Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Olympic Stadium

Hated it. 

Not bad as an arena but is not a football ground. I was in top tier and seems hell of a long way from the pitch.

Strange gaps between fans too, just very odd. 

I'd hate to have that as our stadium. 

Before the game I went to where the old ground is. One stand still up. 

That was a much better ground for atmosphere and not a bad away end either 

5 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

Wasn't Leyton orient wanting to move in to the Olympic stadium originally? That really would be empty then.

Think Upton Park is being destroyed now isn't it? No chance they can move back :( 

Yeah Orient tried, even though it was closest it would have been joke I mean there attendances are only around like 5,000 or something. Imagine now potiental they could have been in a big stadium like that playing national league football!

Btw the Leyton Orient programme was poor £1 for a pamphlet.

West Ham could have done a spurs and just build on the land.

13 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

Wasn't Leyton orient wanting to move in to the Olympic stadium originally? That really would be empty then.

Think Upton Park is being destroyed now isn't it? No chance they can move back :( 

Yeah but Orient's proposal was to for it to be a 20,000/25,000 capacity whilst retaining the athletics track. Orient even considered taking the main hockey stadium on the site. 

Its poorly designed without a shadow. When heading to the away end, the queues at the nearest turnstile physically stopped you from getting to the away end. Add to that it was miles away from the game. Having been Rome's Olympic stadium, the track does make you a fair distance away but the rake of the stands is a lot steeper. 

The organisation there is a mess as well. I asked someone outside Stratford station, which direction is best for the away end. Answer? I don't know. 

After the game we went to a local brewery and then jumped on the overground. Well worth doing given what I've been told. 

It had the feel of a pre season friendly yesterday. The crowd noticeably got going once but it was an 'Ironnnns'. Other than bubbles I don't think there was another sustained chant.

15 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Yeah Orient tried, even though it was closest it would have been joke I mean there attendances are only around like 5,000 or something. Imagine now potiental they could have been in a big stadium like that playing national league football!

Btw the Leyton Orient programme was poor £1 for a pamphlet.

West Ham could have done a spurs and just build on the land.

Well if Orient got one of the stadiums on the Olympic site, Barry Hearn would have stayed as chairmen and made a fortune selling Brisbane Road to housing. 

So its unlikely they'd have Italian owners running them down. As it stands, I still think brisbane road will be sold and Orient could find themselves sharing somewhere. 

53 minutes ago, surrifox said:

The attendance (according to the ST today) was just under 57000 - that must have been a misprint surely ?

My mistake, I put the same figure in twice, should have read just under 57.000...thanks for pointing it out

2 hours ago, crisp packet said:

As an athletic stadium it is awesome.

Blame West Ham for doing it on the cheap.

Man city's Etihad stadium was also an athletics  stadium, granted they didn't have to keep it as a duel purpose stadium but if spurs can have rotation pitches etc surely  you could have had roating seats etc .. 

Souless as a football ground just no atmosphere and too far from the pitch.

West Ham didn't do anything on the cheap. They are merely a tenant at the stadium, If anything the conversion from the venue that hosted the 2012 Olympics to the stadium you see today was far from "on the cheap" - they (we) spent a bloody fortune on it!

I went yesterday and absolutely hated the stadium. It looks very nice but certainly not a football stadium. Empty seats everywhere and no atmosphere what so ever.

I Couldnt go there every week, the tight bastards didnt even give me a complimentary pair of binoculars with my programme.

Upton park to that is awful!

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Lovely stadium, but it's not a footballing Stadium. Stands are too far away from.the pitch and there's a ridiculous gap between lower and upper tiers. 

You're aware why the gap is huge from lower to upper tier I'd imagine, seats behind seats. lol

A temporary stand built out of scaffolding at both ends.

I thought for a football club it was totally wrong, from the concourse onwards, on a windy rainy day you would get soaked in there with the gaps in the roof, tiny toilets as well, it's like it was built on the cheap for the Olympics when it wasn't.

Disjointed away end made for very little noise, on the lower tier we could hardly hear the upper tier, plus the roof is too far away meaning the sound just disappears, and again most of the lower tier would be soaked on a rainy day.

I would be livid if I was a hammers fan and that was the new home, no atmosphere at all, also why was there so many seats in the home end covered over at the top?

Add in the fact Stratford station is a long walk away, just pop up food and beer stalls around the ground.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, promised land said:

You're aware why the gap is huge from lower to upper tier I'd imagine, seats behind seats. lol

A stand and built out of scaffolding at both ends.

I thought for a football club it was totally wrong, from the concourse onwards, on a windy rainy day you would get soaked in there with the gaps in the roof, tiny toilets as well, it's like it was built on the cheap for the Olympics when it wasn't.

