Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City v West Ham post match thread 2 - 2

Too much going on about the ref here. Yes, he was bad, but we need to also analyse/rate/discuss the team performance in somewhat adverse circumstances... overall we played well and deserved a point at least.

We controlled the game well until the sending off. I thought Fuchs was at fault at least making two mistakes leading to the Antonio cross that lead to the creswell goal. Although overall played brilliantly in a hard game. Simpson was great against Payet for most of the game.

I thought Amartey should have been out closer to cresswell closing him down.

The big guys at the back will need to review their defending tactics for the swansea game, as the spotlight will be on Huth and Morgan at set pieces and corners no doubt. I can see Swansea trying to take advantage of that.

I thought Kante and Drinky had an average game as did Albrighton and Mahrez. Vardy was a threat all game and very unlucky to get sent off. Shinji does what he does, but will need to step up in the next game and do a bit more.

Was very impressed with the coolness showed by Ulloa when he came on, he actually held on to the ball and started some attacks in a calm manner. But in terms of attributes he is everything Vardy is not. So will be interesting to see what Ranieri does next game.

We are all pi**ed off at the refs performance, but we seriously need to look at our own players performance as well to identify the mistakes we made in the game. That's something we can affect and change. Crowd was good in mnost parts too, but was dissapointed to learn people were shuttling out with minutes to play. Even if we did lose - We need to back the players and lift them after such a hard game.

Great post..spot on.

Far too much pre-match media for the players imo. Big interviews with Marhez, Fuchs Albrighton this week plus more. I think we need to keep a lower profile for the rest of season and celebrate afterwards. Grappling decsision was still the big turning point and bearing in mind Huth actually had his shirt ripped off in the box a couple of games ago you cant blame our cb's from not expecting it to be given.

Too much going on about the ref here. Yes, he was bad, but we need to also analyse/rate/discuss the team performance in somewhat adverse circumstances... overall we played well and deserved a point at least.

We controlled the game well until the sending off. I thought Fuchs was at fault at least making two mistakes leading to the Antonio cross that lead to the creswell goal. Although overall played brilliantly in a hard game. Simpson was great against Payet for most of the game.

I thought Amartey should have been out closer to cresswell closing him down.

The big guys at the back will need to review their defending tactics for the swansea game, as the spotlight will be on Huth and Morgan at set pieces and corners no doubt. I can see Swansea trying to take advantage of that.

I thought Kante and Drinky had an average game as did Albrighton and Mahrez. Vardy was a threat all game and very unlucky to get sent off. Shinji does what he does, but will need to step up in the next game and do a bit more.

Was very impressed with the coolness showed by Ulloa when he came on, he actually held on to the ball and started some attacks in a calm manner. But in terms of attributes he is everything Vardy is not. So will be interesting to see what Ranieri does next game.

We are all pi**ed off at the refs performance, but we seriously need to look at our own players performance as well to identify the mistakes we made in the game. That's something we can affect and change. Crowd was good in mnost parts too, but was dissapointed to learn people were shuttling out with minutes to play. Even if we did lose - We need to back the players and lift them after such a hard game.

I thought we were second-best for large parts. We only had two shots on target and arguably West Ham had the better chances. The sending off changed the entire complexity of the game as I thought we had just turned a corner and were starting to get on top, only to lose all momentum suddenly. It felt similar to the Arsenal game where we were desperate to clear and rarely got a foot on the ball.

Ulloa was brilliant as you say and took as cool a penalty as you're likely to see under such circumstances. He even did a lot of harrying and chasing despite his lack of pace and his control was superb. Would feel fine knowing him and Okazaki starting up front against Swansea, or even in front of Mahrez with Schlupp and Albrighton out wide.

Fuchs was put under pressure by Kanté's poor headed 'clearance', but obviously Antonio should not have been allowed to go past Ulloa and Fuchs in one go. Take nothing away from that Creswell strike though, superb hit. I'm sure some haters will blame Kasper for it too....

Speaking of Kasper, what a stunning save from Kouyaté! Obviously a taller keeper could maybe have dealt with that header and Creswell's shot better, but I thought he was one of our best performers yesterday. Great throw out to Mahrez and caught what he was supposed to catch, although was lucky that Reid's flick didn't go in.

Just watched MOTD and very disappointed that neither Shearer nor Wright acknowledged that Ogbonna was the first to initiate contact by clearly grabbing Vardy's upper arm and holding on for several yards, before going down!! They completely omitted that fact, along with the presenter and inferred that Ogbonna never made any contact whatsoever, before Vardy wrapped his legs around him!!?

