Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

£30m to spend?

Claudio Ranieri handed £30m transfer pot to keep Leicester City in Premier League

Leicester City

Leicester City are down in the dumps at the moment CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

27 DECEMBER 2016 • 10:30PM

Claudio Ranieri will be given more than £30million to spend in January as Leicester’s owners move to revive the Premier League champions’ season.

Ranieri has been assured of significant funds and is targeting at least three new signings, with Racing Genk’s Wilfred Ndidi to be the first arrival of a New Year spending spree.

Ndidi, 20, will officially complete his £14million move in the first week of January after agreeing a five-year contract and the defensive midfielder is seen as a huge coup by Leicester’s recruitment team.

But Ranieri is also preparing to bring in further signings to help Leicester avoid the prospect of a relegation battle, with a centre-half, central midfielder and striker seen as priority positions.

Leicester have scouted Burnley defender Michael Keane over the past 12 months but are understood to now be focusing on the foreign market, despite a number of underwhelming signings from abroad in the summer.

Wilfred Ndidi is heading for the King Power Stadium 
Wilfred Ndidi is heading for the King Power Stadium  CREDIT: AP

Adrien Silva, the Sporting Lisbon midfielder, was pursued by Leicester before deadline day, yet they are unlikely to renew their interest due to a huge £38million release clause. 

But there is a clear determination to sign players in the January window, despite the obvious reluctance of clubs to sell at such a crucial stage in the season.

Ranieri’s need for new signings will increase next month when record £28million signing Islam Slimani, Riyad Mahrez and Daniel Amartey depart to play in the Africa Cup of Nations.

Fringe players including Leonardo Ulloa and Jeffrey Schlupp are also expected to be sold after expressing concern over a lack of first-team opportunities.

Claudio Ranieri
Claudio Ranieri is starting to feel the heat CREDIT: REUTERS

Leicester’s recruitment after winning the league has come under intense scrutiny after a summer spend of more than£60million, with Slimani and Ahmed Musa, who cost £15million, struggling during Leicester’s title defence.

Nampalys Mendy has also suffered with injuries while Poland international Bartosz Kapustka, another summer signing, is expected to leave the club on loan in January.

But Leicester’s ambitious Thai owners are prepared to sanction more signings to help mount a revival over the second half of the campaign.

Marc Albrighton, the winger, said: “If the club are looking to do [new signings] then we welcome them. 

Leicester players celebrate
Life was very different for Leicester's players back in May

“If the club think they are the right players to help the team then I am sure they will improve the team. We have got to welcome them and get them into the Leicester philosophy.

“If people are talking on the outside about relegation battles that is up to them. As players we are the only ones who can turn this around and to do that we have to be focused on moving forwards.

“There is a long way to go in the season. We are only halfway but we need to have a better second half to the season than the first half.”

Leicester’s defeat to Everton on Boxing Day leaves Ranieri’s squad just three points above the relegation zone.

Can't help thinking the money has gone to everyone's head, if there is any truth in this. We desperately need another centre-half. Anyone better than Was will be useful. Every club has two reasonable ones below the PL. Go scout? Have we really learned nothing from bringing in over-hyped, overrated and overpriced players from overseas this summer? We need some grit and fight for the second half of the season given the battles ahead. Can't help thinking we could find that closer to home and cheaper. When the All Blacks demolished England in the WC a few years back, they asked Lomu to make the speech pre-match. One stand out comment was that he said "I am prepared to die today to win this match". A couple of players prepared to go out and show that spirit may have a more galvanising effect than another expensive show-pony. 

42 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Can't help thinking the money has gone to everyone's head, if there is any truth in this. We desperately need another centre-half. Anyone better than Was will be useful. 

I personally think we have one in Benalouane. He did very little wrong when he played last season.

1 hour ago, sdb said:

Well if we sell Ulloa and Schlupp as reported that gives us another £20 mill. Does feel like we don't really have a clue now though which is a bit gutting. 

15m if we are lucky Imo.

It could be more about getting wages of the books so we can bring in new players.

I reckon the Ndidi money is U23 squad stuff for the moment - we are building an incredible development team which is great and some of them are getting a first team taste now and learning how to be senior players and lead.....

We'll need a lot more than 30 million unless we are turning to the loan market to replace Schlupp, Ulloa and find cover for team AFCON.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see us spend big this window - the club still have their eye on the CL too.....

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

I reckon the Ndidi money is U23 squad stuff for the moment - we are building an incredible development team which is great and some of them are getting a first team taste now and learning how to be senior players and lead.....

We'll need a lot more than 30 million unless we are turning to the loan market to replace Schlupp, Ulloa and find cover for team AFCON.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see us spend big this window - the club still have their eye on the CL too.....

They don't view him as a development player certainly. He'll come into the squad. They're looking at a defender (CB) and a CAM, not sure on names but they're the positions they want. Maybe a right back if an affordable one becomes available. Don't be suprised to see Amartey feature at CB / RB in the second half of the season.

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

...do you honestly think we've got a hope in Hell of beating Sevilla and progressing in the CL?

11 minutes ago, Wilson_6 said:

Cant we buy just a load of average championship players who will play there hearts out instead of spending loads on foreign players? or is that me being "Tin pot"? haha

Nah man not "tinpot" it's exactly what I'd do - look domestically.

We're buying average foreign players from poor leagues. And another £30mill on these sort of players? We'll piss that away easy.

8 minutes ago, sylofox said:

15m if we are lucky Imo.

It could be more about getting wages of the books so we can bring in new players.

You'd be surprised in RE to Jeffrey, I work in West Brom and for some unbeknownst reason to me most of the fans and seemingly the management are well up for signing him, I dunno if any of them have actually seen him play or watched his "best bits" on YouTube, the way they talk about him I'm presuming the latter lol We've already turned down 12 mil for him so could potentially be looking at nearly 15 just for him alone, which is pretty mad. Mind you we will have to see if they are still interested. 

Leo I dunno he is getting on and has his limitations but he can bag you enough goals to stay up if given consistent service. You would like to think we could at least get close to getting our 10 Million back on him, may have to take a bit of a hit but I'd be surprised if we ended up with much less than 20 for both.

Archived