Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

16 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Why does every post you make contain a reference to "immigrants/immigration" no matter which thread you're on?

58f4a0d89cd12_hobbyhorse.jpg.8b3f12bf4777ef985bc0907f029988c8.jpg

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Why does every post you make contain a reference to "immigrants/immigration" no matter which thread you're on?

He's simultaneously writing headlines for the Daily Mail and gets confused between which application he's writing on

3 hours ago, Thracian said:

When I suggested reacting to the Twin towers attrocity with acts of positive commemoration of the victims (like the setting up of youth clubs/theatres/communal orchards)   I don't remember anyone on here agreeing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

At least the Americans aren't limp-wristed appeasers whose actions constantly make the problems worse from much of what i see.

And in the case of the wacky administration in North Korea something needs to be done for sure. Certainly as far as the threat to the US is concerned. 

This side of the Atlantic do we even have a proper, consistent, foreign policy on anything related to the Middle East and offshoot difficulties these days?

Haha, we promised action on immigration years back and have done sod all so far in terms of even official numbers let alone the reality.  . 

Eventually comes the need to jump down from the fence and decide what you're going to stand for.

Yet, so often, I hear people expressing a perfectly defensible view but then reflecting uncertainty and indecision when the view is tested.

To me it's not really about who's right or wrong it's about what you want to effect in the end.

Right or wrong could actually  be quite easy to agree in the main - though someone somewhere down the line would doubtless move the goalposts - but I doubt it ever will be in any case, and certainly not by some minds.  

Black and white morality is only reasonable when there is an issue that either affects one individual, or everyone. Everything in between, using human groups constructs...made by humans, so flawed, so always at least some nuance.

That second highlighted sentence is incredibly sad - an exposition of the idea that 'Might Makes Right'. It's so sad because it's been so accurate through human history and is still pretty accurate now. Would be nice if we could get past that.

17 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Black and white morality is only reasonable when there is an issue that either affects one individual, or everyone. Everything in between, using human groups constructs...made by humans, so flawed, so always at least some nuance.

That second highlighted sentence is incredibly sad - an exposition of the idea that 'Might Makes Right'. It's so sad because it's been so accurate through human history and is still pretty accurate now. Would be nice if we could get past that.

But we won't - and there's no sense pretending otherwise. To take a purely random example Soulsby wants to build a new road for buses in Leicester City Centre. To do that he needs someone else's land.

How can it be right that he can impose his will by acquiring that land through the process of a compulsory purchase order and likely negotiations as a consequence?

I'm not in any way suggesting Soulsby's intended development is wrong or right - simply that it exactly illustrates my point that what prevails is not what's right or wrong but the will of the strongest "authority", be that a government, an army, a multi-national corporation or even the people for better or worse.

5 hours ago, Thracian said:

But we won't - and there's no sense pretending otherwise. To take a purely random example Soulsby wants to build a new road for buses in Leicester City Centre. To do that he needs someone else's land.

How can it be right that he can impose his will by acquiring that land through the process of a compulsory purchase order and likely negotiations as a consequence?

I'm not in any way suggesting Soulsby's intended development is wrong or right - simply that it exactly illustrates my point that what prevails is not what's right or wrong but the will of the strongest "authority", be that a government, an army, a multi-national corporation or even the people for better or worse.

I don't believe that's true for all future time. I've not completely given over to nihilism yet. :D

10 hours ago, Thracian said:

Isn't the feeling of "tolerating" something, a sure sign of something being wrong?   

Erm... no. And by that very statement you have convicted yourself. You clearly object to immigration and immigrants. That's exactly why I said what I said. Society tolerates many things. It's only wrong if you have prejudices.

You have no tolerance and by replying as you did you suggest immigration is wrong.

For years I tolerated my daughter's aberrant behaviour and was exonerated by a diagnosis of serious mental health issues. I "tolerated" it because I was not prepared to allow her to be prejudiced.

Tolerance is a virtue and should be applied to all. You obviously have an issue with immigrants. It's clear from your posts. Don't deny the very thing you hang your hat on, that makes you a hypocrite.

Edited by Parafox

34 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Erm... no. And by that very statement you have convicted yourself. You clearly object to immigration and immigrants. That's exactly why I said what I said. Society tolerates many things. It's only wrong if you have prejudices.

You have no tolerance and by replying as you did you suggest immigration is wrong.

For years I tolerated my daughter's aberrant behaviour and was exonerated by a diagnosis of serious mental health issues. I "tolerated" it because I was not prepared to allow her to be prejudiced.

Tolerance is a virtue and should be applied to all. You obviously have an issue with immigrants. It's clear from your posts. Don't deny the very thing you hang your hat on, that makes you a hypocrite.

