Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

Part way through of my 3rd season with FC Wil, it's a really fun save so far.

Got them promoted from the Swiss 2nd division in the first season, after which the chairman injected £35m into the club making us probably the richest club in Switzerland. I've now got around £16m to spend, which is all well and good but top players don't want to come because of the club reputation, which is a bit annoying.

However, finished the season 2nd behind FC Basel in the league in second season, and just thumped Fenerbahce 9-1 on aggregate in the Champs League best placed qualifying. Now sitting 5 points clear at the top of the league and about to go into the draw for the CL playoffs with some big clubs...

...Which I'll probably lose to.

Ive pushed Bayern all the way in season 2 as Dortmund, but im 5 behind with 5 to play, and realistically Bayern arent going to drop 6 points in 5 games to let me take top spot. And its not likely ill win all 5 considering we are shaky away and still have to travel to Leverkusen.

We have a massive lead over 3rd, and a german cup semi to play vs Leverkusen away (Hernandez is a constant thorn in my side) so im expecting to lose that.

Ive also just started an Arsenal save, think ive found a great tactic to use with Arsenal but dont want to tempt fate on that one.

I also think the stars the game uses, and the graphic that displays how comfortable a player is in a certain position is basically useless. Just use the attributes you want from the player, rather than their "suggested" good attributes, and train them some new preferred moves.

7 hours ago, Donut said:

Ive pushed Bayern all the way in season 2 as Dortmund, but im 5 behind with 5 to play, and realistically Bayern arent going to drop 6 points in 5 games to let me take top spot. And its not likely ill win all 5 considering we are shaky away and still have to travel to Leverkusen.

We have a massive lead over 3rd, and a german cup semi to play vs Leverkusen away (Hernandez is a constant thorn in my side) so im expecting to lose that.

Ive also just started an Arsenal save, think ive found a great tactic to use with Arsenal but dont want to tempt fate on that one.

I also think the stars the game uses, and the graphic that displays how comfortable a player is in a certain position is basically useless. Just use the attributes you want from the player, rather than their "suggested" good attributes, and train them some new preferred moves.

I agree i completely ignore the suggested roles for the players now and just use their attributes as a guide. The old way ! 

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

The "values" are extremely disproportionate to what clubs ask for, but it's certainly realistic. 

I'm managing West Ham and thought I found a steal in Jerry St Juste (£950k), but Heerenveen wanted £23m lol 

Lisandro Lopez is a quality CB for cheap in the first season. Think I only paid about 3 million.

On 15/12/2016 at 13:13, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Is this worth getting lads? The last one I had was 2014 and bar a decent save with Boreham Wood couldn't really get into it.

I think it is worth getting. Ive got two good saves at the moment, a Dortmund save where im about to start season 3 and im running Bayern really close in all comps.

Ive also got an Arsenal save where ive got a really nice tactic that looks like itll deliver me the double possibly.

But the game i believe has some obvious flaws.

FIrst flaw for me, is that to be "good" at the game, i think you have to play weird, and basically un-football like tactics to get great success. I think the people online who go on huge winning runs, its not through football genius, more like theyve just found a way to confuse the AI of the game. Because they play players in roles that shouldnt work. Formations that youd never see in real

Some of the results are definitely scripted. They have absolutely no logic to them, and the reason you can tell theyre scripted is because theyre so obviously going to happen. Im not saying that surprise results dont happen in football, they do, but the results in football manager sometimes arent a surprise, because you know theyre coming.

Couple of examples. At Arsenal, had a fully fit squad, and had won 5 in a row. I was playing Hull at home. Hull had lost something like 8 out of last 10, they also had Clucas, Davies, Mbokani and another injured cant remember who. 2 positions were filled with kids id never heard of. Before the game i said thats a nailed on Hull win. Sure enough it was.

And the match engine in such games is laughable. Striker gets played in, through on goal, must score, and because its THAT game, he will skew it so pathetically wide you just laugh.

And yet, i had a game at Dortmund away to Hoffenheim where everything pointed to me losing. And the game did everything it could to make me win! it was farcical. I think Hoffenheim hit the woodwork 4 times, which leads to my next point........

Players hit the post and the bar way too often. Im talking 3 times in a game sometimes. Now obviously this can happen, Hull hit the post 3 times vs West Ham today. But this should happen maybe twice a season? Feels like it happens once a month on football manager.

But, when alls said and done, its just a game.

I do like the features in the game like the prozone stats. For me, theyre very important.

In my 4th season at Clyde managed to get them into the Scottish Championship from League 2 in 3 seasons! Really struggling to attract any decent players at championship level!

