Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

14 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

yeah I get the argument about the price for games like this but I've had more value out of Binding of Isaac (nearly 300 hours), EtG (lots of hours), Dead Cells (25+ hours already) and similar than I have out of AAA titles in the last few years, easily. 

I like the 2D pixel style - games like Celeste, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc. are fun, quick to pick up and put down, hard to master but keep you coming back with a game-play loop that demands 'one more turn' to see which new strategy or unlock you're going to get next. 

I love this kind of shit - £20 for this is still a bargain, imo - it'll see a lot of love from me and I think these indie devs deserve our hard earned money more than some of the big AAA studio who keep churning out the same stagnant stuff. 

Dead Cells is a brilliantly tight experience. Give it a play! :)

All fair points. Don't get me wrong, when I say >£20 is a lot I'm not saying these releases need to be more like AAA titles to justify the cost.  Video games in general are way overpriced and I won't spend more than £30 on any game - it can always wait for a sale or be bought 2nd hand off ebay - exceptions are very rare and invariably Nintendo titles.  It means I'm always a bit behind but it makes gaming affordable and in the age of post-launch patching I'm also getting a properly tested and reviewed product.  I'd rather do things this way than be the early adopter type paying £45 for something like No Man's Sky and having to wait 2 years for the devs to put proper content in. :D 

• Like 1

Anyone played Earthlock? Looks like it could be a good JRPG style game but it's always hard to tell how good a game in that genre is before you get your hands on it.

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Some great indie titles announced at the mini-direct yesterday.

Can't wait for Everspace.

Nice to see Bad North out in the eShop already, will give that a go. 

Also, Dead Cells is absolutely killer. 35 hours already and it keeps me going back for me.  

Announced at the what now?

8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Announced at the what now?

Nintendo did a "Direct" video on their Youtube channel to announce new Indie games coming. Here it is:

They announce nearly everything these days on Youtube, they don't tend to bother doing big press conferences like Sony or Microsoft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Whats the difference between a 2ds and 3ds? And what games are good for a 7 year old?

The 2DS doesn't have the 3D capabilities of a 3DS. I had a 3DS when they first released and the 3D looked good, but as with most things the novelty soon wears off. You can turn the 3D effect on/off with the slide of a button. I then moved onto the 2DS. The 2DS doesn't fold like a normal DS. It stays as a solid console.

So if you are deciding on which to buy then

3DS - 3D capabilities, folds open/close, I believe these are the only differences. All 3DS games can be played on a 2DS

Now I have had both I prefer the 2DS. Price difference though you may want to just go for the 3DS.

Games for a 7 year old. You are looking at the usual stuff with Nintendo. Pokémon, Mario etc. A game I would recommend for yourself though is Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. Brilliant game series.

12 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Whats the difference between a 2ds and 3ds? And what games are good for a 7 year old?

2DS plays the same games but without 3D effects. As @kingcarr21 says, the 3D novelty wears off pretty quick and I found myself switching it off. I don't think they recommend young kids use the 3D for prolonged periods in any case. 

Sorry to interrupt. But if anyone could help. I'd love some advise.

I'm a Sega man by heart. Had a master system and mega drive. Yes I'm that old.

Then been strictly a ps man and owned all 4.

We own an original wii as a bit of a gimic.

However my 7 year old wants a switch for his present.

So. Are they any good worth the money etc.

I basically use my ps4 for fifa. The kids use Minecraft and it's essentially a bluray player. 

So any advise on how easy it is to use etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

10 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Sorry to interrupt. But if anyone could help. I'd love some advise.

I'm a Sega man by heart. Had a master system and mega drive. Yes I'm that old.

Then been strictly a ps man and owned all 4.

We own an original wii as a bit of a gimic.

However my 7 year old wants a switch for his present.

So. Are they any good worth the money etc.

I basically use my ps4 for fifa. The kids use Minecraft and it's essentially a bluray player. 

So any advise on how easy it is to use etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

The Switch is very easy to use.

Atm for me I would say I have wasted my money on it. Simply because i'm not playing it. I haven't liked the look of any of the indie titles. Mario Odyssey was absolutely brilliant but I have finished 100%. The games I brought the switch for haven't been released yet (Metroid and Super Smash Bros) so when I say I have wasted my money I haven't really, just wish I waited.

Now though is the time to buy one. As once Smash Bros comes out (December 7th) I think it will be amazing and a big xmas present this year. A 7 year old with smash bros will be set for a very long time.

