Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Francesco Acerbi

2 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

so people are writing him off based on:

- his nationality

- he played in Serie A (remember Cambiasso?)

- his lack of pace on fifa (Huth is slow too)

- youtube videos

- having watched 1 or 2 Sassuolo games in the europa league

classic foxestalk thread

I think that's the point though. People don't want another slow CB. I think we're crying out for a bit more pace at the back. 

10 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I think that's the point though. People don't want another slow CB. I think we're crying out for a bit more pace at the back. 

Judging him having watched every goal Sassuolo have conceded this season, and over 3 full (90 min) games watched.  Football Replay .Net has full archives.

Lovely going forward, but Hernandez like when a tenacious/quick striker or winger runs at him. Hopefully I'm completed wrong and he's the next Baresi.

1 minute ago, RoyFox said:

Judging him having watched every goal Sassuolo have conceded this season, and over 3 full (90 min) games watched.  Football Replay .Net has full archives.

Lovely going forward, but Hernandez like when a tenacious/quick striker winger runs at him. Hopefully I'm completed wrong and he's the Baresi.

I haven't seen much of him, but he looks far better on the ball than any CB we've got, which is definitely a positive. 

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I haven't seen much of him, but he looks far better on the ball than any CB we've got, which is definitely a positive. 

You're not wrong, very composed doesn't need to look down at the ball, can pick a pass (nice change). But his Achilles heel is his  speed/mobility on the back foot, Leon Bailey destroyed him (get Bailey in!).

25 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

You're not wrong, very composed doesn't need to look down at the ball, can pick a pass (nice change). But his Achilles heel is his  speed/mobility on the back foot, Leon Bailey destroyed him (get Bailey in!).

Elliot, Walsh, Taggart, Marshall, Huth and Morgan. They did okay?

Pace isn't everything, loads of top centre halves have survived without genuine pace. Reading the game well negates the need for top pace 95% of the time.

12 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Elliot, Walsh, Taggart, Marshall, Huth and Morgan. They did okay?

Pace isn't everything, loads of top centre halves have survived without genuine pace. Reading the game well negates the need for top pace 95% of the time.

True, they were well protected with Lennon and Savage (hopefully Ndidi/Mendy/Amartey can do the same), but the fitness and speed of the game has increased to another level since then.

Morgan and Huth, had a freak in front of them who'd happily clean their dirty laundry don't forget!

out of intrest how quick do you class a quick centre half? If a player has a football thinking brain they shouldnt need pace (well much of it) i dont think any world class centre halfs in the last 10 years have been lightening quick.

a quick centre half isn't our problem and isnt vital.. positional sense almost always wins with a center half opposed to their pace.. its actually the extreme lack of playing ability with he ball at their feet as its always a long terrible ball. i e Morgan everytime.. or a 2 yard pass to drinkwater into our own half( as he can see he has to come extremely deep to compensate this and get the ball)..

Id be happy with Huth and someone else with that ability and defences ability aswell. Thats no disrespect to Morgan its just Huth is a superior defender.

14 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

out of intrest how quick do you class a quick centre half? If a player has a football thinking brain they shouldnt need pace (well much of it) i dont think any world class centre halfs in the last 10 years have been lightening quick.

Kind of replied to that aswell !

8 minutes ago, les-tah said:

a quick centre half isn't our problem and isnt vital.. positional sense almost always wins with a center half opposed to their pace.. its actually the extreme lack of playing ability with he ball at their feet as its always a long terrible ball. i e Morgan everytime.. or a 2 yard pass to drinkwater into our own half( as he can see he has to come extremely deep to compensate this and get the ball)..

Id be happy with Huth and someone else with that ability and defences ability aswell. Thats no disrespect to Morgan its just Huth is a superior defender.

tottally agree, a good Centre Half doesnt need to be quick, they need to read the game and be comfortable with the ball at their feet.

BUT for a Centre half to make these kind of passes he needs movement infront of him which we have lacked for the last couple of months.