Also, call me a paranoid, narcissistic fool but I didn't like the way the presenter (whatever his name is) opened the show with the line "Leicester have been punching above their weight the whole season...". I took that as a backhanded compliment at best.. Smug so and so!!

I'm glad at least someone could see the initial contact. Ogbonna was clearly trying to stop Vardy getting away. At that initial point it's a penalty. Everything that happened afterwards was incidental really although a consequence of what happened in the first place.      

Don't think this has been mentioned yet but Vardy's first booking may have had a lot to do with the incident in the 16th minute when Vardy fouled Obiang. It was a worse foul than the one that got him the booking, and I reckon Moss must have thought 'that's his last chance'. There was a bit of verbals between the two of them (Vardy and Moss) after the incident (lip readers will probably be able to work out what Vardy says).

sadly I feel the same.. I always thought they would not allow us to win the thing.....

Yesterday, added to the robbery in the FA Cup at Spurs recently through a referee who the cameras clearly showed couldn't see the incident, and the blatant injustice against Chelsea in the FA Cup thanks to Mike Reed - why the reluctance to use video evidence?. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-cup-leicester-v-chelsea-3307229

Yesterday, added to the robbery in the FA Cup at Spurs recently through a referee who the cameras clearly showed couldn't see the incident, and the blatant injustice against Chelsea in the FA Cup thanks to Mike Reed - why the reluctance to use video evidence?. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-cup-leicester-v-chelsea-3307229

Even if there was video evidence vardy would still have been sent off. Every single pundit/ref and fans who understand football says it was a dive

I'm glad at least someone could see the initial contact. Ogbonna was clearly trying to stop Vardy getting away. At that initial point it's a penalty. Everything that happened afterwards was incidental really although a consequence of what happened in the first place.      

True. They are all fouls: Ogbonna initially pulls back Vardy. Morgan on Reid, the one on Huth, and Carrol on Schlupp. If they happen in the centre circle rather than the penalty area, then the ref gives all four as free kicks. All day every day.

The problem really is the unwritten rule that a foul in the box has to be worth a penalty. The worst of the lot was actually the one on Huth, as that clearly stopped him from getting a clear goal-scoring chance.

The ref though, chosing arbitrarily to start applying the rules rigourously with four games of the season left. That’s a joke. Huth had his shirt literally taken off his back at Palace a few weeks back. No penalty!

I just hope Stoke get 3 penalties tonight.

Even if there was video evidence vardy would still have been sent off. Every single pundit/ref and fans who understand football says it was a dive

It was a dive, but he was fouled beforehand. So both sides of the argument are right.

The problem really is the ref being unable to apply common sense. He should have just played on...

True. They are all fouls: Ogbonna initially pulls back Vardy. Morgan on Reid, the one on Huth, and Carrol on Schlupp. If they happen in the centre circle rather than the penalty area, then the ref gives all four as free kicks. All day every day.

The problem really is the unwritten rule that a foul in the box has to be worth a penalty. The worst of the lot was actually the one on Huth, as that clearly stopped him from getting a clear goal-scoring chance.

The ref though, chosing arbitrarily to start applying the rules rigourously with four games of the season left. That’s a joke. Huth had his shirt literally taken off his back at Palace a few weeks back. No penalty!

I just hope Stoke get 3 penalties tonight.

Is the worst not Huth body checking Reid just before we score?

It was a dive, but he was fouled beforehand. So both sides of the argument are right.

The problem really is the ref being unable to apply common sense. He should have just played on...

He wasn't fouled. If he was fouled he would have gone to ground.

After watching sky sports news just now and seeing them all slating our players it just gets me so angry because everybody is anti-Leicester when west ham got away with so much yesterday such as:

Ogbonna not getting booked for effectively strangling two players and pole axing Okazaki in the corner

Reid went down in the opposite direction to what the law of physics says he should plus he should've walked for the body check when Ulloa tried to break free on the touch line

And I can't see why everybody thinks our penalty is so soft, probably through blue tinted specs but Carroll just went through him without the ball? Why is he even giving Moss a decision to make there!

He actually ruined that match, very bizarre inconsistency

Vardy went down softly after contact that he initiated. It's not a dive. It's not a penalty. He should have been told to get up and get on with it. Given a goal kick and carried on with the game. The ref had an awful game. He got everything wrong from the moment it kicked off, for both teams

Sky are just following on from their blatantly biased commentators yesterday. They were gagging all match for an upset, for the fairytale to be slain, for West Ham to drive a huge hole through our hopes. Even the BBC commentators on MOTD2 showed clear bias and the punching above their weight opening was illuminating to say the least.

As much as everyone claims the monopoly of the big clubs is boring and needs to end, it is only lip service. They don't mean it at all.

