Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

England Euro 2016

Pretty disgusted looking at the list of midfielders that could be going and Albrighton hasn't even once been mentioned as a candidate. Is he Scottish or something?!

I mean Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Wilshere? I saw one list with Ashley Young in it. Ashley Fvcking Young, seriously???!

I'll make a prediction now so that I can see how accurate I was later.

Hodgson will play Kane and Rooney up front in the first match. Vardy will either be left on the bench or be played out wide. Rooney will be poor, obviously, and will also stifle any attempt we make to play up tempo, energetic football. If Vardy is brought on for Rooney, or moved centrally, we'll improve and play more like we did in the recent friendlies.

Hodgson will try the same thing again in the next game, hoping that was just a one-off. He'll be wrong, of course.

The 1st and joint 2nd top scorers in the PL are English for once - you'd have to be clinically insane as England manager to not pick them both in their best position. I suppose you could argue that they could be another Gerrard/Lampard partnership that just doesn't work, for whatever reason. We saw in the friendlies no evidence for this argument, though, and I think they would only get better as a strikeforce the longer they play together.

Besides, I would be able to see where the manager was coming from if the player picked ahead of either of them was a good, in-form striker who would add something. Rooney is none of those things. If he gets the nod, it's going to based on absolutely nothing more than his name, and the fact that he's captain. Sad but true.

Kane: 25 goals - 1st in PL top scorers

Vardy: 24 goals - 2nd in PL top scorers

Rooney: 7 goals - doesn't even make top 25 scorers list

I reckon Rooney will get in the team for the first game even if he's barely fit. Hopefully, it will be painfully obvious to everyone as to who the better player is early on, and Hodgson will be forced to make what is clearly the correct call before it's too late.

Prove me wrong, Roy.

Shame they're not all Spanish. Probably would've have won the tournament without turning up. :rolleyes:

Smalling has had a great season and will have a good tournament, it's just a shame that we don't really have a great partner for him although the obvious choice seems like Cahill.

Think we'll have a good tournament. We won't win it I don't think even though there's no reason we can't - we've just beat the current world champions in their own back yard. We just seem to have this thing about failing in major tournaments. Can't wait for it all though, can't beat two games a day in June when the domestic season is at it's quietest.

Why do you keep making this weird snipe at me?

Hodgson will play Kane and Rooney up front in the first match. Vardy will either be left on the bench or be played out wide. Rooney will be poor, obviously, and will also stifle any attempt we make to play up tempo, energetic football. If Vardy is brought on for Rooney, or moved centrally, we'll improve and play more like we did in the recent friendlies.

Hodgson will try the same thing again in the next game, hoping that was just a one-off. He'll be wrong, of course.

The 1st and joint 2nd top scorers in the PL are English for once - you'd have to be clinically insane as England manager to not pick them both in their best position. I suppose you could argue that they could be another Gerrard/Lampard partnership that just doesn't work, for whatever reason. We saw in the friendlies no evidence for this argument, though, and I think they would only get better as a strikeforce the longer they play together.

Besides, I would be able to see where the manager was coming from if the player picked ahead of either of them was a good, in-form striker who would add something. Rooney is none of those things. If he gets the nod, it's going to based on absolutely nothing more than his name, and the fact that he's captain. Sad but true.

I reckon Rooney will get in the team for the first game even if he's barely fit. Hopefully, it will be painfully obvious to everyone as to who the better player is early on, and Hodgson will be forced to make what is clearly the correct call before it's too late.

Prove me wrong, Roy.

I 100% think Rooney will start the first game. But I think he will start it in Central Midfield. 

Might shut a few people up including me who thought Hodgson was dismissive towards Vardy. I know it's almost impossible to not rate Vardy after this season but Hodgson has gone out of his way on a few occasions now to lavish Vardy with praise and stick up for him. Let's hope he does the business for him this summer. I think he will.

And me. Happy to hold my hands up.

Prove me wrong, Roy.

Wouldn't disagree with that. I get what you're saying about Lampard & Gerrard but I see more reason that Kane & Vardy will work as a pairing. It's managing to get that partnership there whilst retaining a balance over the rest of the side that concerns me, I'm struggling to think of anything obvious. Something about the diamond doesn't convince me although what do I know.

Wouldn't disagree with that. I get what you're saying about Lampard & Gerrard but I see more reason that Kane & Vardy will work as a pairing. It's managing to get that partnership there whilst retaining a balance over the rest of the side that concerns me, I'm struggling to think of anything obvious. Something about the diamond doesn't convince me although what do I know.

