Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I think I see what you mean - it doesn't really matter what political will is driving at any particular time on this one?

I have to say I disagree because I think scientific innovations that might "save the world" don't mean jack if they're not supported or implemented by the political powers that be, but I see where you're coming from.

Aye, could be. Could be a little of both in the end

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Bit of a contradictory report.

The article clearly states that

Cannabis use remains illegal in all states for people under the age of 18.

So, that already explains why the majority of teenagers are less likely to use cannabis in the first place.

What other teenage age group is left then?

Technically, at 18, you're an adult in the US.

The wording makes no sense to me. And I don't see how legalizing cannabis should have an impact on the drug use of teenagers, when it's already been illegal before.

The concerning bit is

While overall use of the drug among young people went up in the US, ...

I can see some positive side effects of cannabis and a positive use in case of soothing pain of terminally ill patients for instance, but in general, I remain skeptic. The plant isn't fully researched and different people react differently when smoking marijuana, there are still plenty of negative side effects.

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48916388

This would actually be absolutely hilarious if a significantly sized voting bloc didn't actually believe it.

I agree the US can and should do better in terms of renewable energy sources, infrastructure and technology - however, the reality isn't as bad as some are trying to make out.

Quoting the same article:

a 2018 Environmental Performance Index report by Yale University, Columbia University and the World Economic Forum ranked the US at 27 out of 180 countries in environmental performance.

For air quality, it listed the US as 10th in the world.

The US ties for first place with a number of other countries when it comes to drinking water, but is 31st in sanitation.

The sanitation part is slightly worrying, time to improve the plumbing and whatnot.

48 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Bit of a contradictory report.

The article clearly states that

So, that already explains why the majority of teenagers are less likely to use cannabis in the first place.

What other teenage age group is left then?

Technically, at 18, you're an adult in the US.

The wording makes no sense to me. And I don't see how legalizing cannabis should have an impact on the drug use of teenagers, when it's already been illegal before.

The concerning bit is

I can see some positive side effects of cannabis and a positive use in case of soothing pain of terminally ill patients for instance, but in general, I remain skeptic. The plant isn't fully researched and different people react differently when smoking marijuana, there are still plenty of negative side effects.

I've not even read the article and I can tell you that you're mistaking "illegal" with "not practised" and I imagine the discovery is that by legalising cannabis for people who can prove they're of age, the street dealers have been hit hard and fallen in numbers making it more difficult for underage teens to get their hands on cannabis... ergo lower consumption among teens.  Am I close?

53 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I agree the US can and should do better in terms of renewable energy sources, infrastructure and technology - however, the reality isn't as bad as some are trying to make out.

Quoting the same article:

The sanitation part is slightly worrying, time to improve the plumbing and whatnot.

Oh, I agree that the US is doing at least moderately well (or were across the board until Nov 2016 anyhow), the bit I find hilarious is Trump trying to present himself as a positive force for the environment when pretty much every single policy decision his administration has made on the topic has been a negative for the environment. It's such an unabashed, fallacious piece of spin that you have to laugh.

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I've not even read the article and I can tell you that you're mistaking "illegal" with "not practised" and I imagine the discovery is that by legalising cannabis for people who can prove they're of age, the street dealers have been hit hard and fallen in numbers making it more difficult for underage teens to get their hands on cannabis... ergo lower consumption among teens.  Am I close?

That may be true, and the article refers to that scenario, as well.

However, the study only attributes the drop "partly" to the decrease of street dealers, so there are other factors - which the article doesn't go into detail about.

And at the very end, they at least mention that this study is contradicted by another one from 2018.

The whole thing leaves me more confused than I was before, the article doesn't give a clear indication as to whether legalization of cannabis is actually a good thing (for society) or not.

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

That may be true, and the article refers to that scenario, as well.

However, the study only attributes the drop "partly" to the decrease of street dealers, so there are other factors - which the article doesn't go into detail about.

And at the very end, they at least mention that this study is contradicted by another one from 2018.

The whole thing leaves me more confused than I was before, the article doesn't give a clear indication as to whether legalization of cannabis is actually a good thing (for society) or not.

Ok but you see how I knew exactly what the story was going to be?  That's because it's a subject I'm interested in and I'm happy to take the time to look into it if I'm unsure about something.  I don't just look for one potential flaw in the argument and jump on it no questions asked.  Case in point the contradictory Colorado study.  BBC doesn't link to it but I believe they mean a study where a small drop was recorded but it wasn't considered significant enough to be the basis for any conclusions. (I cba to look for it you can do so if you're suddenly keen on being linked to the evidence after being happy to take a single line from that article as gospel).  When multiple studies show one thing and one study doesn't quite show it, do you believe the multiples or do you discard the other evidence in favour of the one study?

If you answered the latter: Congratulations, you are qualified to be a US Republican lawmaker.

• Like 1

Portland, oh Portland:

This already happened more than a week ago, but just shows how crazy Antifa really are. Hypocritical to shout about peace and freedom, then attacking a gay reporter for no apparent reason that day. Just provoked by his sheer presence.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/01/andy-ngo-and-the-violence-of-political-correctness/

Ngo suffered bruises, cuts, he had his camera stolen and will continue to be hampered by a brain hemorrhage for a while. He got lucky, he could've been killed.

