Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Pick up the new motor tomorrow, I feel sick. I’ve bought four cars in my life - a Vauxhall Victor estate for £100 that lasted three months, a Polski Fiat for £50 that lasted around 32 minutes before being scrapped, a Citroen Diane for £250 that lasted a winter, and a Jeep Cherokee I got from an alcoholic French diplomat in Caracas for a grand.

The last one never died which is why I decided it was the only brand for me. I gave it away to a lad in the barrio when we left because it wouldn’t fit in a plane’s overhead locker. I was sad. 

I think I’m mainly feeling sick because of the cost of it - it’s the same amount we paid for our first house. All cars ought to cost £1000 or less. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Ahhh, too kind Geoff. It was fun finding you something. 

Just glad I've got your personal number, my mates who listen to Talksport refuse to belive I know you, until I screenshot my WhatsApp contacts lol

I mean you act like you're all proud to know @UpTheLeagueFoxbut did you hear him on Hawksbee & Jacobs show earlier? 

His gags about 'Living next door to Chalice', 'Dumphries & Galloway' and 'LQ Brookes' were just shockingly bad. I was almost embarrassed to call him a friend :D

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I mean you act like you're all proud to know @UpTheLeagueFoxbut did you hear him on Hawksbee & Jacobs show earlier? 

His gags about 'Living next door to Chalice', 'Dumphries & Galloway' and 'LQ Brookes' were just shockingly bad. I was almost embarrassed to call him a friend :D

Oh come on.... Living Next Door To Challis was inspired !! The others, I agree lol

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Oh come on.... Living Next Door To Challis was inspired !! The others, I agree lol

It was a great listen mate tbf. The birthday spread is always good fun.
“Here’s Geoff Peters keeping the score live from his East Midlands nerve centre’ :D

Edited by Izzy
  • Thanks 1

Took a new grandland X out for a test drive last night. Salesmen was good and helpful and his manager did come and see us, did like it but also interested in a koroq, 3008 c5 air cross.They’ve got limited stock so looking like I might miss out as I’ve got an absolute  fortune to pay out in the next week or so. They gave me more than I was expecting for mine and knocked about £60 a month of the original deal plus all the usual dealer discounts and halved the holding fee. A few weeks from now and I’d probably have done it. Spoke to my dad about it and he said if you think it’s best to wait then wait, there’s always a car waiting for you. It was the first time I’ve dealt with a dealership but they were very good, relaxed and helpful. 

• Like 1

I spoke to @UpTheLeagueFox at Copenhagen airport and bought his bloody Brian Little book before he was a superstar- I dont get a fecking invite to see his "Nerve center"....actually ...i think that's his chat up line after his DJ stint on Friday nights!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Raj said:

I spoke to @UpTheLeagueFox at Copenhagen airport and bought his bloody Brian Little book before he was a superstar- I dont get a fecking invite to see his "Nerve center"....actually ...i think that's his chat up line after his DJ stint on Friday nights!!!!

lol It's only because me and @Izzy were school mates - but thanks for buying the book Raj, much appreciated, as crap as it was!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

lol It's only because me and @Izzy were school mates - but thanks for buying the book Raj, much appreciated, as crap as it was!

Book wasnt THAT crap.....lol

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1

Right, I’m hoping someone may be able help me with a leak I’m having at the rear of my car - it seems to be diesel from the smell and coming from a random tube near my suspension. I have no idea and it’s be nice to know if it’s a ‘call a mechanic right now your car’s about to go very wrong’ or ‘ring a mechanic but keep driving until you can an appointment in a week or so’ kind of issue!

Any help/advice would be most appreciated. 

It’s a Ford CMax Diesel and behind the rear wheel on the same side of the fuel cap (picture added):

33DF5839-DECD-410B-8110-A8E4BB7F12D7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Phube said:

Right, I’m hoping someone may be able help me with a leak I’m having at the rear of my car - it seems to be diesel from the smell and coming from a random tube near my suspension. I have no idea and it’s be nice to know if it’s a ‘call a mechanic right now your car’s about to go very wrong’ or ‘ring a mechanic but keep driving until you can an appointment in a week or so’ kind of issue!

It’s a Ford CMax Diesel and behind the rear wheel on the same side of the fuel cap (picture added):

I'm far from an expert on anything mechanical and I don't want to worry or panic you, but I'd get it looked at sooner rather than later.

There's a possibility it could be brake fluid and you certainly don't want an issue with your brakes.