The diamond doesn't convince me either but it is 100% the correct formation given the horrendous form of the wingers; the number of central midfielders performing well; the form of the fullbacks and the form of two strikers.

It needs to be played like Spurs play their formation, Dier holding and Clyne and Rose providing the width. Alli at the top of the diamond, Kane and Vardy up front. England need to play to their strengths which are up front, central midfield and full back.

I can't see how Rooney won't be shoehorned in there though despite his terrible form and injury riddled season.

The diamond doesn't convince me either but it is 100% the correct formation given the horrendous form of the wingers; the number of central midfielders performing well; the form of the fullbacks and the form of two strikers.

It needs to be played like Spurs play their formation, Dier holding and Clyne and Rose providing the width. Alli at the top of the diamond, Kane and Vardy up front. England need to play to their strengths which are up front, central midfield and full back.

I can't see how Rooney won't be shoehorned in there though despite his terrible form and injury riddled season.

Yep I agree with all of that. Rooney I'd take in the squad as the bloke will be useful for helping us see out a lead I think, as he can retain the ball. No way would I start him though.

It's our wide options and centre halves that worry me. I think the rest of the side is strong.

Yep I agree with all of that. Rooney I'd take in the squad as the bloke will be useful for helping us see out a lead I think, as he can retain the ball. No way would I start him though.

It's our wide options and centre halves that worry me. I think the rest of the side is strong.

Retain the ball? His passing is horrific I think

Retain the ball? His passing is horrific I think

I think he'll generally retain the ball when he gets it. He's not what he was but he isn't completely useless. Like I say I'd use him sparingly to see games out.

I 100% think Rooney will start the first game. But I think he will start it in Central Midfield. 

It'll be a defensive negative set-up, despite knowing when we attack we're a good team. All the top coaches in the world would turn round and tell yer that you'd be foolish to start Rooney ahead of Vardy... but we've got Woy running things round here.

Absolutely right.

I just know it's going to be even more frustrating than normal watching England in a tournament when we could have a really good team on our hands this time.

Exactly how bad a season does Rooney have to have before his reputation matches his ability?

It's really sad to say it, but I really hope Rooney plays Sunday and pulls a hammy or something.

It's our only hope.

We'll still take him with a pulled hammy. As cruel as it might be we really need him to tear something, like a ligament, or even break a leg. It's for the greater good.

Some of the media reporting Drinks will only be on standby list as Wilshere and Henderson will be picked.

1.Hart

2.Forster

3.Heaton

4.Walker

5.Clyne

6.Stones

7.Smalling

8.Cahill

9.Rose

10.Bertrand

11.Dier

12.Wilshere

13.Henderson

14.Milner

15.Alli

16.Barkley

17.Lallana

18.Sterling

19. Hopefully Drinkwater but I bet he picks Townsend / Walcott

20.Sturridge

21.Kane

22.Vardy

23.Rooney

I reckon we'll start with

Hart

Clyne

Smalling

Cahill

Rose

Dier

Wilshere

Lallana

Rooney

Sterling

Kane

looks totally uninspiring enough to be an england team, that. 

think alli starts though. not sure where or who for but pretty sure he will. milner too. 

ill go;

hart 

anyone anyone anyone anyone 

dier 

alli wilshere 

rooney kane milner 

or some other bullshit. i also had a thought that he might play sturridge and kane but can't work out how we're getting 2 forwards in the team tbh. 

looks totally uninspiring enough to be an england team, that. 

think alli starts though. not sure where or who for but pretty sure he will. milner too. 

ill go;

hart 

anyone anyone anyone anyone 

dier 

alli wilshere 

rooney kane milner 

or some other bullshit. i also had a thought that he might play sturridge and kane but can't work out how we're getting 2 forwards in the team tbh. 

Forgot about Alli, probably chuck Rooney a bit further forward and play a diamond with Dier, Wilshire, Lallana and Alli, Sterling on the bench  :S

Rumours that andros Townsend is in?

Drinkwater is going to miss out isn't he.

Why would Townsend's inclusion, which I would say is to replace Welbeck, have any baring on Drinkwater? If he misses out he'd have missed out whether Townsend got the call or not.

Rumours that andros Townsend is in?

Drinkwater is going to miss out isn't he.

You're probably right.

What's the betting that DD doesn't even get in the squad and Wilshere gets injured in the first game?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Why would Townsend's inclusion, which I would say is to replace Welbeck, have any baring on Drinkwater? If he misses out he'd have missed out whether Townsend got the call or not.

Wasn't really comparing the two, they were different statements.

But you could argue that Roy could take the extra midfielder, like Drinkwater, and play the diamond but it seems by taking Townsend he is still looking to play 433.

Archived