now travelling down on Saturday with non refundable / non changeable travel tickets.

Back home Sat evening. Then back down on Sunday for the game.

And i shouldn' t moan about it?

Sod off.

This. It is obvious that Sky pay billions for TV rights. They are going to want to move games, of course. But there has to be a cut off, whereby fans can be assured, more or less, that the game will take place on the date scheduled. Of course, postponements can still happen, which also inconvenience travel/accommodation plans.

There has to be a limit. 14 days/21 days/ 28 days. whatever. Just agree it and then we all know where we stand

Season ticket holder until we got promoted to the Prem (very unfortunate circumstances).

I have only been able to see Crystal Palace this year. I did arrange to have a ticket for this on the Saturday.

Now I can't go. It's not just switching times but days.

I've paid and watched for many years and feel cheated. Paid to watch Div 1 and on the one day I get to go away during this dream time I can't. I support everyone who is not in their seats for the kick off. It's only a few minutes.

1.) A limited minority being shafted should not happen, I cannot get my head around the mindset that it is acceptable for Sky to move a game with such little notice, just because some fans were able to (thanks largely to the unforeseen generosity of travel companies, etc) adapt their arrangements and get to the games. Sky have treated us with zero respect and it is an issue.

2.) Really? Closed minded? For wanting to stand up and show that this sort of behaviour is unacceptable? I'd argue that not partaking because the rearrangement didn't hurt you and we are benefiting from Sky $$$ is more closed minded, however I respect anyone's right not to protest.

3.) The potential for money also encouraged dozens of other owners to invest, it's just that we've done it better. We can thrive without Sky, it hasn't suited us more than any other club.

4.) 3,000 empty seats when Riyad tucks away an early goal in a pivotal title race game will hurt Sky more than 3,000 subscription cancellations, which is a drop in the ocean to them - not to mention the fact that they provide other excellent services.

Ultimately the protest will probably have little effect because too many are happy to let Sky get away with it, but 3,000 empty seats would make a difference, it would get coverage (social media, rival media outlets) and it would send a message - Liverpool's protest got people talking. It is unlikely to have any impact on the players, and if it does, so what? Should we lie down and accept Sky treating us with contempt just because we are doing well? I am sure Liverpool fans are delighted they lost their lead, it will make 0 difference to their season and their point has been made on a national scale, and change has happened. Granted, the situations are different, but the point remains that it is a matter of principle, and for me it is a shame that the initial wave of outrage and anger has subsided into acceptance and even denial. A fan who protests is not any less of a fan.

A fan who protests is no less of a fan true and nor is a fan who decides it's pointless!

It is an inconvenience granted but it's only to be expected surely considering the magnitude of the game?

They did give 3 weeks notice

3000 people taking part/empty seats as Riyad scores hurts sky? Please please please tell me how that would hurt Sky?

I will be very surprised if 200 take part but I look forward to seeing the impact and magnitude of the hurt.

There is no comparison whatsoever to the Liverpool protest and ours, theres was totally understandable and not based on a few throwing their toys out and I'm sorry this is how this will look and be portrayed!

And the initial outpouring is typical of the fans kneejerk reactions I'm afraid and given time to reflect most have realised it's daft thankfully. This is my opinion and doesn't make me any less of a fan.

The Premiet League would NOT be what we are primarily loving if it wasn't for Sky!

A fan who protests is no less of a fan true and nor is a fan who decides it's pointless!

It is an inconvenience granted but it's only to be expected surely considering the magnitude of the game?

3000 people taking part/empty seats as Riyad scores hurts sky? Please please please tell me how that would hurt Sky?

I will be very surprised if 200 take part but I look forward to seeing the impact and magnitude of the hurt.

There is no comparison whatsoever to the Liverpool protest and ours, theres was totally understandable and not based on a few throwing their toys out and I'm sorry this is how this will look and be portrayed!

And the initial outpouring is typical of the fans kneejerk reactions I'm afraid and given time to reflect most have realised it's daft thankfully. This is my opinion and doesn't make me any less of a fan.

The Premiet League would NOT be what we are primarily loving if it wasn't for Sky!

Only to be expected? That's a horrendous attitude, why should we expect Sky to walk all over us? I didn't say a fan who decides it is pointless is any less of a true fan, I would argue it's a fairly selfish and short-term mindset but they have a right to do that.

3,000 empty seats on camera would hurt Sky the same way that a walkout hurt Liverpool FC. As I've said, evidently it won't send the same message if just 200 join in, which is a shame. It would send a clear global message, and I don't see how it is not understandable to be aggrieved about this. 

Football existed before Sky you know, and it should be no excuse for them to treat the fans with contempt.

The whole problem isn't purely the fact the fixture was moved as that's part of modern football. But moving after it had sold out with only 3 weeks notice which is nothing where they could of moved the fixture weeks earlier before the tickets went on sale. I think football fans in general not just those affected should feel angry at this and have every right to be. However no one should feel forced into boycotting and those that don't can use other ways to send they're message to sky. 

Only to be expected? That's a horrendous attitude, why should we expect Sky to walk all over us? I didn't say a fan who decides it is pointless is any less of a true fan, I would argue it's a fairly selfish and short-term mindset but they have a right to do that.

3,000 empty seats on camera would hurt Sky the same way that a walkout hurt Liverpool FC. As I've said, evidently it won't send the same message if just 200 join in, which is a shame. It would send a clear global message, and I don't see how it is not understandable to be aggrieved about this.

Football existed before Sky you know, and it should be no excuse for them to treat the fans with contempt.

One game moved at short notice in our premier league history maybe 500 games ?

Let's have some perspective

But I repeat its not something we should ignore , but I cannot agree to the team not being supported as they take the field and start one of the most important games in the clubs history

Who was the genius that could dream up an action like this ?

There are better ways and probably more effective

Personally hate what Sky has done to fixtures etc. But I'll be supporting the boys from KO in such a big game and don't think it would make any difference to sky what-so-ever. Fans have done this before and Sky take no notice, it's all about the £££ unfortunately. Fair play whoever does this but it's not for me, I'm paying to watch the game and hopefully encourage the boys on the field into playing the best football of their lives.

BLUE ARMY!

Archived