Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rachik

Is Slimani good for the team ?

37 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Missed him today I feel.

Ulloa didn't play badly actually. He held the ball up ok and was working his socks off. Again, he got zero supply apart from a couple of average crosses.

But Slimani is a better finisher. 

That's the problem col, how negative we have played, wether through form or tactics, whoever is up top is going to struggle with the total non existent supply.

Through the really hard time around the Watford game, we had something like 1 shot on target in 4 games, don't know how the stats hold out, but remember my mate saying, as he'd read it somewhere.

Then the commentator saying today that the assist Albrighton got against West Ham was his first since last December, then we wonder why we struggle.

Little or no attacking threat at times, and willing to sit and try and absorb pressure.

18 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

That's the problem col, how negative we have played, wether through form or tactics, whoever is up top is going to struggle with the total non existent supply.

Through the really hard time around the Watford game, we had something like 1 shot on target in 4 games, don't know how the stats hold out, but remember my mate saying, as he'd read it somewhere.

Then the commentator saying today that the assist Albrighton got against West Ham was his first since last December, then we wonder why we struggle.

Little or no attacking threat at times, and willing to sit and try and absorb pressure.

Your usual good stuff mate. Glad you get it.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's technically very limited but he's proven that with a team that suits him, he can score a hatful. I know it's against Portuguese teams but would you have backed him to score many playing for Leicester against those teams? I wouldn't. He's proven that when he does get the service, he generally delivers.

You're always on a hiding to nothing once you start playing players outside of their capabilities.

Actually I disagree with what you said. Being a technical player is not just about ball control and dribbling. For me he is a very good technical player. He is  what I like to call " a cerebral striker ". The way he moves after a cross is something to behold.  his movement is far better than the "donkeys". His work rate and positioning are amazing. His clumsiness made him look like a technically weak player. But, he is as smart as you can get. 

1 hour ago, Monsell1976 said:

I was shocked too, considering Albrighton created the highest number of chances for us last season. But if you put Albrighton on the right he's going to be getting loads of assists, if he's crossing into Slimani. His cross wasn't even near the barline, it was barely into the West Ham half, he really is dangerous on the right wing.

2 hours ago, the fox said:

Actually I disagree with what you said. Being a technical player is not just about ball control and dribbling. For me he is a very good technical player. He is  what I like to call " a cerebral striker ". The way he moves after a cross is something to behold.  his movement is far better than the "donkeys". His work rate and positioning are amazing. His clumsiness made him look like a technically weak player. But, he is as smart as you can get. 

I think that you've covered that really well. I feel a little bit sorry for Albrighton as when he's put on his favoured side he will always seem to supply some great crosses into dangerous areas. Unfortunately for him because of his wilingness and work rate, he's been used to 'do a job' on the left as we'd had the brilliant Marhez to cut in from the right. Sadly he's gone awol thus far. Whilst I'm not sure how Slimani and Vardy will work together, I do think he will turn out to be a valuable asset.  Like you, I feel that he's far more than just a big lump up front and his movement and work rate is good. I can remember the negative press Drogba got in his first season at Chelsea, he didn't turn out too bad!

we just need to provide him with the service and he needs to get into good positions and be proactive in his approach and be more aggressive in getting the ball and doing something with it.he is an excellent at heading the ball and needs to develop his partnership with Vardy so they don't occupy each others space and can be a double threat against teams

Is Slimani good for the team?  Absolutely.  I think his return on goals so far is pretty good for his first half a season in England.  I think there is a clumsiness to the appearance of his movement, but he is not actually clumsy.  The more I have read about him and his determination to succeed at Leicester, the more I like the guy.  I do not think we can so easily dismiss the number of goals he scored in Portugal.  I expect him to prove to be a good signing for our club.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very interesting discussion with a huge Sporting Lisbon fan today, who had flown in from Lisbon for a work meeting.  We spent most of the time talking about football.

He absolutely raved about Slimani; obviously a much loved and admired player there.  They have struggled since he left.  He told me about how Slim was always running and was totally committed.  This is one of the reasons why he gets to so many headers.  When he first arrived from Algeria, he was not so good with the ball at his feet, but this apparently really developed over the following two years and he became adept and receiving the ball (often with his back to goal) before laying it off with precision and getting in to a good position in the box.