Disjointed away end made for very little noise, on the lower tier we could hardly hear the upper tier, plus the roof is too far away meaning the sound just disappears, and again most of the lower tier would be soaked on a rainy day.

I would be livid if I was a hammers fan and that was the new home, no atmosphere at all, also why was there so many seats in the home end covered over at the top?

Add in the fact Stratford station is a long walk away, just pop up food and beer stalls around the ground.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks awful, robbed a very good club of its identity in my opinion 

Just now, promised land said:

A stand and built out of scaffolding at both ends.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am aware yes why couldn't they use the normal seating though? West Ham friends I was with yesterday agree too. 

Anyone notice the few hundred West Ham fans what just stood underneath the scoreboard at the opposite end? 

You could always that West Ham would upset a few top clubs at Upton Park. This season they have been walloped by all of the top clubs who've played there.

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Anyone notice the few hundred West Ham fans what just stood underneath the scoreboard at the opposite end? 

You could always that West Ham would upset a few top clubs at Upton Park. This season they have been walloped by all of the top clubs who've played there.

It is a brilliant venue for any away club... 

West Ham are not a big club. 60k stadiums should only be for the top 6/7 clubs. West Ham are miles away from there. At best West Ham are a mid table club. When the novelty wears off there will be thousands of empty seats next season and onwards.

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I am aware yes why couldn't they use the normal seating though? West Ham friends I was with yesterday agree too. 

Would it be because they'd be even further away? Only reason I can think off but the top tier is still in the same position, I knew both ends had temporary stands but I'm not sure if the main stand with the dug ours isn't temporary lower tier as well, as that looked disjointed like the ends too, whereas the other side was just a normal two tier job.

Either way they got it on the cheap, jumped in and now have an athletics ground to play football in. Reminded me of the Don Valley stadium stood there yesterday.

1 minute ago, Koke said:

West Ham are not a big club. 60k stadiums should only be for the top 6/7 clubs. West Ham are miles away from there. At best West Ham are a mid table club. When the novelty wears off there will be thousands of empty seats next season and onwards.

It isn't the capacity it is the distance really, I haven't been there but seeing it on tv it felt like playing at a neutral venue, which was of course great for us... the crowd is the 12th man, but I didn't feel that 

2 minutes ago, promised land said:

Would it be because they'd be even further away? Only reason I can think off but the top tier is still in the same position, I knew both ends had temporary stands but I'm not sure if the main stand with the dug ours isn't temporary lower tier as well, as that looked disjointed like the ends too, whereas the other side was just a normal two tier job.

Either way they got it on the cheap, jumped in and now have an athletics ground to play football in. Reminded me of the Don Valley stadium stood there yesterday.

Agreed for what it is they got it super cheap.. just look how much the emirates cost for example 

2 hours ago, crisp packet said:

As an athletic stadium it is awesome.

Blame West Ham for doing it on the cheap.

Man city's Etihad stadium was also an athletics  stadium, granted they didn't have to keep it as a duel purpose stadium

The Etihad was built very well, they had one separate stand at the end for the commonwealth games, and the lower tier was dug out after the games when they knocked down that end stand and joined the ground up and built the tier below ground level.

Very clever way they built it and got the fans near the pitch, London stadium was almost a white elephant, didn't Spurs want to flatten it and totally rebuild it if they got it? 

IMO, it should've been kept for athletics events, who knows what could've been held there in years to come, yes they still can convert it back but at a cost every time they host one there.

9 minutes ago, promised land said:

Good comparison to Don Valley. One of my friends mentioned West Ham own some considerable lad in East London was an old supermarket(I think) he would like them to move there.

14 minutes ago, Koke said:

They aren't a massive massive club but they've got a big fan base. Agree with the latter though.

It was a very odd experience.  

It felt like it would be a really nice day out for a tourist who had never been to a football match, and would never go to one again.  The signage was good, the stewards outside were friendly and got everyone back to public transport safely.  There was a nice shopping centre nearby with two huge food courts with plenty of choice.  There was a big screen and the announcer spoke clearly.  It was easy to get a snack.

It didn't work for football though.  I felt like I needed to catch a shuttle bus from my seat to get close enough to the pitch to see, the sound drifted pointlessly away so even those groups of West Ham fans who had a go at singing were doing so for their benefit rather than ours.  The white seats show up horribly when people walk out after an hour.  Half an hour before kick off and the loos were a disgrace.

The guy who was wearing half the club shop (two for a fiver) was fun to watch though.  Not as fun as the new year's fat tangerine, but the game was better yesterday.

Archived