Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
AjcW

Eddie Howe

Recommended Posts

Posted

I got a lot of stick on here for questioning the extent of Eddie Howe's ability, I got a similar level of stick from my friend today who is usually in complete agreement with me on all things Football.

 

But why?

 

If he was foreign and on the run of form he was on at present the media would be ripping into him, tearing him to shreds, calling him a fraud etc etc the usual stuff.

 

His team can not defend and i'm told this is at the expense of his expansive football, but i've seen teams play that well and still have the ability to defend.

 

Now of course what he has done to take Bournemouth from where they were to where they are is fantastic..... but something similar happened to Blackpool not too long ago and we all know what's happened there.

 

I was criticised for questioning his sabbatical from Bournemouth to Burnley (I wasn't aware he was forced to resign because of the death of his mother... but even so the end of season form he had at Burnley was shocking and again contained defensive flaws).

 

With regards to transfers, at Burnley he secured the loans of one or two of the players they now own permanently and are doing well for them.

 

At Bournemouth he has sanctioned the signings of Mings and Ibe, two of the worst footballers in the League at present.

 

I ask all this as I honestly don't understand the hype, he talks a good game and for me that's exactly what brings about comparisons with Brendan Rodgers, what if anything has proven that he isn't just Brendan MK2?

 

And all this talk of him being a successor to Wenger? Pull the other one lads!! Utterly ridiculous.

 

To summarise i'm not doubting he has done well to get Bournemouth to where they are today, but i'm left questioning why when they lose a game (or lots of games by big margins as they are at present) why is he not held to account in the same way that the Middlesborough manager is, or Martinez was at Everton or indeed Marco Silva would have been if he hadn't started well at Hull.

 

As a nation we are desperate not to question anyone remotely English and with potential... just look at the reaction to Dele Alli's red card midweek, the bloke should be banned for the rest of the season, but instead he gets "ooooh yes he has a nasty streak but we must not take that away from him"

 

Thoughts? The jury is out on him for me, and to be honest if we pick up a couple of points there's every chance they become relegation candidates.

Posted

seems to care more about style than getting points, reason why his team are dropping down the table. I wouldn't mind him in the summer, where we could indulge his fantasy but atm we need a manager who is going to get us the 3 points. 

Guest Sharpe's Fox
Posted

ugh no what a wet wipe. Bet he votes Tory n'all

Posted

Speaks well, young manager, English, has taken a team up through the divisions so will always be given a better deal than foreign managers. 

 

I think Dyche is a better all-round manager despite playing less attractive football. He isn't a bad manager but certainly not Arsenal level.

Posted

shite manager, spent ridiculous amounts on shiter than shite players. looks like a child and imho is deffo a bellend. 

 

looks like he was the posh kid at school whos dad gave him money to buy everyone's beers cos he knew his kid was a bellend. 

Posted

He's certainly a breath of fresh air for this level, and gives young coaches in lower divisions (like Cowley at Lincoln) the desire to carry on improving themselves and seeing how far they actually can go.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

He's certainly a breath of fresh air for this level, and gives young coaches in lower divisions (like Cowley at Lincoln) the desire to carry on improving themselves and seeing how far they actually can go.

Sorry for picking on you to quote but I guess my question is why is he a breath of fresh air? What is he doing currently that suggests he's the next great thing?

 

If anything the most promising British coach right now who could go on to be England manager is Paul Clement. 

Posted
Just now, AjcW said:

Sorry for picking on you to quote but I guess my question is why is he a breath of fresh air? What is he doing currently that suggests he's the next great thing?

 

If anything the most promising British coach right now who could go on to be England manager is Paul Clement. 

I would think many Bournemouth fans seasons ago (in particular when they were struggling in League 2, or whatever it was called back then, with minus-x points) would've snapped your hands off if you suggested to them Howe would take them to the highest league of English football within several or so seasons.

Haven't done any research to back up my point here but I cannot remember many football managers (apart from Graham Taylor of course) taking a club from the 4th-highest to the top divisions within the amount of seasons Howe had done it with Bournemouth. 

 

Quite remarkable, but just staying up in the PL last season was even more momentous given their debut season in the league, their stadia and lower budget compared to the more established sides.

 

Only pitfall I see in Howe is that recruitment this term has been like Burnley's - buying average players for a sum they shouldn't have paid for a particular player, for instance Benik Afobe. And players like him not making the fee justifiable in rarely scoring and causing frustration.

Posted
1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I would think many Bournemouth fans seasons ago (in particular when they were struggling in League 2, or whatever it was called back then, with minus-x points) would've snapped your hands off if you suggested to them Howe would take them to the highest league of English football within several or so seasons.

Haven't done any research to back up my point here but I cannot remember many football managers (apart from Graham Taylor of course) taking a club from the 4th-highest to the top divisions within the amount of seasons Howe had done it with Bournemouth. 

 

Quite remarkable, but just staying up in the PL last season was even more momentous given their debut season in the league, their stadia and lower budget compared to the more established sides.