Hopefully not too serious or expensive to fix. Let us know how you get on :thumbup:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm far from an expert on anything mechanical and I don't want to worry or panic you, but I'd get it looked at sooner rather than later.

There's a possibility it could be brake fluid and you certainly don't want an issue with your brakes.

Hopefully not too serious or expensive to fix. Let us know how you get on :thumbup:

Well after much searching on the net I think I’ve solved what the tube is at least:

There's a rubber breather pipe which hangs down just behind the rear right wheel. Sometimes you get insects crawling up there and blocking it.. Its not to hard to get to poke a thin wire up it to loosen any dead bodies or better still if you can rig up something to suck it out.

At least it’s not brake fluid! Though why it was leaking is another problem! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phube said:

That looks to me like the overflow drain from the fuel filler. Have you recently filled up with diesel and maybe spilt some around the top the filler pipe? If you look, there might be a small drainage hole next to it. There is one on my car that drains any spillage away.

Edit. Posted before I saw you'd solved the problem.

Edited by Parafox

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

That looks to me like the overflow drain from the fuel filler. Have you recently filled up with diesel and maybe spilt some around the top the filler pipe? If you look, there might be a small drainage hole next to it. There is one on my car that drains any spillage away.

I had filled up on Wednesday and it seems to have been leaking since then. Also after putting a tub under to catch any drops there have been none. And I do have a hole below my filler cap.

Could explain it.

They’ve given me a Passat estate GTE as a company car for now. Lovey to drive and when it’s on electric mode it is a really strange feeling. Annoying though outside my house someone didn’t hear me coming and I wanted to reverse up my drive they just stood their facing the other way. I didn’t know what to do so my son wound down the window and went “move along folks” lol.

thinking they’ll move me to full electric sooner or later 

• Haha 1

On 21/08/2021 at 13:48, SystonFox said:

They’ve given me a Passat estate GTE as a company car for now. Lovey to drive and when it’s on electric mode it is a really strange feeling. Annoying though outside my house someone didn’t hear me coming and I wanted to reverse up my drive they just stood their facing the other way. I didn’t know what to do so my son wound down the window and went “move along folks” lol.

thinking they’ll move me to full electric sooner or later 

How you finding it mate?

Ridiculous that a 1.4 engine can perform like that! 

Absolutely rapid, especially if you stick it in GTE mode. So clever how the electric engine kicks in. 

Does around 30 miles on electric only, if I remember correctly? 

Usually more than enough for a daily commute.

I'm more familiar with the Golf GTE to be honest, but the Passat is a great car.

57 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

How you finding it mate?

Ridiculous that a 1.4 engine can perform like that! 

Absolutely rapid, especially if you stick it in GTE mode. So clever how the electric engine kicks in. 

Does around 30 miles on electric only, if I remember correctly? 

Usually more than enough for a daily commute.

I'm more familiar with the Golf GTE to be honest, but the Passat is a great car.

Only had it since Thursday last and it’s fascinating. Had a blast of GTE mode on the a6 today and it was interesting! 

supposedly 34 miles electric which is a great little start really. My commute is over double that :-/ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SystonFox said:

Only had it since Thursday last and it’s fascinating. Had a blast of GTE mode on the a6 today and it was interesting! 

supposedly 34 miles electric which is a great little start really. My commute is over double that :-/ 

You've got a fair commute then, but if you can plug in at work, you're effectively saving 60 miles of fuel a day.

Enjoy the car. You've got the best of both worlds, economy and performance. Plus loads of space. 

• Like 1

I never thought it'd be this difficult to get a home charging box installed: car not listed for a subsidy, companies not prepared to come to quote, and daft reports of lead times to installation. Good job I didn't go 100% electric.

I've got a bolt - complete with washer - stuck in my tyre. Only noticed it when driving yesterday with the roof down, and heard the clack clack clack. I don't know how long it's been in there. 

What's the recommendation here? Kwik Fit for a repair jobby? 

PHOTO-2021-08-22-17-22-17.thumb.jpg.ee4f407c050d1c8108ab3f5878f226a8.jpg

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

I've got a bolt - complete with washer - stuck in my tyre. Only noticed it when driving yesterday with the roof down, and heard the clack clack clack. I don't know how long it's been in there. 

What's the recommendation here? Kwik Fit for a repair jobby? 

PHOTO-2021-08-22-17-22-17.thumb.jpg.ee4f407c050d1c8108ab3f5878f226a8.jpg

probs just dont put the roof down and turn your radio up problems gone then :)

But yeah if your tyre is in decent nick tread wise then a fix would be the best option. 

• Thanks 1