Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

I did 3 seasons with Barcelona and won the lot. It was a bit dull towards the end. I could have stayed on to replace the trident and build a new team but wanted a new challenge.

Im doing a Borussia Dortmund save. I dont know if anyones managed them.......but jeeeeeeeeeeeeez theyre hard to manage. To get any kind of consistency with them is insanely hard....theyre a good side, they should win most of their games. To be fair i am second in the league but im miles behind Bayern. MILES. With the team ive got, surely it shouldnt be miles? I lost in champions league last 16 vs Spurs 4-1 on aggregate but the board said the round of 16 was their expectation, but lost in German Cup round 3 vs Werder Bremen who are terrible on penalties. AWFUL.

I did manage to beat Bayern to the supercup though 4-2.

Hopefully if i post my tactic i can get some feedback on why i cant get closer to any kind of consistency.

There are still 3 massive bugs with the game though IMO:

1) Hitting the woodwork too often. Its a bit silly really. Most games see the team you manage hit the woodwork. Some 4 times in a game. It really is quite daft.

2) Goals being conceded straight after scoring. Again, happens far too often when compared to real life.

3) Injuries. Too many and too severe. Its rare to have so many injuries lasting for 6 or 7 weeks all together. The dortmund squad when you take over is absolutely ruined by huge long term injuries.

8 hours ago, Donut said:

I did 3 seasons with Barcelona and won the lot. It was a bit dull towards the end. I could have stayed on to replace the trident and build a new team but wanted a new challenge.

Im doing a Borussia Dortmund save. I dont know if anyones managed them.......but jeeeeeeeeeeeeez theyre hard to manage. To get any kind of consistency with them is insanely hard....theyre a good side, they should win most of their games. To be fair i am second in the league but im miles behind Bayern. MILES. With the team ive got, surely it shouldnt be miles? I lost in champions league last 16 vs Spurs 4-1 on aggregate but the board said the round of 16 was their expectation, but lost in German Cup round 3 vs Werder Bremen who are terrible on penalties. AWFUL.

I did manage to beat Bayern to the supercup though 4-2.

Hopefully if i post my tactic i can get some feedback on why i cant get closer to any kind of consistency.

There are still 3 massive bugs with the game though IMO:

1) Hitting the woodwork too often. Its a bit silly really. Most games see the team you manage hit the woodwork. Some 4 times in a game. It really is quite daft.

2) Goals being conceded straight after scoring. Again, happens far too often when compared to real life.

3) Injuries. Too many and too severe. Its rare to have so many injuries lasting for 6 or 7 weeks all together. The dortmund squad when you take over is absolutely ruined by huge long term injuries.

I cant comment on the game as I still haven't played this yet, unfortunately the missus says I have to wait for Christmas... But in real life Dortmund have had a hard time with injuries ala Arsenal haven't they? 

Does anyone have any good experiences with lesser known leagues? I'm in Sweden, but the format is terrible and I'm getting bored at the end of my 3rd season, looking to travel somewhere interesting at the end of my contract

I'm in my fourth season with Chester FC, currently in League 2 and doing well punching above my weight. I'm going to stay here for a long while as I have a great youth set up and young first team players.

In November 2019 I got a message saying that UK will leave the EU at the end of my current season. It says the Bosman Rule is scrapped, but EU players have been given special status so will not require any work permits = I believe I have got a hard brexit in general, but soft for footballers which is one of the scenarios! :)

15 hours ago, Beliall said:

same format all across scandanavia. 2-3 weeks between games and a short season, with long off season

??

From memory the League Cup in Iceland is a group format which is played before the main 22 game season starts. League cup usually has about 9 games max, its pretty much your pre-season. Can't remember if there's an Icelandic Cup but if there is thats played through the league season like here. The only break I think is between October-February (which looking back matches your description) but i'm sure there are games fairly frequently. I prefer less games. I managed to get the Chape job in the Brazil 2nd division but the schedule looks sickening. I think we only get a month off all year, 2 long winded cup formats at the start and then a 38 game league season. I think I counted 13 games in my first 39 days here which is madness. On the plus side everything seems really cheap here, I signed last seasons top scorer for 40k lol

On 30/11/2016 at 02:58, Walkers said:

Bare in mind im in 2029 things will have changed haha. I'm looking to be Chapecoense, original I know but i've never managed in Brazil before and I wanna give it a go. There is a CHA who i'm 99% sure its them but they're in Div 2 which is a shame.

On an unrelated note, another thing about this game is when you add a new league in an ongoing save, all but one or two jobs from the country you have added are available. Atleast this was the case in Switzerland, Greece and now Brazil. Perhaps better known leagues wont be like this. Greek 2nd divison sides never appointed a manager actually, and it takes a good year or two for teams to get a decent sized squad together or real players.

Not wishing to be morbid, but would be quite "interesting" to have someone modify the database to reflect the new real world situation with Chapecoense, i.e loss of most of playing squad and staff, immunity from relegation (don't know if this is official or not yet), and being awarded the Copa Sudamerica. 

