Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Graham Taylor dies

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

The suggestion was with England is that the players at the time didn't really get his ideas and way of playing (which is mainly what the press* hated...) and as ever with England there were a few selection debates.

(Maybe the fact we had got to the World Cup semis in 1990 increased the pressure and expectations)

No doubt it hurt him but GT went into the media later on so much have had some forgiveness.

*Even as manager of us in the 80s there was a lot of stick with suggestions of taking the game back years etc.

Well, he certianly isn't the only manager to have failed with England, so can't hold that against him.

People make a fuss about him subbing Lineker in the final game, but I see it as just a roll of the dice - and who knows, it might have come off and then everyone hails the manager's masterstroke and bravery. Fine lines.

I really enjoyed listening to him on the radio - a very intelligent and charming man and also quite enjoyed poking a bit of fun at himself which is a good trait! 

The way he was treated by the gutter press - in particular the turnip bullshit was appalling. As was the contempt and hatred directed at him in public. His mismanagement of the England team and his bewildering selections resulted in justified criticism but the personal slurs and the abuse he suffered at the time was deplorable. His tenure as England Manager, however dismal, remembered for the failure to qualify for the 2004 US World Cup was blighted by a dearth of talent and a transitional stage in the National team - compared to Roy, he was Sir Alf Ramsey. 

The press massacared this man,it was relentless. Any other bloke would have been broken,but he kept at it and relighted his enthusiasm in punditry. Seemed like a gentleman who knew the game and lived for it

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I wonder if Gaelic Fox has any comment to make on our tributes being paid to a man who's died...

Haven't heard from Gaelic for a while now. Assume he's on a long term ban or even jacked in FT for good. He was good value on the boxing thread tbf

2 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

Always liked Taylor. That documentary was a classic and I liked him

even more after watching it.

Jim White just phoned Doug Ellis on SSN, I think Doug's gone gaga,

he kept saying he could see himself on telly.

Jesus, how old is Deadly Doug - must be about 137 or something!

Sounds funny, try and find a clip of it!

At the time of his retirement, only one out of three managers to get to 1'000 league games.

A gentle man by all accounts and greatly mistreated by the press and fans alike. As others have said, he wasn't far off from pulling off a great feat with England. EURO '92 and the WC 1994 qualifiers could've been so much different if it hadn't been for individual mistakes on the pitch and several costly injuries to key players - but the manager always takes the blame for that, unfortunately. The subsequent hate campaigns were simply unworthy, he still has a better winning percentage than most national team managers in history. Sadly, performance were outdone by results. It didn't help that Norway at the time were unbelievebly strong (I think not even the 1998 outfit came close) and that the referees somehow favoured the Dutch in both direct encounters, ignoring clear and heavy fouls by the Oranje.

Really sad news. he got absolutely assassinated by the press when he was England manager and was the first to be vegetabilised by the press who called him a turnip.but he was an excellent club manager which led to the England job

Lets be honest the press had hounded out Bobby Robson before him and remember some program about his time at England when he went through the proposed team and the press agreed with him then turned on him when we lost. Heard him at an after dinner speech and he came across as a decent guy who loved Football a sad loss.

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Strange comment to make.

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Strange comment to make.

I take it you didn't see his histrionics over the death of George Michael directed at people here being positive in commenting on him as a personality.

Archived