Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Choice of songs...

Please can people stop singing stuff like "have you ever seen xxxx (in yesterday's case, Tottenham) win the league".... Clubs with a rich history and we turn up singing shite like this. It's embarrassing.

I'm all for singing about being Champions (I'll still be banging on about it in fifty years time) but singing about other clubs - particularly big clubs - is wrong. Tottenham have won the league multiple times, and we've won it once. 

Sing about ourselves not the opposition (though of course "who came third" and all that was funny).

'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' got started numerous occasions yesterday. Surely we can review the CCTV and issue stadium bans to anyone seen singing it?

Slightly related but why does every fvcking new chant have to be to Sloop John B? Hurts my ears.

48 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Please can people stop singing stuff like "have you ever seen xxxx (in yesterday's case, Tottenham) win the league".... Clubs with a rich history and we turn up singing shite like this. It's embarrassing.

I'm all for singing about being Champions (I'll still be banging on about it in fifty years time) but singing about other clubs - particularly big clubs - is wrong. Tottenham have won the league multiple times, and we've won it once. 

Sing about ourselves not the opposition (though of course "who came third" and all that was funny).

Twice ;) 

I agree about the never winning the league bollocks considering we've done it to completely the wrong teams. Unfortunately people don't bother to research before making statements or singing chants.

I'm all up for celebrating our success but these 'songs' are embarrassing. The whole of last year we laughed in the face of the 'arrogant' fans of the 'big' teams who generally come across as cvnts, singing shit like this just means we've become everything that we defied last season. 

Also anything to the tune of Sloop John fvcking B needs binning immediately. 

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I'm all up for celebrating our success but these 'songs' are embarrassing. The whole of last year we laughed in the face of the 'arrogant' fans of the 'big' teams who generally come across as cvnts, singing shit like this just means we've become everything that we defied last season. 

Also anything to the tune of Sloop John fvcking B needs binning immediately. 

Yeah the arrogance is what I don't get with some teams... The Chelsea game earlier on TV and they were singing stuff like "you'll never be Champions of Europe" and "Lampard has won more than you" to Southampton.

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

They've only won it twice haven't they, not mulitple times? Agree with the sentiment though.

11 hours ago, Keith Wellers Tights said:

They've only won it twice haven't they, not mulitple times? Agree with the sentiment though.

Yeah, 50 and 60, I thought they'd won it again but apparently not.

Generally I hate the chant, it smacks of the sort of arrogance we were supposed to be the antithesis of. To go from singing We Are Staying Up whilst blatantly about to win the league to singing You'll Never Sing That at shit like Hull or Burnley is a little bit shit imo.

But if you're going to sing it at anyone, surely singing it at Spuds is the funniest regardless of whether they won a title in 1510. 

Clearly the message is obvious.

No problem with singing "have you ever seen [player's name win the league]". Decent wind-up. Other than that, couldn't agree more. Give me the mix of songs we had in the Bruges away end any day over most of what we have to put up with at domestic aways.

I agree it's a bit arrogant to do it to smaller clubs and the "You'll never sing that" to Spurs and Liverpool is pathetic, but Im glad we sang about last season against Spurs. How many of those fans at WHL on Saturday were around when they did actually win the league? The way they go on about themselves, it's as if they've won everything possible in the last decade. 

Spurs fans deserve every bit of piss-taking they get. 

17 hours ago, Fox92 said:

tottenham havent won the league in 50 years, think this was most appropriate club to sing it to - they masquerade as a massive club with a grand history in reality historically they're much smaller than forest, villa, everton; they've just got lucky due to their location that they're doing well now

hate them

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I agree it's a bit arrogant to do it to smaller clubs and the "You'll never sing that" to Spurs and Liverpool is pathetic, but Im glad we sang about last season against Spurs. How many of those fans at WHL on Saturday were around when they did actually win the league? The way they go on about themselves, it's as if they've won everything possible in the last decade. 

Spurs fans deserve every bit of piss-taking they get. 

3 hours ago, eblair said:

tottenham havent won the league in 50 years, think this was most appropriate club to sing it to - they masquerade as a massive club with a grand history in reality historically they're much smaller than forest, villa, everton; they've just got lucky due to their location that they're doing well now

hate them

Oh I don't particularly like Spurs - especially with how some of their fans carried on last season - and like the whole "who came second" etc was funny on Saturday don't get me wrong. I'm not against that, I'm just not a fan of singing about history to sides like Spurs - for me it doesn't matter what year they won the title if they have indeed won it. 

19 hours ago, SystonFox said:

Surely the have you ever seen Tottenham win the league is aimed at 21 year old Spurs fans giving it the big un?

they haven't seen Spurs win the league.  I've seen my team win the premier league

Exactly this.

Anyone who gets embarrassed by their own fans singing about winning the league should stay at home because it's going to happen all season.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Exactly this.

Anyone who gets embarrassed by their own fans singing about winning the league should stay at home because it's going to happen all season.

If you read my OP you'll see how I clarify "singing about winning the league".

18 hours ago, Keith Wellers Tights said:

Not that I'm defending any side of the argument but twice is multiple times... The lowest possible definition of it perhaps but applicable nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Oh I don't particularly like Spurs - especially with how some of their fans carried on last season - and like the whole "who came second" etc was funny on Saturday don't get me wrong. I'm not against that, I'm just not a fan of singing about history to sides like Spurs - for me it doesn't matter what year they won the title if they have indeed won it. 

Its not about that though. Nobody was singing that Spurs have never won the league. It was aimed at the more vocal 20-40 odd year olds who think they're a huge club when actually then only have their dads and grandads stories to go off.

Leicester have won the league in all of our lifetimes. Let's enjoy it and rub the noses of those who think they're something they're not in it.

Football in England is all about giving and taking the piss, why stop? I don't get it.

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

If you read my OP you'll see how I clarify "singing about winning the league".

Dont fret mate, it was more at the people who whinge when we've been singing We know what we are in other games. The match thread for united was filled with melts worrying because we were singing it despite being 4-0 down.

I understand your point of view but ultimately my opinion is '**** it, why not?'

On 10/31/2016 at 13:47, Carl the Llama said:

Not that I'm defending any side of the argument but twice is multiple times... The lowest possible definition of it perhaps but applicable nonetheless.

It's not an argument, I agree with most of fox92's posts. Granted, twice is a multiple of once but I don't think they're a big club, that was my point really. Everton are a much bigger club than Spurs. As for spurs fans............cry babies.

having a pint with two spuds last night both at the game last week. One mid fifties the other is 22. Both agreed after the shite and bile some of them spouted last season and since we won the prem they deserve all the piss take we give them.

The older one did say why did we not sing premier league champions you'll never sing that. Seems some of our fans are more upset than the spuds about our songs.

Archived