Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BruinFox

Minutes Silence

8 hours ago, filbertfoxy00 said:

The club fûck things up by complicating it all. Nobody knows when the silence starts or ends.

Clubs are now competing to put on the best Remembrance event!

Drop all the BS and just have a simple minutes respectful silence.

It seems incredible that this seems to happen all to often. I enjoyed the ceremony overall but the trouble is Birch shouts down the mic like an incoherent lunatic. Where I sit in A1 I can rarely understand a word he says. The pre match announcer (who does the teams) is clear though. I was unsure if he said "during" the last post or "ending" with the last post. But obviously I am fortunate that I have a brain capacity of over 1 megabyte so just kept quiet through the whole thing. The tossers shouting "shut the fcuk up" are just as bad, if not worse than the other tossers chanting downstairs.

8 hours ago, filbertfoxy00 said:

The club fûck things up by complicating it all. Nobody knows when the silence starts or ends.

To be fair they did make it really difficult by saying the minutes silence would be during the last post being played, I mean seriously how are we supposed to understand riddles like that.

As others have said it happens most years. Folk in concourses don't realise as they walk up still singing,then it hitsctgem and it's too late cos the silence police have told them to shut the feck upwhich is ironic anyway

Really, how difficult is it for the club to publicise exactly what is happening.

start here, the club website and on Bentleys Roof 

The programme (that is actually what it is for!)

Use the big screens

Use the screens on the concourse

Use the PA - but not the Birch as no one know what he is saying

It isn' t too difficult.

The only thing I could hear on the radio were city fans shouting shut the eff up....I guess you also have to respect that;

a) concourse (as mentioned) people may no realize

b) people do not have to be quiet if they choose not too - Yes it's very disrespectful 

As everyone has said the worst culprit was the guy shouting and the people booing. If you're that honorable then you'd probably stay silent and ignore what others choose to do and no do.

43 minutes ago, pleatout said:

Really, how difficult is it for the club to publicise exactly what is happening.

start here, the club website and on Bentleys Roof 

The programme (that is actually what it is for!)

Use the big screens

Use the screens on the concourse

Use the PA - but not the Birch as no one know what he is saying

It isn' t too difficult.

Are away fans going to look on FT to see if there's a minutes silence? Probably not
Are away fans that are the type to sing in the concourse going to buy a programme? Probably not 
Most of them lot wouldn't have gone up into the stands yet (they were in the concourse) so they wouldn't have seen the screens

Screens in the concourse, OK, but if you don't look you don't see

The PA system is garbage at the best of times and like you say Birch isn't the clearest speaker. 

I'm pretty sure we did the same a couple of seasons back at Southampton away,it happens all over the place. 

a minutes silence you always hear some idiots who won't observe it that is why i prefer the minutes applause for some occasions. i mean how hard is it to be respectful for one or two minutes it is not asking much for those who gave their lives so people could be free to watch football matches

The confusion came during the minute prior to the last post. It went silent whilst carrying the poppies out to the centre which is when the noise was from the away end. I don't think that was planned silence. In hindsight the ref should have blown his whistle for 2 minutes silence. The minute before and the last post. Then there is no confusion like there was. 

This happens a lot. Personally I find it hard to believe that there are so many people who would knowingly shout through the minute's silence. I suspect it may be people in the concourse who aren't aware of what's going on, Indeed distinctly remember that's what happened at Burnley in the 14/15 season.

Of course we also got the usual reply of others booing and shouting in response to the noise. Those people aren't a whole lot better in my view. What they're trying to do is to showcase themselves as righteously outraged while themselves undermining the very thing they're apparently defending.

7 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

After the horn, the ref should've blown his whistle for the silence.

Genuinely thought there was confusion in some quarters despite the Birch/PA guy trying to explain what's happening.

Then you would have had fans in the concourse thinking the game was starting and making a beeline for their seats, which, depending on the number, is potentially dangerous. I think the best solution would be to get the fans in the concourse to their seats 5 minutes before kick off (paint it on the walls in 6 foot high letters), players line up, ref blows his whistle and the last post played for the full minute.