He though £30M was a fair price for such a great player.

48 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

He's doing ok but we miss Okazaki on the pitch. And if you offered his 30m back now I think most fans would take it.

I agree Danny....our league is more physical and I have surprised how he has been bullied,, ,not seen the work rate and first touch is poor, however he may benefit from a preseason but our play certainly does not suit him or Vardy and for me I think we could have purchased a better fit for £30m...

personally i I dislike his body language/attitude,....hate to players chastising teammates like he did young Chilly and would rather see effort and desire......time will tell!

50 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

He's doing ok but we miss Okazaki on the pitch. And if you offered his 30m back now I think most fans would take it.

I honestly wouldn't. I think he will be great for us and without his goals this season, which only he could probably score due to how good he is in the air, we would be in a bigger mess. 

He has come into a team that has been massively underperforming, and still scored 6 goals for us. Can't wait to see how good he can be, when we sort our formation out and players start to rediscover some form. 

His aerial threat is superb. Can see that by the headers he's scored.

He's new to this league, new to this country. Give the lad some time.

I think he looked good being the one up top against West Ham.

The conundrum is trying to play him, Vardy, Mahrez, Gray etc in one go. I just don't think it works, someone has to give

28 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

I agree Danny....our league is more physical and I have surprised how he has been bullied,, ,not seen the work rate and first touch is poor, however he may benefit from a preseason but our play certainly does not suit him or Vardy and for me I think we could have purchased a better fit for £30m...

personally i I dislike his body language/attitude,....hate to players chastising teammates like he did young Chilly and would rather see effort and desire......time will tell!

He's one of the most visibly competitive players I've seen. His effort is obvious when he's attacking a cross or charging down a defender.

I expected him to form a formidable partnership with Mahrez, but it didn't happen (I'd blame Mahrez and his poor form, but Slim isn't without guilt here). Still waiting for that, hopefully they'll connect. As for Slim & Vards, it doesn't look good. Slim & Moose even worse. Time will tell. So far I'm disappointed with his technical ability and physical presence, he's getting bullied quite a lot for a tall guy and doesn't win a lot of headers.

What I like, apart from his goals and assists, is his commitment and motivation. But sometimes his body language is worrying. His form is far from greatness and he didn't do much to elevate himself above the others, so I'd rather if he just kept his head down and did his job, show some proper football skills instead of gesticulating and yelling at his teammates. It's childish and doesn't seem to help anybody.

9 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I expected him to form a formidable partnership with Mahrez, but it didn't happen (I'd blame Mahrez and his poor form, but Slim isn't without guilt here). Still waiting for that, hopefully they'll connect. As for Slim & Vards, it doesn't look good. Slim & Moose even worse. Time will tell. So far I'm disappointed with his technical ability and physical presence, he's getting bullied quite a lot for a tall guy and doesn't win a lot of headers.

What I like, apart from his goals and assists, is his commitment and motivation. But sometimes his body language is worrying. His form is far from greatness and he didn't do much to elevate himself above the others, so I'd rather if he just kept his head down and did his job, show some proper football skills instead of gesticulating and yelling at his teammates. It's childish and doesn't seem to help anybody.

Shows that he cares though. Most of our other players just shrug nowadays.

45 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Shows that he cares though. Most of our other players just shrug nowadays.

You're right, he cares about himself, unfortunately it is a team game and he would do to remember that, against Man City, he showed he can play with Vardy, one assist with the through ball, he is a bit selfish when others are in better positions, I have also noted how he will close down, but tends to slow up as he reaches the player, I've felt he is trying to con us at times.

25 minutes ago, Blackpool Fox 69 said:

You're right, he cares about himself, unfortunately it is a team game and he would do to remember that, against Man City, he showed he can play with Vardy, one assist with the through ball, he is a bit selfish when others are in better positions, I have also noted how he will close down, but tends to slow up as he reaches the player, I've felt he is trying to con us at times.

Harsh!  Would you say the same about Vardy's effort levels this season?

29 minutes ago, Blackpool Fox 69 said:

I've noticed a lot of finger pointing from him. Quite a few times he's pointed at an oppo player, as if to suggest someone should close them down... despite him being clearly the best placed person to do so.

Archived