Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Olympic Stadium

I thought it was a weird experience yesterday. Aside from the obvious issue of being very far from the pitch the two tier design really kills the atmosphere. Having said that, at times the noise levels inside the stadium weren't too bad.

The biggest issue in my opinion is with it being a bowl it was really hard to determine where sounds were coming from and I can imagine that being very frustrating as a home fan as no one can really take the lead in terms of getting an atmosphere going.

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

200? Is that how much they are! wow 

Apparently it's part of the deal for them getting the stadium on the cheap/tax payers expense? And it's this season only £200.

i may be wrong so if someone wants to correct me or come up with the whole story feel free

1 hour ago, promised land said:

You're aware why the gap is huge from lower to upper tier I'd imagine, seats behind seats. lol

A temporary stand built out of scaffolding at both ends.

I thought for a football club it was totally wrong, from the concourse onwards, on a windy rainy day you would get soaked in there with the gaps in the roof, tiny toilets as well, it's like it was built on the cheap for the Olympics when it wasn't.

Disjointed away end made for very little noise, on the lower tier we could hardly hear the upper tier, plus the roof is too far away meaning the sound just disappears, and again most of the lower tier would be soaked on a rainy day.

I would be livid if I was a hammers fan and that was the new home, no atmosphere at all, also why was there so many seats in the home end covered over at the top?

Add in the fact Stratford station is a long walk away, just pop up food and beer stalls around the ground.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They look like Subbuteo stands.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

For those of us that went, what was the general thought of it then?

I didn't support the move but after seeing it on the tv I thought it might be ok but I was wrong. Very very poor.... In the concourse I thought I was at a gig not a football match lol ... The pitch is just too far away as well. No atmosphere at all. 

I'd be absolutely gutted if Leicester did something like that.

Give me Upton Park every day of the week. A proper ground and a good away day.

Not in a rush to go back.

Posters on kneesupmotherbrown claiming it was a great atmosphere and better than some games at the BG. I find that hard to believe not that i was at the game.

Can only agree with most on here. It's an impressive bit of architecture but not suitable for football. 

We were in the lower tier but even then it felt like we were miles from the pitch. The huge gap in the away end made it very difficult to get anything going.

The biggest problem for the West Ham fans seemed to be that with an open plan and a very high roof, any noise that is generated just seems to disappear.

The atmosphere at Upton Park was better - although in my experience, it was never as good as some people now claim.

I don't think being far from the pitch is as bad as people make out. Yes it's not compact but not so far that you can't see. Almost like Wembley. Seats are very spacious too. Having said that I wasn't sitting in the first few rows at the bottom so wouldn't know the perspective from being that low. 

In terms of atmosphere, it has potential for a big game. When they do their bubbles song it sounded good. But by no means is it an intimading place like Upton Park! There were also large periods of pure silence. U could hear the players shout, it was that quiet! 

Also walking to the ground was an absolute pain in the arse the way they make you go all the way round! I guess they can't do much about that, just the way the Olympic Park was built. Although it is a nice place to hang around the Westfield shopping centre etc

So all in all, a nice facility but probably not the greatest for regular football. And not West Ham.

Occassional England friendlies/FA Cup semi final sort of things wouldn't be half bad

Why are West Ham "struggling" because of the move to the Olympic Stadium? Surely it's no different for the opposing team? 

Just an excuse for them after a poor start.

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

Why are West Ham "struggling" because of the move to the Olympic Stadium? Surely it's no different for the opposing team? 

Just an excuse for them after a poor start.

Well it loses the 12th man the crowd, so I think they would have done better at Upton Park for sure... 

3 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I've heard even more rumours in the near future it could be a possible venue for twenty/twenty cricket!? 

Seems more suited to that to be fair. The way the stadium is rounded.

Although trying to accomodate both a football and cricket pitch on the same turf would be hard work between games I'd imagine as they are completely different. Not as straightforward as groundsharing rugby and football for example.

4 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I've heard even more rumours in the near future it could be a possible venue for twenty/twenty cricket!? 

It could be a lot worse I suppose, the Yankee stadium in New York has also hosted American football as well as New York Cities home games.

Now that is a long way from the pitch in places.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

53 minutes ago, TK95 said:

I don't think being far from the pitch is as bad as people make out. Yes it's not compact but not so far that you can't see. Almost like Wembley. Seats are very spacious too. Having said that I wasn't sitting in the first few rows at the bottom so wouldn't know the perspective from being that low. 

In terms of atmosphere, it has potential for a big game. When they do their bubbles song it sounded good. But by no means is it an intimading place like Upton Park! There were also large periods of pure silence. U could hear the players shout, it was that quiet! 

Also walking to the ground was an absolute pain in the arse the way they make you go all the way round! I guess they can't do much about that, just the way the Olympic Park was built. Although it is a nice place to hang around the Westfield shopping centre etc

So all in all, a nice facility but probably not the greatest for regular football. And not West Ham.

Occassional England friendlies/FA Cup semi final sort of things wouldn't be half bad

But it won't give them any advantage in home games which our vital at this level. 

52 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Seems more suited to that to be fair. The way the stadium is rounded.

Although trying to accomodate both a football and cricket pitch on the same turf would be hard work between games I'd imagine as they are completely different. Not as straightforward as groundsharing rugby and football for example.

You have what's called a drop in wicket; plenty of stadiums do it in Australia and New Zealand (the Westpac in Wellington is an example of getting a multi purpose stadium right) and it would be played mid-summer. Plans to host MLB baseball there too.

Just strikes me as a long-term business corporate deal, rather than a general football stadium that is purpose-built for the potential of having a strong football atmosphere etc.

Liverpool have expanded their ground, but some of their fans don't believe it has enhanced the atmosphere there. Feels as if Liverpool's (alongside the London Stadium) is more like a corporate deal for £££ than the aim to make the ground more intimidating imo.

1 hour ago, promised land said:

It could be a lot worse I suppose, the Yankee stadium in New York has also hosted American football as well as New York Cities home games.

Now that is a long way from the pitch in places.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

At least the structure of that one is quite interesting and unique. Nothing worse than a symmetrical bowl.

Any comparisons to American sport are pretty pointless, the two nations support teams in very different ways.

Personally I'm glad it's all gone tits up for the move. I've never liked West Ham, and the money grubbing and under-cutting that went into getting them into this stadium just compounded it. I hope they have a miserable tenure in the stadium and eventually get relegated. And I also hope that Andy Carrol stays there forever, barely scoring and drawing a gigantic wage.

Thought it was horrible.No atmosphere, I think if this was at the Boleyn those last 10 minutes we would have probably folded with a descent atmosphere.i was standing in the top tier 3/4 back on the end of the row next to the WHU fans and they weren't as frosty as I thought either.Although some 12 year olds wanted to offer anyone a fight outside,a bloke a few rows down made me laugh,he said" ok,near the swings and slides"

Bloke from my village was on the train WH season ticket holder and he detests it.

Archived