You clearly haven't got a clue what I think. As for being "a hypocrite" judge all you like (it's discouraged in the Bible but I wouldn't imagine you a Christian)  regarding me or your daughter. But look to yourself first. Few of even my worst enemies call me a hypocrite.      

47 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Imagine living a life which causes you to have "enemies".

So many enemies, in fact, that some of them are more inimical than others and these are your "worst enemies".

I don't, to my knowledge, have any enemies at all.  I must be doing it wrong...

It's no mystery, Vac.

You reap what you sow.

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

According to the Times, the US intends to prioritise trade with the EU over the UK after conversations between Trump and Merkel, as well as work in the background.

So much for "front of the queue", hmmm?

They've been trying to negotiate TTIP for years. I won't hold my breath.

:nigel:

TRUMP: Look, I met with Congressman Cummings and I really liked him, a lot. Elijah Cummings (of Maryland). I really liked him a lot. And during the conversation because we have a very strong mutual feeling on drug prices. He came to see me, at my invitation, because I saw him talking about, he came to see me about drug prices because drug prices are ridiculous. And I am going to get them way, way, way down and he liked that. He said you will be the greatest president. He said you will be, in front of five, six people, he said you will be the greatest president in the history of this country.

Associated Press: He disputed that slightly.

TRUMP: That’s what he said. I mean, what can I tell you?

AP: Yeah.

TRUMP: There’s six people sitting here. What did he, what, what do you mean by slightly?

AP: He said, he said that he felt like you could be a great president if and then —

TRUMP: Well he said, you’ll be the greatest president in the history of, but you know what, I’ll take that also, but that you could be. But he said, will be the greatest president but I would also accept the other. In other words, if you do your job, but I accept that. Then I watched him interviewed and it was like he never even was here. It’s incredible. I watched him interviewed a week later and it’s like he was never in my office. And you can even say that.

AP: And that’s one of the difficulties I think presidents have had is that you can have these personal relationships with people from the other party, but then it’s hard to actually change how people vote or change how people —

TRUMP: No I have, it’s interesting, I have, seem to get very high ratings. I definitely. You know Chris Wallace had 9.2 million people, it’s the highest in the history of the show. I have all the ratings for all those morning shows. When I go, they go double, triple. Chris Wallace, look back during the Army-Navy football game, I did his show that morning.

AP: I remember, right.

TRUMP: It had 9.2 million people. It’s the highest they’ve ever had. On any, on air, (CBS “Face the Nation” host John) Dickerson had 5.2 million people. It’s the highest for “Face the Nation” or as I call it, “Deface the Nation.” It’s the highest for “Deface the Nation” since the World Trade Center. Since the World Trade Center came down. It’s a tremendous advantage.

:sge:

2 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

TRUMP: Look, I met with Congressman Cummings and I really liked him, a lot. Elijah Cummings (of Maryland). I really liked him a lot. And during the conversation because we have a very strong mutual feeling on drug prices. He came to see me, at my invitation, because I saw him talking about, he came to see me about drug prices because drug prices are ridiculous. And I am going to get them way, way, way down and he liked that. He said you will be the greatest president. He said you will be, in front of five, six people, he said you will be the greatest president in the history of this country.

TRUMP: There’s six people sitting here. What did he, what, what do you mean by slightly?

AP: He said, he said that he felt like you could be a great president if and then —

TRUMP: Well he said, you’ll be the greatest president in the history of, but you know what, I’ll take that also, but that you could be. But he said, will be the greatest president but I would also accept the other. In other words, if you do your job, but I accept that. Then I watched him interviewed and it was like he never even was here. It’s incredible. I watched him interviewed a week later and it’s like he was never in my office. And you can even say that.

Yeah.

That's what happens when you let the state regulate marijuana production..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Seeing as I iz a bit fick and can't contribute anything intellectual to this debate tell jokes, I'll just leave these here instead...

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Seeing as I iz a bit fick and can't contribute anything intellectual to this debate tell jokes, I'll just leave these here instead...

You're on fire tonight Bucey old chap!! :schmike:

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

AP: And that’s one of the difficulties I think presidents have had is that you can have these personal relationships with people from the other party, but then it’s hard to actually change how people vote or change how people —

TRUMP: No I have, it’s interesting, I have, seem to get very high ratings. I definitely. You know Chris Wallace had 9.2 million people, it’s the highest in the history of the show. I have all the ratings for all those morning shows. When I go, they go double, triple. Chris Wallace, look back during the Army-Navy football game, I did his show that morning.

AP: I remember, right.

TRUMP: It had 9.2 million people. It’s the highest they’ve ever had. On any, on air, (CBS “Face the Nation” host John) Dickerson had 5.2 million people. It’s the highest for “Face the Nation” or as I call it, “Deface the Nation.” It’s the highest for “Deface the Nation” since the World Trade Center. Since the World Trade Center came down. It’s a tremendous advantage.

:sge:

.....no words.