The console itself is very easy to change from tv to handheld. You just take it out the dock, no tricky cables or anything. Its a great piece of kit. Once some more big games arrive I wont be able to put it down.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Atm for me I would say I have wasted my money on it. Simply because i'm not playing it. I haven't liked the look of any of the indie titles. Mario Odyssey was absolutely brilliant but I have finished 100%. The games I brought the switch for haven't been released yet (Metroid and Super Smash Bros) so when I say I have wasted my money I haven't really, just wish I waited.

Now though is the time to buy one. As once Smash Bros comes out (December 7th) I think it will be amazing and a big xmas present this year. A 7 year old with smash bros will be set for a very long time.

The console itself is very easy to change from tv to handheld. You just take it out the dock, no tricky cables or anything. Its a great piece of kit. Once some more big games arrive I wont be able to put it down.

Is there a version of Mario kart as he's been playing that on my wife's original DS recently.

6 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Is there a version of Mario kart as he's been playing that on my wife's original DS recently.

Yes the latest Mario Kart is already out for it. I had it on the Wii U so didn't buy for the switch but on the Wii U it was really good so its bound to be good on the switch also.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

It’s a great console for kids mate and you can even monitor and limit the time they spend on it with the Nintendo parental app. Which is excellent for ensuring homework is all done :thumbup:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

So assume it recharges the hand held bit when docked? And that's a bit like a tablet? Ie not triple A battery powered lol

27 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

So assume it recharges the hand held bit when docked? And that's a bit like a tablet? Ie not triple A battery powered lol

Correct, the dock stays plugged in. So when it needs charging you just pop it back on the dock. Battery life is pretty decent. Obviously depending on the game you play but when I played Mario Odyssey I could easily get a few hours out of a full charge. Perfect for at work and you just wanna half hour blast on lunch break or something

On the move you can play it in your hand or slide the controllers off the side and stand the switch up. There is a little stand on the back.

Once the better games come out it will be tough to put it down

Totally hooked on Hollow Knight, what an incredibly beautiful and moving game. I am very early into it as I like to take things slow and explore everything, but I cannot recommend it enough. I can already tell this is going to be a 100 hour+ job.

Edited by z-layrex

Just to make people aware. Nintendo Direct is scheduled for 11pm (GMT) tonight. Was due last week but on the day there was a massive earthquake so they delayed it.

Will be about 35 mins long and will showcase some of the latest news/games coming to the switch. So I would expect a lot of details regarding Smash Bros Ultimate and Mario Party.

Set your reminders :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/09/2018 at 10:10, kingcarr21 said:

Just to make people aware. Nintendo Direct is scheduled for 11pm (GMT) tonight. Was due last week but on the day there was a massive earthquake so they delayed it.

Will be about 35 mins long and will showcase some of the latest news/games coming to the switch. So I would expect a lot of details regarding Smash Bros Ultimate and Mario Party.

Set your reminders :thumbup:

Just caught up with the Direct. What's your verdict on it? Luigi's Mansion is pretty cool. I loved the original. Animal Crossing has got the internet going mental, but I've never played it, so I'm not too fussed either way, apart from the fact that it probably means Metroid Prime is a 2020 release.

Have got a 2DS for a 7 year old, just wondered what parental settings those on here would set as? I've never played this console personally so not sure what goes on compared to a PS4. I've only set software rating upto 7 everything else is restricted, is that going to take away alot? What am I safe to enable?

2 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Have got a 2DS for a 7 year old, just wondered what parental settings those on here would set as? I've never played this console personally so not sure what goes on compared to a PS4. I've only set software rating upto 7 everything else is restricted, is that going to take away alot? What am I safe to enable?

You really don’t need to, that’s one thing Nintendo do very well... keeping kids very safe (much to the annoyance of adult gamers).

On 14/09/2018 at 18:33, Carl the Llama said:

Gave the portable mode a proper trial today on the train to Scotland: Lasted the best part of 4 hours blasting through Zelda which you have to imagine is one of the more resource heavy games.  Given the graphics it puts out label me impressed 

yeah it's pretty awesome. I played for a couple of hours on a flight to New York and the battery held up well. Had to put it away in the end as kids were crowding round my seat to watch me play it!

On 14/09/2018 at 18:04, Phube said:

You really don’t need to, that’s one thing Nintendo do very well... keeping kids very safe (much to the annoyance of adult gamers).

Phube you've always been a Nintendo fan boy... is there anything similar to the Nintendo Wii family games coming out please? Im looking at getting a switch.