Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sm1

Leicester Tigers

I am a Tigers fan through n through.

Their success often gets overlooked.

plus we are a self-made club, and not long ago one of

the richest (no debt ) clubs in Europe..

With changes within the proffesional years we have more than held our own.

At one time,  even our replacements, at the time of international calls, were good enough

to guarrantee top 2, now its getting harder, so far top 4 has had us consistently playing

at high skill levels, still taking the odd competition.

Of late we have been the Arsenal equivilant, thereabouts but not on the button.

Rugby has changed for the better, its no longer boring with Leicester being 

'The dominate force' which I welcomed  and I am still proud.

We have not yet thankfully crumbled into 'has beens' with only the memories of history.

We are still remaining to be a top club, where the others still know its something special

to even try and take our scalp.Many clubs have come and gone from automatic top 6,

we are still that club to emulate 100 plus years...

19 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I am a Tigers fan through n through.

Their success often gets overlooked.

plus we are a self-made club, and not long ago one of

the richest (no debt ) clubs in Europe..

With changes within the proffesional years we have more than held our own.

At one time,  even our replacements, at the time of international calls, were good enough

to guarrantee top 2, now its getting harder, so far top 4 has had us consistently playing

at high skill levels, still taking the odd competition.

Of late we have been the Arsenal equivilant, thereabouts but not on the button.

Rugby has changed for the better, its no longer boring with Leicester being 

'The dominate force' which I welcomed  and I am still proud.

We have not yet thankfully crumbled into 'has beens' with only the memories of history.

We are still remaining to be a top club, where the others still know its something special

to even try and take our scalp.Many clubs have come and gone from automatic top 6,

we are still that club to emulate 100 plus years...

I've been a Tigers fan as long as i've been a City one, since the mid 80s. Love the club, but only get to go to a few games now. I'm hoping for good things this year, finally being able to compete with Saracens who've given us some serious beatings in the last few seasons.

The result was great but was a little disappointed. Our defence still looks shocking and Manu seems to be a shadow of the player he was, especially going forward. I'm hoping 2 years of injuries haven't robbed him of his best years. I think we'll be top 2 this season if we can sort the defence out.

• 1 month later...

Very sad news on the death of Anthony Axel Foley overnight 

im sure many tigers fans will remember the great battles with Axel and munster down the years 

axel actually came from the same place as myself in ireland so it's a tragic day all around 

3 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

Very sad news on the death of Anthony Axel Foley overnight 

im sure many tigers fans will remember the great battles with Axel and munster down the years 

axel actually came from the same place as myself in ireland so it's a tragic day all around 

Sorry to hear that. A huge shock over here. Very sad.Were you friendly?

I was at the Cork Senior Football final today and went past Musgrave Park after. There was a Munster flag that had written on it 'Gone but never forgotten RIP Axel' and flowers outside the front of the ground.

Rugby has never really had much interest to me but he was at the forefront of Munster's golden era. I was in University of Limerick where Munster train with a friend back in 2004 and we went to lunch only for my friend to recognise someone at the serving area and start chatting to some who I gathered was a Munster player. The friend went all fanboy like and started chatting to him. I asked after he left who that man was and only to be informed it was Anthony Foley!

Remember it also cause it was the afternoon and in the same pub we watched the 3-2 game against Leeds United where I was surrounded by Leeds fans only for Leicester's comeback from 2-0 down to fall short.

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Sorry to hear that. A huge shock over here. Very sad.Were you friendly?

I was at the Cork Senior Football final today and went past Musgrave Park after. There was a Munster flag that had written on it 'Gone but never forgotten RIP Axel' and flowers outside the front of the ground.

Rugby has never really had much interest to me but he was at the forefront of Munster's golden era. I was in University of Limerick where Munster train with a friend back in 2004 and we went to lunch only for my friend to recognise someone at the serving area and start chatting to some who I gathered was a Munster player. The friend went all fanboy like and started chatting to him. I asked after he left who that man was and only to be informed it was Anthony Foley!

Remember it also cause it was the afternoon and in the same pub we watched the 3-2 game against Leeds United where I was surrounded by Leeds fans only for Leicester's comeback from 2-0 down to fall short.

I knew his sister well she is a therapist , he would know who I was but not really friendly which was strange because we are virtually same age , Kieth woods I knew very well , my grandmother lived next to the Foley family 

Axel and woodie both hurled underage for Clare , played for smith o briens 

i was at that Leeds game .

im praying it wasn't suicide , he did a lot of work for suicide awareness charities , I hope he went in his sleep and peaceful 

2 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

I knew his sister well she is a therapist , he would know who I was but not really friendly which was strange because we are virtually same age , Kieth woods I knew very well , my grandmother lived next to the Foley family 

Axel and woodie both hurled underage for Clare , played for smith o briens 

i was at that Leeds game .

im praying it wasn't suicide , he did a lot of work for suicide awareness charities , I hope he went in his sleep and peaceful 

Seems like it was a heart attack.

Heard there was a minute's silence at the Clare county final between Clonlara and Kimaley for him before todays game.

5 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Seems like it was a heart attack.

Heard there was a minute's silence at the Clare county final between Clonlara and Kimaley for him before todays game.

Clonlara and Ballyea , Clonlara would be a local rival club of Axel's , Marcus Horan was from Clonlara they used to rib each other a lot 

im glad to hear that it was natural , his father is a lovely old man he wouldn't have been able to cope with anything un-natural , his dad was in the hotel , all very sad 

• 1 month later...

It was a poor game but Quins made us look good. They couldn't even score a try against us. I've not seen that in a while. Overall satisfied with the win.

3 hours ago, Worthington said:

We didn't go to the game, but had to walk past the stadium as we had to park at Morrisons in order to go hospital visiting....(That's another story,'Tigers' fans related......won't go there) !!

Anyhow, we passed the ground at around 3:40pm and you literally couldn't hear more than a murmur from the crowd....so bloody quiet !

Time was it used to be raucous at welford Road....what's happened ??

I go there frequently. If Tigers don't give the crowd something to shout about, they're normally pretty quiet (unless Northampton are in town). Either that or there was silence for the penalty kicker.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Do you watch them often? Any idea what its down to, bad management? bad recruitment of players?

A mix of everything. Considering they're the best supported club in England, all the board are interested in is the corporate side of things. Added to this that their highest paid players are injured, then things are not good. The rest of the squad is not good enough and they've just sacked the director of rugby after a players revolt.  

4 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Do you watch them often? Any idea what its down to, bad management? bad recruitment of players?

Bit of both really. To be honest. Tigers have been waning for the past 2 or 3 years now.

Let far too many prospects go, who've gone on to be key players at other clubs. Look at George Ford for example!

Yes, we've been unlucky with lengthy injuries at times. But I think a shake-up has been needed for a while now.

It's the timing which is hard to comprehend. This far into the season, Cockerill should have at least been allowed to stay till the end. We look an absolute mess and until a permanent replacement comes in, the situation is going to get even worse

Other clubs are going into huge amounts of debt to be competitive, at a time tigers haven't so that they can expand the ground. Tigers lost 400k last year but made 400k the year before and seem to budget to break even. 

Teams like Wasps, Bath, Saracens are regularly overspending by £3m a year.

Doesn't explain entirely the issues as the caps there so things aren't as disproportionate as they are in football.

Archived