A 30 year old Jay Spearing and 33 year old Steven Fletcher i thought, excellent i'll snap them both up but nope, not intrested in even entering contact negotiations ! 

Financial situation is pretty poor so going to stick with the squad that got us up instead of getting the club further into debt by signing a load of players just to fill numbers! 

On 15/12/2016 at 12:05, Darkon84 said:

Lisandro Lopez is a quality CB for cheap in the first season. Think I only paid about 3 million.

Alejandro Arribas for £4.3mil from Real Sociedad is who I've gone for and he's a solid PL level defender. £4.3mil is his release clause too.

I went for Rosales from Malaga as a right back as his release clause was also low (£5.25mil I think) but his wage demands were ridiculous.

On 18/12/2016 at 01:37, Donut said:

I think it is worth getting. Ive got two good saves at the moment, a Dortmund save where im about to start season 3 and im running Bayern really close in all comps.

Ive also got an Arsenal save where ive got a really nice tactic that looks like itll deliver me the double possibly.

But the game i believe has some obvious flaws.

FIrst flaw for me, is that to be "good" at the game, i think you have to play weird, and basically un-football like tactics to get great success. I think the people online who go on huge winning runs, its not through football genius, more like theyve just found a way to confuse the AI of the game. Because they play players in roles that shouldnt work. Formations that youd never see in real

Some of the results are definitely scripted. They have absolutely no logic to them, and the reason you can tell theyre scripted is because theyre so obviously going to happen. Im not saying that surprise results dont happen in football, they do, but the results in football manager sometimes arent a surprise, because you know theyre coming.

Couple of examples. At Arsenal, had a fully fit squad, and had won 5 in a row. I was playing Hull at home. Hull had lost something like 8 out of last 10, they also had Clucas, Davies, Mbokani and another injured cant remember who. 2 positions were filled with kids id never heard of. Before the game i said thats a nailed on Hull win. Sure enough it was.

And the match engine in such games is laughable. Striker gets played in, through on goal, must score, and because its THAT game, he will skew it so pathetically wide you just laugh.

And yet, i had a game at Dortmund away to Hoffenheim where everything pointed to me losing. And the game did everything it could to make me win! it was farcical. I think Hoffenheim hit the woodwork 4 times, which leads to my next point........

Players hit the post and the bar way too often. Im talking 3 times in a game sometimes. Now obviously this can happen, Hull hit the post 3 times vs West Ham today. But this should happen maybe twice a season? Feels like it happens once a month on football manager.

But, when alls said and done, its just a game.

I do like the features in the game like the prozone stats. For me, theyre very important.

I had one as well (also against Hull funnily enough) where I had 10 shots and 3 clear cut chances after about 8 minutes. I came out of that period goalless and knew there was no way I was going to win.

On 24/12/2016 at 20:44, TheMightySystem said:

Anyone got some tips for non league defending as I have some good players, one with a CA of 72 yet we let in 2 or more goals each game no matter the tactic I use.

Your system isn't mighty, your role and duty allocation is probably off. Have a read of the football manager forums, there's some guides in there that'll help 

Currently sat 2nd in League 1 with Chester FC in my first season in the division.

Was tipped to fight relegation, so I'm hoping to make play-offs. 

As with every year in my save, I've signed young hungry players (who probably shouldn't be at the club!).

Going  through an awful run. Fell from 4th to 16th. Can't stop conceding goals and striker's confidence is so low they can't score.

Just lost 2-5, again. 

Every opposition makes it look easy to score.

Have started a new game as - wait for it - Coventry City.

I know, I know, but I sort of see them as a challenge. No money, not many fans, but a decent infrastructure and stadium.

Mangaged to win League 1 in the first season with six games to spare but proving difficult to get in decent players for my tilt at the Championship. After usually always managing Leicester and looking for Premier League talent, I am finding it harder to judge a decent League 1 or Championship player.

Attendances pushing 18K at the end of the league one season.

On 29/12/2016 at 00:54, Dan LCFC said:

There are far, far too many goals on this game. I reckon at least 40% of my games has a team score 4 or more in it.

I'd agree about there being too many goals in general, far too many AI game finish 4-2 and the like but my games never have that many goals.

Started playing this recently.

First season was great - finished 6th, got to round of 16 and lost only by one goal against Bayern (2-1 on aggregate).

Thought I'd made some decent signings on a tight budget for the 2nd season. Absolutely terrible season so far. In January, facing pressure to get the sack and I can't find a formation that stops conceding goals from crosses. Far too easy a team just spreads it out wide gets a cross in and bang, goal to opposition. Even in the first season most goals conceded came from out wide. As Dan said, far too many goals scored in individual matches. 

Archived