Would be an interesting challenge.

11 hours ago, Walkers said:

??

From memory the League Cup in Iceland is a group format which is played before the main 22 game season starts. League cup usually has about 9 games max, its pretty much your pre-season. Can't remember if there's an Icelandic Cup but if there is thats played through the league season like here. The only break I think is between October-February (which looking back matches your description) but i'm sure there are games fairly frequently. I prefer less games. I managed to get the Chape job in the Brazil 2nd division but the schedule looks sickening. I think we only get a month off all year, 2 long winded cup formats at the start and then a 38 game league season. I think I counted 13 games in my first 39 days here which is madness. On the plus side everything seems really cheap here, I signed last seasons top scorer for 40k lol

yeah, but you have to qualify for the cup in the previous season

On 17/11/2016 at 16:05, The Blur said:

Have anyone download FM app on their mobile phones?  Is it any good? 

It is good I think. Had a few quite serious bugs on release (such as scores of other matches changing after the full time whistle - eg in the "Latest Scores" tab you would see say Arsenal 3-0 Everton but then in the results screen after the game it might say Arsenal 2-2 Everton instead). You also couldn't view the scorers in any other games. But both issues have been patched now.

On 04/12/2016 at 20:18, Beliall said:

I signed for New York red bulls. They offered 6k a week! Squad is shite and the rules are baffling. this could be interesting

nyrb.png

Im gonna give this a go.

Never done MLS before

4 minutes ago, Donut said:

Im gonna give this a go.

Never done MLS before

Nor me. still haven't a clue how the transfers, salary cap and draft all gel together, but im winning football matches so im happy. for now. any questions, ask, i may have figured some stuff out by then

edit, trying to bring jamie vardy in but have to offload a really good center back on 50% of my wage bill to free up the salary cap. see what i mean?

2 minutes ago, pds said:

I'm into 2023 on my current save with Sheff Weds and LA Galaxy's team includes a very old Huth, King and Drinkwater.

okazaki is playing (and scoring) for new york city. I tried to get fuchs but he was not at all interested. odd considering his mrs lives in the city

New york red bulls are going to sack me.

i took over when they were in freefall, since then, in the 15 games i have been in charge, we have won 7 , drawn 5 and lost the other 4, including winning a tin pot cup and climbing the table back into a wildcard slot. 

but they are disappointed, because they wanted to finish near the top. i would have had to win EVERY game, and hope everyone else forgets how to play football. 5 games left of the season. if they keep me on, i can strengthen and bring them the title in 2 years easy

edit. might have bought myself some time, by finally selling the CB on 82k a WEEK. the club loved that

I still have absolutely no idea what the rules are in the MLS. There are loads.

I understand the basic principle. You have a wage budget that you have to stick to, however you can also have 3 "star" players that dont contribute towards your wage budget. You can also sort of buy extra leeway in your wage budget?

Lord knows what some of the swap options are and drafts etc..... such an american thing.

Made a promising start. Won 3 of the opening 4, the game I lost, McCarty decided he would do a two footed lunge mid way through the 2nd half v Houston Dynamo, and he was sent off. Naturally in true FM fashion, they pinched it right at the death. I havent posted the individual instructions as it would take loads of screenshots, but got the overall basic tactic im using, and the team instructions.

I didnt know whether posting here would be a good idea....might be where im told how bad a tactic it is! i do feel like with limited players, going direct and getting "At 'em" usually works well.

3 Signings have come into the club.

Cristian Maggio has joined from Napoli. Very solid performer. One of my.....whatever its called picks. Hes on a good wage, even though hes just turned 34 his physicals are good, and his quality is good. Should be able to get 2 years out of him and a 7.5 average id have thought.

Gedion Zelalem looks really good. Arsenal youth. Great passing and vision for a youngster. Sits in the middle of the park and plays short passes and keeps us ticking over. Current ability roughly the same as Davis, but potential ability much higher.

Lynden Gooch is another loanee. Hes pacey and tricky, but hes not consistent. To be expected. Useful signing.........expected more from him. But its early days.

Tactics 2.jpg

Tactics 1.jpg

League Table.jpg

thats insane. the exact formation i am using lol . and i have Daniel Royer, he's quality. And keylo. wait. i just noticed you're the same team. :ph34r: the formation thing is still uncanny though, they were set up 4-2-4 when i took over

i sold a designated player on $82k a week, he freed up just $10k on my wage cap. I have no clue how things work, i mean, i read the rules, but finding out who takes up the most wage cap is hard, let me know if you find the screen

Got to be honest, im not really enjoying the MLS much.

The rules are rubbish, squad building isnt as much fun. Im well placed in the league and i have it saved, but im having more fun working on my Dortmund save really

9 hours ago, Donut said:

Got to be honest, im not really enjoying the MLS much.

The rules are rubbish, squad building isnt as much fun. Im well placed in the league and i have it saved, but im having more fun working on my Dortmund save really

I know what you mean, but the way i play FM, like an entire career, its the perfect stepping stone, im getting my badges and raising my profile nicely

Archived