Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Francesco Acerbi

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

so we continue with grandad and uncle at the back !  might not be such a drama if we have some effective protection infront of them.

Christ on a wagon wheel have some respect will you ?  Those two you have just sneered at help us to win the Premiership only last season. Yes we all know it's time to start replacing them but there's no need for your idiot comment. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The basic issue with the two of them is that they are not comfortable in possession so we need one of our two midfielders to go and take the ball off them. If we had three in there then it wouldn't be such a problem. so a central defender who can bring the bill into the midfield would be a great addition (as long as they are also able to do the job of defending !

'grandad and uncle' - seems a reasonable way of describing them but centre halves can get away with being 'old'.  The problem I described above won't go away though. 

Not disagreeing buddy and yes we need cover for Huth and Morgan

just think they have a season or two left in them yet (centre halves can play on until 35 ish usually)

4 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Acerbi or Nastasic or AN Other?

I've not seen much of either, but if I had to choose I'd go with Nastasic. Simply because he's played in the premier league before and it would appear to be easier to adapt from the Bundesliga to the PL. 

Just now, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Keane from Burnley maybe?

Would be a good signing but I can't see it happening. At the start of the season I was thinking someone like Phil Jones, but he seems to playing regularly at Man United so that won't happen either. 

12 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Would be a good signing but I can't see it happening. At the start of the season I was thinking someone like Phil Jones, but he seems to playing regularly at Man United so that won't happen either. 

Part of the problem this year (seems to be anyway) is that the management didn't expect the players who were so excellent last year to suffer this year (mainly Huth and Morgan in this specific example.) Although we grabbed Hernandez on a free I don't genuinely think Claudio bought him to be our number one centre back- I think we just signed him because he had a half decent season, could play CB and RB etc...I don't think he was ever expected to hit the heights of Huth/Morgan last season. This was our issue over the summer. Every club, including PL champions HAS to improve their squad. Look at Chelsea, they barely did it and came what, 9/8th? We didn't improve and freshen the squad and are suffering from it now, possibly because Ranieri didn't expect Huth Morgan especially to perform so differently, and I blame him for this. We should've gone out and got a CB like Jones or Keane, when they were cheaper/more easily available, even just to freshen up the squad. Majorly suffering from our inability in the summer window.

2 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Part of the problem this year (seems to be anyway) is that the management didn't expect the players who were so excellent last year to suffer this year (mainly Huth and Morgan in this specific example.) Although we grabbed Hernandez on a free I don't genuinely think Claudio bought him to be our number one centre back- I think we just signed him because he had a half decent season, could play CB and RB etc...I don't think he was ever expected to hit the heights of Huth/Morgan last season. This was our issue over the summer. Every club, including PL champions HAS to improve their squad. Look at Chelsea, they barely did it and came what, 9/8th? We didn't improve and freshen the squad and are suffering from it now, possibly because Ranieri didn't expect Huth Morgan especially to perform so differently, and I blame him for this. We should've gone out and got a CB like Jones or Keane, when they were cheaper/more easily available, even just to freshen up the squad. Majorly suffering from our inability in the summer window.

10th
And yeah I agree! What I struggle to get to grips with is that we knew that we'd be playing more games this year, regardless of how Morgan and Huth were going to perform. Even if they're going to be first choice, it's a tall order to ask two defenders approaching their mid thirties to play around 45 - 50 games this season 

If we don't pay the premium money for the number 1 targets we need we will just end up with another Benalouane or Hernandez.. more signings that we don't trust in the starting 11. We need a top draw quality centre back who is good enough and experienced enough to go straight in like Huth was 2 years ago.

On 1/4/2017 at 09:22, Ric Flair said:

What I've never been able to understand is Italy are the number one nation in the world for producing quality defenders, who at club level and for their national team are absolute warriors but come to England and seldom do well. I know we play differently in the PL but why do our national team struggle so badly against them then? 

I find it peculiar. I just think they're two very different styles yet ultimately they're a bit better when we come toe to toe.

2 hours ago, les-tah said:

If we don't pay the premium money for the number 1 targets we need we will just end up with another Benalouane or Hernandez.. more signings that we don't trust in the starting 11. We need a top draw quality centre back who is good enough and experienced enough to go straight in like Huth was 2 years ago.

The problem there  of course is we didn't pay a premium for  huth at all...

8 hours ago, MPH said:

The problem there  of course is we didn't pay a premium for  huth at all...

yeah i get that.. but we were dead cert for relegation and Huth hadn't played much that year which helped us getting him.

If we want someone as good as Huth but can actually play out from the back we will be looking to pay premium prices, champions league prices believe it or not lol.

44 minutes ago, les-tah said:

yeah i get that.. but we were dead cert for relegation and Huth hadn't played much that year which helped us getting him.

If we want someone as good as Huth but can actually play out from the back we will be looking to pay premium prices, champions league prices believe it or not lol.

And in fairness we are in a different situation entirely... pretty sure winning the league automatically doubles the price of anyone we are interested in!

1 minute ago, MPH said:

And in fairness we are in a different situation entirely...

well yes..  2014/15 when at this stage we were rock bottom with 14 points having won 3 games.

Opposed to this year being current champions and in then knockout stages of the champions league.

The only similarity is were struggling. 

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

And in fairness we are in a different situation entirely... pretty sure winning the league automatically doubles the price of anyone we are interested in!

it does lol... thats why Man utd only buy people for 35 million+ these days.  they have just won it too many times to buy someone of a normal price...

Sassuolo are after Inter Milan CB as a replacement apparently, think this will go in with an increased offer IMO. Just hope Acerbi is better than I think he is, was concerned with his lack of agility on the back foot against pacy attackers. As we know the PL has much more intensity and speed to deal with than Serie A, which still plays at a relative plod in comparison to our league.

13 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Christ on a wagon wheel have some respect will you ?  Those two you have just sneered at help us to win the Premiership only last season. Yes we all know it's time to start replacing them but there's no need for your idiot comment. 

Indeed, some people don't deserve what these players delivered last season.

Abusing and piss taking of players who achieved far more than any of us ever dreamed is low.

so people are writing him off based on:

- his nationality

- he played in Serie A (remember Cambiasso?)

- his lack of pace on fifa (Huth is slow too)

- youtube videos

- having watched 1 or 2 Sassuolo games in the europa league

classic foxestalk thread

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Indeed, some people don't deserve what these players delivered last season.

Abusing and piss taking of players who achieved far more than any of us ever dreamed is low.

chill out mate.

I think that's a little over reaction. people generally have a lot of respect for grandparents! 

mind you, he's not that old at 32 (same as wes).  the point about being comfortable in possession is what's important here. if we are to evolve into a regular top 8 side then we have to be able to retain the ball to allow some of the players a rest further up the pitch. 

Archived