 

Only pitfall I see in Howe is that recruitment this term has been like Burnley's - buying average players for a sum they shouldn't have paid for a particular player, for instance Benik Afobe. And players like him not making the fee justifiable in rarely scoring and causing frustration.

Fair enough and the rise up the league is something that you can't take away from him. But the way things are right now it smacks of the Blackpool story, all out attack that eventually leads to falling right back where they came from. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I would think many Bournemouth fans seasons ago (in particular when they were struggling in League 2, or whatever it was called back then, with minus-x points) would've snapped your hands off if you suggested to them Howe would take them to the highest league of English football within several or so seasons.

Haven't done any research to back up my point here but I cannot remember many football managers (apart from Graham Taylor of course) taking a club from the 4th-highest to the top divisions within the amount of seasons Howe had done it with Bournemouth. 

 

Quite remarkable, but just staying up in the PL last season was even more momentous given their debut season in the league, their stadia and lower budget compared to the more established sides.

 

Only pitfall I see in Howe is that recruitment this term has been like Burnley's - buying average players for a sum they shouldn't have paid for a particular player, for instance Benik Afobe. And players like him not making the fee justifiable in rarely scoring and causing frustration.

Lower budget? He spent £37 million last season and £27 million this season.

 

Thats a total of £64 million in 2 years.

 

 

 

Posted
1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

He's overachieved with Bournemouth and probably taken them as far as he can.

I think that's true in this case. It's about the peak of Bournemouth. Therefore I can't fathom why they don't prioritise the cups more or expand the stadium leaving a proper legacy.

Posted
11 hours ago, Goober said:

I was wondering today, is he even better than Dyche? I think Howe is one of the best English coaches about in fairness but he's probably not ready for a 'big' job yet 

That does not describe us.

Posted

I like his footballing philosophy in general so am a fan of his. I like his style but his ability to pick up decent players in questionable. It's a real confusing one because I love his attacking high pressing football, but who on earth signs Jordan Ibe having seen him play football?

Posted

I doubt it given he never gets any praise and is viewed as a dinosaur whilst every foreigner is worshipped like a God.

 

Have the FA even heard of him?

Posted
11 hours ago, filbertway said:

I like his footballing philosophy in general so am a fan of his. I like his style but his ability to pick up decent players in questionable. It's a real confusing one because I love his attacking high pressing football, but who on earth signs Jordan Ibe having seen him play football?

 

He's managing Bournemouth mind... so their's a limit to the range of player you can attract.

 

it means sometimes you have to take a punt on a player who has raw attributes that you hope you can coach to better things.

Guest FriendlyRam
Posted

We had Jordon Ibe on loan in the 2014-15 season.. he had pace and.... nothing else. Ince is a better player and even he's Championship standard at best. 

 

Jordon Ibe > Jonny Russell... lots of running and effort... but no end product. And we're chocked full of them in our team :( 

Posted
23 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Dychinho is nailed-on England gaffer in the making.

I was saying exactly the same about Paul Clement if he carries on doing well with Swansea. 

Posted
On 27/02/2017 at 15:42, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Nope, he's absolute quality. Don't understand why people think he is a willy puller either. The stick he's getting in this thread is unfair, I'd be well happy to see him come here.

As the person who started this thread, i've never subscribed to the shit he gets for being well spoken, that's just idiot working class football fan mentality, the same way footballers misses get stick when they speak about their husbands, sexist & classist is very much a trait. 

 

I do however think he has a lot to prove before he can be called "Quality"

 

I'd be really happy if he did turn out to be quality by the way, i'm certainly not one of these people who just wants him to do badly because of the hype, i'm just interested to see how he deals with the patch they're in right now.

Posted
21 minutes ago, AjcW said:

As the person who started this thread, i've never subscribed to the shit he gets for being well spoken, that's just idiot working class football fan mentality, the same way footballers misses get stick when they speak about their husbands, sexist & classist is very much a trait. 

 

I do however think he has a lot to prove before he can be called "Quality"

 

I'd be really happy if he did turn out to be quality by the way, i'm certainly not one of these people who just wants him to do badly because of the hype, i'm just interested to see how he deals with the patch they're in right now.

I think that's it, if he had an east end cockney boy accent or was a scouser he'd be more liked.

 

I think he'll get Bournemouth out of it, seem to remember they were being sucked into it last season after Wilson got injured and they pulled through, they'll always create chances which is important

Posted
On 2/25/2017 at 23:43, Goober said:

I was wondering today, is he even better than Dyche? I think Howe is one of the best English coaches about in fairness but he's probably not ready for a 'big' job yet 

Howe is NOT fit to lace Dyche's boots......Howe's teams may play prettier football but Bournemouth are only in the PL because of their Russian billionaire.

 

Howe had more money to spend on players (Charlie Austin, Danny Ings, Kieran Trippier,  Ben Mee, Jason Shackell, Sam Vokes) than Dyche who got Burnley up on a shoestring budget with FREEBIES Tom Heaton, Dave Jones and Scott Arfield.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...