Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

Got Chester FC promoted to the Championship in my first season in League 1 (was predicted to finish 24th!) - same again this year?

Possibly not. It's amazing how much the gap between my Chester and the average championship team in buying players and financially.

Played two games and have gained 1 point. I've not made great signings if I am honest - in the loan market, no good young Prem players are willing to go out on loan to me.

If I end up getting relegated and I'm leaving Chester after 6 years. I need a bigger club, but I keep getting better and better with Chester!   

12 hours ago, maynefox said:

Got Chester FC promoted to the Championship in my first season in League 1 (was predicted to finish 24th!) - same again this year?

Possibly not. It's amazing how much the gap between my Chester and the average championship team in buying players and financially.

Played two games and have gained 1 point. I've not made great signings if I am honest - in the loan market, no good young Prem players are willing to go out on loan to me.

If I end up getting relegated and I'm leaving Chester after 6 years. I need a bigger club, but I keep getting better and better with Chester!   

I've found the step up from Championship to Premier League with Coventry to be massive!

I didn't want to start spending loads on players so have tried to get players on the cheap but Ive got 2 points from 10 games! I'm not getting batterred by teams, but am losing by the odd goal frequently.

Started with Leverkusen. Just finished my third season and I've not been able to get top spot of Bayern. They're just far too strong. I've finished third, second and second. 

Bayern go on ridiculous runs where they win 15 games on the trot and I just can't live with it.

Chicarito threw a paddy when I rejected Man City's bid so I sold him. Replaced him with Lacazette whilst also adding Luan and Sule. Got a decent team but hoping for a Bayern collapse.

Anyone managing anyone other than Bayern in the Bundesliga and managed to topple them?

I'm having a really hard time with Hertha Berlin, Have to get 9 points in the next 5 games. I have won 2 games all season, the squad keep turning on me. 

Fortunately its the mid season break, using it to get a couple of new players, and blood some youth players in the friendlies, got an 18 year old who just scored a hat trick against club Brugge. he may make the first team. Must win the next 2 league games or I'm sacked

16 hours ago, maynefox said:

What mentality and instructions are you using? ... I'm in League Two.

When I was at Grimsby (same division obviously) I played fluid all the time with instructions such as go route one and early crosses. First season I finished play offs but second season I was about 18th before Bristol Rovers approached me.

Not sure if long ball etc is better at that level? 

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

What mentality and instructions are you using? ... I'm in League Two.

When I was at Grimsby (same division obviously) I played fluid all the time with instructions such as go route one and early crosses. First season I finished play offs but second season I was about 18th before Bristol Rovers approached me.

Not sure if long ball etc is better at that level? 

Hi there, (if someone can tell me how to upload pictures from FM to here as screenshots, that would be appreciated!)

Since bringing Chester into the football league I have used 5-3-2 WB formation.

I spent two seasons in league two: One survived relegation, the next I came fourth and won the play-offs to gain promotion.

I used a flexible tactical shape with a standard mentality, with a high defence line. (If you can picture it)....
I used the central 3-man defenders as a cover - the idea, with the high defence line, is so that my central-centre defender acts as a bit of a sweeper (use a pacey defender).
The wing backs would be on attack mode (against stringer teams support for one of them). The central midfielder is on defence. Target man with an advanced forward.

Build up in attack: bump ball to left and right sides of the pitch (if you're playing a team who are playing with narrow tactics, exploit the flanks too!).

Pass into space - very important as your wing backs are on attack.
Direct passing - important for passing to space and the players in league 2 aren't going to be Barcelona-esque?
Whipped crosses.
Pressing: sometimes

Throughout my years I have had one of the lowest possession stats in the league, I am playing a bit how Leicester were last season!

I hope this helps. Obviously screenshots of the tactics would be helpful to you, but that goes beyond my IT skills :( (help please!)

10 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I've found the step up from Championship to Premier League with Coventry to be massive!

I didn't want to start spending loads on players so have tried to get players on the cheap but Ive got 2 points from 10 games! I'm not getting batterred by teams, but am losing by the odd goal frequently.

Exactly me! Having only £1.5 million to spend in the transfer window means I try and get free transfers if possible. That is my transfer policy anyhow, they're great free deals to get when players get released! 

This season in the championship I've spent the money; a few frees but mainly spending £300k here and theres.

I've got a committed group of young players. It will be a struggle this year but I'm hopeful we can beat the drop!

Got David Gold as my chairman - the fans trust appointed him in. (willy puller).

4 minutes ago, maynefox said:

Hi there, (if someone can tell me how to upload pictures from FM to here as screenshots, that would be appreciated!)

Since bringing Chester into the football league I have used 5-3-2 WB formation.

I spent two seasons in league two: One survived relegation, the next I came fourth and won the play-offs to gain promotion.

I used a flexible tactical shape with a standard mentality, with a high defence line. (If you can picture it)....
I used the central 3-man defenders as a cover - the idea, with the high defence line, is so that my central-centre defender acts as a bit of a sweeper (use a pacey defender).
The wing backs would be on attack mode (against stringer teams support for one of them). The central midfielder is on defence. Target man with an advanced forward.