16 hours ago, filbertfoxy00 said:

14 hours ago, inckley fox said:

When you're planning a huge event which depends on the co-operation of 32,000 people, they all need to go along with it - 'willy pullers' and all. If - through being 'willy pullers' or lefties or drunkards or foreigners or just not knowing that they're meant to shut up - people year-in-out fail to observe a silence correctly, it suggests that we need to do more to get everyone on board. Or, even, accept that our stab at remembrance is always destined to be as lousy as it was today. I thought it was poorly planned and overly long to the point of both distracting from the silence and subduing the atmosphere for a good part of the game. And, while I knew when to shut up, I think we have to do a better job, and maybe be a little more succinct, than today if we want everyone else to shut up as well.

I agree very much with both of you here.

The 'add-ons' that some clubs try to pull off lead to greater confusion which needs to be avoided.

I'd like to see the FA define what clubs must do in the five minutes before kick off: for me that should be the last post combined with a minute's silence and nothing else. Same formula everywhere every year meaning confusion is kept to a minimum.

I also think it would be a more fitting tribute. As you say, filbert, what we have now is a situation where some clubs are trying to pull off a 'better' display than others. They're competing with each other, basically. But that's not the purpose of the occassion. It's a national ceremony, not a club ceremony, meaning that uniformity across the country should be valued here and not diversity. 

18 hours ago, Craig said:

Sounded like those singing etc (not those yelling 'shut the **** up') were either in the concourse or outside... 

i thought exactly the same thing. I'm embarrassed to say it was the utter moron shouting "shut the **** up" that was classless scum bag who should be named and shamed. thats a so called Leicester fan and not West Brom as per the OP

14 hours ago, inckley fox said:

When you're planning a huge event which depends on the co-operation of 32,000 people, they all need to go along with it - 'willy pullers' and all. If - through being 'willy pullers' or lefties or drunkards or foreigners or just not knowing that they're meant to shut up - people year-in-out fail to observe a silence correctly, it suggests that we need to do more to get everyone on board. Or, even, accept that our stab at remembrance is always destined to be as lousy as it was today. I thought it was poorly planned and overly long to the point of both distracting from the silence and subduing the atmosphere for a good part of the game. And, while I knew when to shut up, I think we have to do a better job, and maybe be a little more succinct, than today if we want everyone else to shut up as well.

You cant blame the club for the moronic behaviour of a single bell end who took it upon themselves to shout shut the **** up repeatedly. If the original noise was outside or on the concourse everything else stemmed from this retard! 99.9% of the crowd behaved as they should. Lets deal with the retard not look for excuses.

That having been said, I do agree with many of your points and I think the club needs to look at how it organises, communicates and executes these types of events

15 hours ago, inckley fox said:

Odd thing to put...

It should also be remembered that yesterday wasn't actually Remembrance Sunday so you can probably just about forgive those in the concourse for not being aware of it. Remembrance Sunday is next week. I don't know if other clubs at home yesterday and saturday observed anything?

20 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Complete stab in the dark but i reckon it could have been coming from the concourse!

I think it was coming from the concourse my self

1fgwq.gif 

I have to say that I was listening to the minutes silence in the car

The Shut Ups were louder than the noise, either way it was disrespectful to the people who gave their lives for us.

Without their sacrifices we may not have been here.

Image result for poppy gif

16 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

I was in the concourse at Spurs the other week during the minutes silence. They were stopping people coming into the ground during it and it was observed impeccably by all still down there. 

See that's good organisation. I was in my seat and it was perfect silence.

7 hours ago, Harry - LCFC said:

It's a national ceremony, not a club ceremony, meaning that uniformity across the country should be valued here and not diversity. 

Not diversity? Really? Our ancestors fought in the war for freedom and so we could express ourselves. Not diversity is what Hitler was trying to impose. Very narrow minded comment 

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I don't know if other clubs at home yesterday and saturday observed anything?

Are you being serious? lol It was The FA's allocated rememberance weekend fixture. Did you not see all the tributes on match of the day? 

5 minutes ago, DB11 said:

Are you being serious? lol It was The FA's allocated rememberance weekend fixture. Did you not see all the tributes on match of the day? 

Didn't see Match of the Day - was away in the Lake District until Sunday afternoon so was a genuine question. 

I think I assumed there was a round of fixtures next weekend and we were just doing it this weekend because it was our closest home fixture. But I understand now there are International Games next weekend (hence the whole England / Scotland poppy fiasco). 

General point still applies though - yesterday was NOT remembrance Sunday,

Archived