The mob mentality and cowardice displayed by these (mainly white) Americans is staggering.

And Portland, a city ruled by Democrats for the past 40 years, needs to be looking at its mayor Ted Wheeler and his influence on the local police force.

Serious questions asked about Oregon's governor, Kate Brown (D), as well.

Edited by MC Prussian

Random interwebs find:

"Whether it's talking about the Prince of 'Whales' or talking about airports during the Revolutionary War or talking about how the kidneys have a special place in the heart, EVERYTHING that Trump says like this is ON PURPOSE.

ON PURPOSE. ON PURPOSE. ON PURPOSE.

And when you laugh, when you assume he's just senile or stupid, you're giving him exactly what he wants. To further the divide, which has its foundations in anti-intellectualism. Every time those opposed to him laugh at it, it just reaffirms the 'latte-sipping liberal intellectual' stereotype that they LOVE to hate. Thinking that he's just stupid is why people underestimated him from the get-go. It's why far too many Americans thought he would never win. It's been his strategy from day one."

Personally, while I'm not sure that it is all calculated in this way as a bastion of anti-intellectualism, I'd certainly believe that some people around him are using it for exactly that purpose. Discuss.

Edited by leicsmac

19 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Random interwebs find:

"Whether it's talking about the Prince of 'Whales' or talking about airports during the Revolutionary War or talking about how the kidneys have a special place in the heart, EVERYTHING that Trump says like this is ON PURPOSE.

ON PURPOSE. ON PURPOSE. ON PURPOSE.

And when you laugh, when you assume he's just senile or stupid, you're giving him exactly what he wants. To further the divide, which has its foundations in anti-intellectualism. Every time those opposed to him laugh at it, it just reaffirms the 'latte-sipping liberal intellectual' stereotype that they LOVE to hate. Thinking that he's just stupid is why people underestimated him from the get-go. It's why far too many Americans thought he would never win. It's been his strategy from day one."

Personally, while I'm not sure that it is all calculated in this way as a bastion of anti-intellectualism, I'd certainly believe that some people around him are using it for exactly that purpose. Discuss.

I don’t think it is true that Trump has masterminded all this, but I do think that this effect is being driven by Trump supporting media. I’m in the states at the moment and fvck me Fox News is just insane. I think it was Tucker Carlson who just spends his entire time belittling everything any democrat says. Real reductive approach, sneering sarcasm just pumping out the Trump rhetoric. It makes the daily mail look balanced and considered. 

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I don’t think it is true that Trump has masterminded all this, but I do think that this effect is being driven by Trump supporting media. I’m in the states at the moment and fvck me Fox News is just insane. I think it was Tucker Carlson who just spends his entire time belittling everything any democrat says. Real reductive approach, sneering sarcasm just pumping out the Trump rhetoric. It makes the daily mail look balanced and considered. 

To be honest cnn, foxsnews they all need to get off the political circle jerk of us vs them. Just let the guy implode or heaven forbid do well (if thats possible). Most already know he is a willy puller but its just become so boring from all sides. Yawwwwwn lol

On 11/07/2019 at 17:02, leicsmac said:

Further:

66263719_1308353642655039_44087483627198

As far as we know today, the sex slave ring was started by Epstein in the early 2000s. By then Trump, with whom he used to be friends, had disavowed him, thrown him out of Mar Lago and given him a lifetime ban from using the premises any longer. According to Trump, they haven't been in touch for the better part of 15 years, and Trump so far has been the only person connected to Epstein willing to come forward, being cooperative with the authorities (at the time).

Bill Clinton, however, has allegedly used the Peado Plane Express numerous times, many of those flights without Secret Service on board...

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/epstein-sex-scandal-flight-logs-show-clinton-not-trump-more-likely-involved-3onx7WVPwkydxT8j--LwOw/

9 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

As far as we know today, the sex slave ring was started by Epstein in the early 2000s. By then Trump, with whom he used to be friends, had disavowed him, thrown him out of Mar Lago and given him a lifetime ban from using the premises any longer. According to Trump, they haven't been in touch for the better part of 15 years, and Trump so far has been the only person connected to Epstein willing to come forward, being cooperative with the authorities (at the time).

Bill Clinton, however, has allegedly used the Peado Plane Express numerous times, many of those flights without Secret Service on board...

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/epstein-sex-scandal-flight-logs-show-clinton-not-trump-more-likely-involved-3onx7WVPwkydxT8j--LwOw/

All of that may be true.

None of it changes what is in the last couple of paragraphs of the Tweet as it is above.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

All of that may be true.

None of it changes what is in the last couple of paragraphs of the Tweet as it is above.

I'm pretty sure that based on current evidence (flight logs), most of the dirt, if not all of it, is on Clinton (and others). Not Trump.

So that renders the paragraph a hypothetical scenario.

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I'm pretty sure that based on current evidence (flight logs), most of the dirt, if not all of it, is on Clinton (and others). Not Trump.

So that renders the paragraph a hypothetical scenario.

Hypothetical, but no less accurate - based on the reaction of Trumps base to various allegations made against him in the past.