Build up in attack: bump ball to left and right sides of the pitch (if you're playing a team who are playing with narrow tactics, exploit the flanks too!).

Pass into space - very important as your wing backs are on attack.
Direct passing - important for passing to space and the players in league 2 aren't going to be Barcelona-esque?
Whipped crosses.
Pressing: sometimes

Throughout my years I have had one of the lowest possession stats in the league, I am playing a bit how Leicester were last season!

I hope this helps. Obviously screenshots of the tactics would be helpful to you, but that goes beyond my IT skills :( (help please!)

Pass into space increases risky passes, doesn't change where passes are placed just means moe attempts at through balls.

1 minute ago, Wookie said:

Pass into space increases risky passes, doesn't change where passes are placed just means moe attempts at through balls.

Which if you're using a tactic with attack wing backs, who have instructions to overlap (I failed to mention this in my last post), the through balls will be made to the left and right side of the pitch into space. As stated, important for the use of attacking minded wing backs.

1 minute ago, maynefox said:

Which if you're using a tactic with attack wing backs, who have instructions to overlap (I failed to mention this in my last post), the through balls will be made to the left and right side of the pitch into space. As stated, important for the use of attacking minded wing backs.

The look for overlap instruction doesn't really work with formations without wingers, it instructs wide players to hold up the ball and wait for the fullback so it doesn't have an affect on them.

3 minutes ago, Wookie said:

The look for overlap instruction doesn't really work with formations without wingers, it instructs wide players to hold up the ball and wait for the fullback so it doesn't have an affect on them.

I see.

So, you'd suggest that a wing back's "overlapping" movement, generally speaking, is in part due to the functionality of the full back?

5 minutes ago, maynefox said:

I see.

So, you'd suggest that a wing back's "overlapping" movement, generally speaking, is in part due to the functionality of the full back?

I keep reading this I can't make sense of it sorry lol

A fullback or wingback on an attack duty will overlap a winger/wide player on occasion anyway but the instruction makes wide players hold onto the ball akin to the player instruction "hold up the ball" which makes the overlap occur more often.

13 hours ago, maynefox said:

When on the page you want to screenshot in the game, press Alt + F9 together. This takes a screenshot and saves it in the file where the game is stored on your computer. 

Then when on here, just underneath where you type your posts, you'll see a 'Choose Files...' hyperlink. Click on that and go to where the file/screenshot has been saved and you can upload it straight away :) .

Guest Mee-9

Just won the League Cup with Leicester. Beat West Ham 4-2. 

I had a bid from China for Fuchs, the initial bid was 4m, I counter offered with 20m and they accepted. lol Replaced him with Schmelzer for 8m. 

The transfer budget to start with is a bit of a ballache. Bought Kadarabek, or however its spelt and he's been a revalation at Right Back. Ulloa is quality too, Slimani ruined his hamstring and was out for 3 months. Ulloa scored 16 in 16 matches. 

Demarai Gray has been quality too. Strangest signing I've ever made on an FM came courtesy of a free transfer for Raul Meireles. He's only backup but has been solid when called upon! 

I had a player on 4 bookings, so therefore one yellow away from 1 game suspension.

He picked up a booking in the next match, and also got a 2nd booking so therefore sent off.

He served his 1 game ban.

On his return, he was still had the 'yel' icon next to his name and still one game away from suspension. Is this correct?

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I had a player on 4 bookings, so therefore one yellow away from 1 game suspension.

He picked up a booking in the next match, and also got a 2nd booking so therefore sent off.

He served his 1 game ban.

On his return, he was still had the 'yel' icon next to his name and still one game away from suspension. Is this correct?

Yeah I think so mate. the 2 yellows count as a red so the yellow card count would remain at 4

Guest Mee-9

Ended up finishing 3rd in my first season!

As soon as the season finished, bids for Schlupp, Knoche and Albrighton came in. Schlupp left for 13m, rising to 18m! Madness. Albrighton has left for 15m too. 

Got given a 60m transfer budget for next season anyway, so now we're looking at a 90m budget.

Haven't a clue who to bring in. Pretty happy with Slimani, Vardy and Ulloa up top when i'm only playing one ST anyway. Gray is unbelievably good on this. Maybe strengthening defence is the big plan this season. 

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

I want to start a Burton save but I'll probably get bored affair 10 games, 46 game seasons are such a slog 

Give it ago mate. It's a difficult start but I found with some funds in Jan and a few loans it's a fun save. Chris O'grady is mad lol

The board have been very generous upon promotion. They have decided to build a new stadium to meet league requirements therefore we are ground sharing with west brom. I have been given a wage budget of 900k and a transfer budget of 39mil. 

I have managed to get Januzi 6mil, Sakor free, Augustinsson 5mil, O'connel 1.5mil, Ings loan, Fosu Mensah loan, Moussa Dembele 6mil rising to 18mil, Phil Jones 6mil and Lucas Romero 4mil. 

Archived