Just look at the articles and revelations that have come out in the last few weeks - they haven't derailed us as designed. The constant media pressure and mentions of this exact scenario in the 60's is all designed to eat into player confidence.

Anyone who thinks there isn't at least a snobbish conspiracy against us needs to wise up. Whether it is more than that I don't know, but Moss was so blatantly poor yesterday it was almost beyond belief. Certainly everyone knows Vardy is the fulcrum around which our team turns. So Vardy it is who gets sent off, how strange when others were equally deserving.

I doubt this will be the end of it. There will be more to come. I just hope that as with Jamie's record, our winning the title is written in the stars.

Referee basically fvcked us for the whole second half - Reid and Payet quite clearly should have been sent off before you even start to look at the decisions that were actually made and the headline on the BBC website is... a West Ham player complaining about the referee.

I know they've had a tough run of it lately with officials but literally everything debatable bar the last minute pen went their way, along with a number of not particularly debatable calls. All inconsistencies (bookings for City players for diving, not for West Ham players, grappling punished on us, not on them) went their way.

Spot on.

The grappling in the area is something I dislike. It seems to have crept into modern football, and I think they should do something about it. However as Shearer said, why suddenly start in Leicester's 34th game as the season reaches a climax? Instead a rule clarification should be announced at the beginning of a season with examples of what and is and is not acceptable, together with a campaign to punish offenders in a consistent way.

Is the worst not Huth body checking Reid just before we score?

Maybe it was.

The point is that a referee can’t just select an incident and decide that he’s going to rigourously enforce the written rule for that one incident alone, whilst applying the unwritten rule to every other incident.

Reid was fouled, then threw himself to try and get the penalty = penalty

Vardy was fouled, then threw himself to try and get the penalty = Red card

I have a small degree of sympathy for referees because the way players man-handle each other at corners is now ridiculous. BUT every other referee this season has  managed to do it without ruining the game.

If you want a (mostly) impartial view of your game yesterday, then whilst a draw was probably a fair result in the end, I would say that the referee lost it completely on several levels....

If you're going to give a penalty (even after talking to Huth and Morgan) you have to be consistent and Ogbonna was doing the same all game, specifically on Vardy and later Huth, so you should have got one as well. In my view the only credit Moss deserves is that he may have realised this and thus awarded the penalty at the end, which was very harsh on West Ham....so all in all a penalty each, was probably about right, but not the way they were arrived at.

Vardy was silly, in that situation it's 50/50, you either get a pen or a yellow card...especially for the way he actually went down, which in fact only 'exaggerated the possible dive' element, whether it was or wasn't, he didn't need to do it. Either way the first yellow he got wasn't, but his previous tackle probably was....End of the day, he shouldn't have given a poor referee the opportunity to make a decision.

You at least deserved the draw...but the match became a lottery with that ref and if it had been one of our games I would have been left thinking...what on earth had just happened? I wouldn't know whether to be angry or relieved, probably just frustrated....

In fact the way this weekends results have gone...I wouldn't be surprised if the same emotions happen tonight. Stoke away is a tough place to go.

Including former pgmol chief keith hackett and one of the old select group mark halsey?

The more you watch the replay the more dubious it gets if you're going foul or dive

Can't stand this attitude.

Yeah, gdl9050, you are a football genius and those of who used our eyes to see Ogbonna pull Vardy and make the initial contact, which is a foul and should have been penalised first, are not worthy to tie your boot laces.

(Sincerely hoping gdl9050 isn't some blind kid)

Happy with a point in what I think was always going to be our hardest remaining game.  West Ham are an excellent side with real quality and have a lot to fight for.

I think we played ok, we seemed shell-shocked in the first 20 minutes or so at how physical the game was, and maybe some shock from their hit one post, hit the other post and out. We steadily grew in to it, and had a few decent opportunities, Huth probably should have scored his header. They didn't look like creating much in the first half. Second half, again we were slow out of the traps and had to soak up some real pressure. 2 quick fire goals from them and some great character to bring it back level.

The referee performance was pretty poor. Vardy probably deserved a yellow for his overemphasis, however Payet should equally have been sent off 10 minutes later when we were awarded a free kick for his simulation. Winston Reid, who was on a yellow, made several cynical challenges and can't have been far off seeing red. The penalty was soft, but we have got away with a lot in the box recently so maybe it was karma balancing. Huth's was a penalty if Reids was and although the MOTD pundit Ian Wright believed it was Ogbonnas first offense, he had actually been manhandling Huth a lot in the first half.

Overall a good point. I am confident without Vardy we can still score goals.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Archived