I would like to see a defender come forward with the ball and release to Drinkwater / other players futher up the field rather than DD having to drop deep so often and basically acting like a quaterback.

I don't mind a slow-ish CB. I just want one who can defend and play football.  Out utter inability to keep possession is shocking for a Premier League team. 

A ball playing centre back is much needed. 

16 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

tottally agree, a good Centre Half doesnt need to be quick, they need to read the game and be comfortable with the ball at their feet.

BUT for a Centre half to make these kind of passes he needs movement infront of him which we have lacked for the last couple of months.

I would like to see a defender come forward with the ball and release to Drinkwater / other players futher up the field rather than DD having to drop deep so often and basically acting like a quaterback.

Ndidi will drop deep, be plays like Nzonzi as an anchor in a 3 usually. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Which won't solve anything unless we have a three and ndidi has two options in front of him 

too easy for teams to press us and we have to launch it 

I think a 3 is the way we'll set up now, especially as all our games this month (bar Chelsea) are away from home. 

37 minutes ago, Koke said:

I don't mind a slow-ish CB. I just want one who can defend and play football.  Out utter inability to keep possession is shocking for a Premier League team. 

A ball playing centre back is much needed. 

Whilst i would agree with you, i think you might be misunderstanding our reason for going  for him...

It wont at all be for keeping possession as such, but to try and ping the pass out more quickly to encourage the counter-attack...

I don't currently trust our scouting department, but I'm exceptionally wary of youtube warriors claiming they've watched every game. Reports would suggest he's a decent fit, but I'm very sceptical about our continental scouting currently .Hernandez is as good a player based on these stats.

I've also heard Amartey will be used more as a defender with the arrival of Ndidi and return to fitness of Mendy.

1 hour ago, RoyFox said:

I think a 3 is the way we'll set up now, especially as all our games this month (bar Chelsea) are away from home. 

well hopefully someone will tell the players because on Monday, they weren't looking for the extra body when things got tight and resorted to hoof mode

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

well hopefully someone will tell the players because on Monday, they weren't looking for the extra body when things got tight and resorted to hoof mode

That's because we were/are a. Lacking a creative/attacking midfielder with strong technical ability as an outlet and b. Using Ulloa as a lone striker.

Vardy will change things but we still have this gap through the middle, especially now Mahrez isn't here to play CAM (although he wasn't that effective anyway).

Stick a creative midfielder alongside Drinkwater with Ndidi behind as anchor and we could inflict damage home and away IMO.

On 1/6/2017 at 10:35, Abrasive fox said:

I don't currently trust our scouting department, but I'm exceptionally wary of youtube warriors claiming they've watched every game. Reports would suggest he's a decent fit, but I'm very sceptical about our continental scouting currently .Hernandez is as good a player based on these stats.

I've also heard Amartey will be used more as a defender with the arrival of Ndidi and return to fitness of Mendy.

A bit worried we have fallen into our own stats rabbit hole? Does anyone know if Sassuolo play 2 or 3 CBs?

I really think Dan A will turn into a CB for us long term and based on today's performance, we'll maybe go 442 or 433/4321 more as well with NM and WNdd holding or maybe WN with DD in a 442. 

1 hour ago, HoustonFox said:

I really think Dan A will turn into a CB for us long term and based on today's performance, we'll maybe go 442 or 433/4321 more as well with NM and WNdd holding or maybe WN with DD in a 442. 

I think you are right about Amartey. It was rumoured we were going to use him there against Everton at home with Huth being out as he played there for Copenhagen too. He's definitely got the physical attributes to play the position and based on recent games, think he is reading the game better all the time. He'd definitely need an older, wiser defender to lead him though to learn it and would likely make mistakes whilst he gets to grips with the role in the way Baily for Man U has had to do.

Though inconsistent, he has some very good performances in CM so he is quite versatile, but I would like us to get a top class Centre Back to ultimately take over as the defensive lynch pin once Morgan and Huth can't hack it any more.

Archived