Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingcarr21

Jury Duty

not too bad really- go in normal clothes. take something to entertain yourself simple as that. and tbh just hope you get onto a case, because otherwise you will want to kill yourself out of boredom 

It's OK, you get a few paid days off work, you spend a lot of time sitting around in a waiting room that may have a TV and a café and that its, waiting to be called to a case, bring something to entertain you and try to make some friends there is my advice!

Once you're on a case it's quite interesting, unless the case is super mundane

I did this a long time ago. It was 12 Angry Men all over again. The defendant ( a toe rag ) was on trial for handling stolen motorcycle engines. We went into the jury room and had a vote. The vote was 11-1 guilty; with me being the 1.  :whistle:  However as I pointed out to my fellow jurors there was no evidence to prove the fact that these engines were stolen. After some time we went back into Court and asked the judge whether the the engines were stolen or not and he replied "that is for you to decide". We went back into the jury room and had another vote and that was 12-0 not guilty and the bloke got off.  :whistle:

Shoddy work by the Police and the Prosecution.

I did this a long time ago. It was 12 Angry Men all over again. The defendant ( a toe rag ) was on trial for handling stolen motorcycle engines. We went into the jury room and had a vote. The vote was 11-1 guilty; with me being the 1. :whistle: However as I pointed out to my fellow jurors there was no evidence to prove the fact that these engines were stolen. After some time we went back into Court and asked the judge whether the the engines were stolen or not and he replied "that is for you to decide". We went back into the jury room and had another vote and that was 12-0 not guilty and the bloke got off. :whistle:

Cheers, Steven, I owe you.

Anyone want a motorbike engine?

I did this a long time ago. It was 12 Angry Men all over again. The defendant ( a toe rag ) was on trial for handling stolen motorcycle engines. We went into the jury room and had a vote. The vote was 11-1 guilty; with me being the 1.  :whistle:  However as I pointed out to my fellow jurors there was no evidence to prove the fact that these engines were stolen. After some time we went back into Court and asked the judge whether the the engines were stolen or not and he replied "that is for you to decide". We went back into the jury room and had another vote and that was 12-0 not guilty and the bloke got off.  :whistle:

Cheers, Steven, I owe you.

Anyone want a motorbike engine?

Yes please, mine was stolen a while back

I did it at the end of my first year at Sheffield University.  Spent the first week waiting for a trial to come up.  Absolutely awful.  Sitting in a room with no windows with a load of strangers in the days before mobile phones & games apps.

Got called up on the Monday of the second week.  No.1 court at Sheffield Crown Court.  When the charge was read out, I think I actually shit myself.  MURDER!!

One of the best & most interesting things I have ever done.  Because of plea bargaining & other legal stuff we didn't get to see or hear, we didn't get to give a verdict & the 2 men on trial went down for manslaughter.  They got 3 years & had already done 12 months on remand, so would be out in 6 months........when the whole jury would have had them guilty for murder.

Interesting to see how the legal process works & seeing 'justice' being done.

I wasn't earning at the time being a student, but claimed for bus fare (walked in) & for lunch.  Got paid about £80 for the 2 weeks & that bought a lot of K Cider.

Done it twice in three years - they can pick someone else from now on!

Both cases very similar and not easy to sit through although the second time round I knew what to expect so it wasn't as bad.

You can make money out of the expenses claims if you are careful enough - just take sandwiches and be clever on the travel expenses claims part of it. 

As for a case to sit on, it depends on what's due on the Monday you turn up.  The waiting around is very dull.  There can be a load of other stuff going on that a jury isn't needed for so although a case can show up as forth in line, for example, it could take all day to get it going.  If it's a quiet week you might be told to go home for a couple of days, wait for a message, then go back in.  Or possibly turned away for the first week and told to go in for the second.

I was lucky second time round, although initially picked for a case, my name wasn't called out in court and I missed out on a case that went on for over 2 weeks.  The one I got lasted 3 days.

Luck of the draw.  :thumbup:

I got on 3 cases in 2 weeks,only one case went the whole way,so I wasn't waiting around that much,

You'll find yourself in the waiting room taking it in turns to build a jigsaw puzzle :-) which has pieces missing,take pack lunch and claim back you dinner allowance each day,I really enjoyed my experience,though the first case I was on was very disturbing,involved a child,il say no more

Archived