Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Olympic Stadium

For those of us that went, what was the general thought of it then?

I didn't support the move but after seeing it on the tv I thought it might be ok but I was wrong. Very very poor.... In the concourse I thought I was at a gig not a football match lol ... The pitch is just too far away as well. No atmosphere at all. 

I'd be absolutely gutted if Leicester did something like that.

Give me Upton Park every day of the week. A proper ground and a good away day.

Not in a rush to go back.

On paper it was a great move for West Ham to make; in the real world it could well end up crippling their club. They sold a lot of ST's but they were heavily incentivised; can't see those numbers being sustained over the next 10 years, which could lead to a lot of trouble for them

As an athletic stadium it is awesome.

Blame West Ham for doing it on the cheap.

Man city's Etihad stadium was also an athletics  stadium, granted they didn't have to keep it as a duel purpose stadium but if spurs can have rotation pitches etc surely  you could have had roating seats etc .. 

Souless as a football ground just no atmosphere and too far from the pitch.

Just now, Melbourne Fuchs said:

Mentioned it in the 'do they mean us?' thread but this is something mildly amusing I saw on a West Ham forum after our win against them.

"They still haven't won away from home. They won at a neutral venue yesterday"

I like it lol but even on tele that is the truth, it is a neutral venue, teams like going there 

It's an atrocious place to watch a football match.

I have had loads of West Ham fans on twitter message me after I said I felt sorry for them having to call that their home. Congrats to their owners, you got a free home that is hands down the worst football ground I have ever had the pleasure of watching a match at.

Ive been to the stadium in Kiev which also has a running track around and that is so much better. No strange gaps between sections of fans, at some sections of the ground you aren't in a different post code to the players and the stadium wasn't full of people who have paid about £200 for a season ticket therefore return on about 60 minutes to watch the match after having a lovely time in the concorse at HT. Incredible.

From  a 39,000 capacity traditional football ground with atmosphere to a cheapo rent Olympic Stadium that had a crowd of just under 57,000 yesterday that took away the very important element of the Home Fans atmosphere. I've not been to the new stadium but the fans look too far away from the pitch but I guess Gold Sullivan and Brady will leave it as it is and carry on crying all the way to the bank.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's the worst stadium in the Premier League if you are a football fan. Poor atmosphere due to the stands being so far from the pitch. Not surprised the fans hate it as I'd go as far as saying it's a step down from the Boelyn.

Fixed.

Didn't go yesterday, wanted to but didn't get there, I want to go in the future just to see what it's like and say I've been, it looks a beautiful stadium but it's not a football stadium I'm quite confident in saying that without even going!

36 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

From  a 39,000 capacity traditional football ground with atmosphere to a cheapo rent Olympic Stadium that had a crowd of 39,000+ yesterday that took away the very important element of the Home Fans atmosphere. I've not been to the new stadium but the fans look too far away from the pitch but I guess Gold Sullivan and Brady will leave it as it is and carry on crying all the way to the bank.

The attendance (according to the ST today) was just under 57000 - that must have been a misprint surely ?

1 minute ago, surrifox said:

The attendance (according to the ST today) was just under 57000 - that must have been a misprint surely ?

They've got about 52,000 season ticket holders.

West Ham's fan base is massive and a move from Upton Park probably was needed... but not to this place.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

West Ham's fan base is massive and a move from Upton Park probably was needed... but not to this place.

They needed a stadium of there own rather than one that was original build for something else. Upton Park was always an intimidating place to go, Olympic Park didn't it felt too much of a tourist attraction place. I noticed quite a few Doncaster Rovers fans roaming around. 

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They tried to move to a big ground on the cheap and it isn't working and will never work unless changes are made to the stadium which they can't make, it is a beautiful ground but like most say it isn't for football 

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

They needed a stadium of there own rather than one that was original build for something else. Upton Park was always an intimidating place to go, Olympic Park didn't it felt too much of a tourist attraction place. I noticed quite a few Doncaster Rovers fans roaming around. 

Doncaster Rovers were away at Leyton Orient. Saw them at the station.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Doncaster Rovers were away at Leyton Orient. Saw them at the station.

Yeah actually I arrived in at Olympic Park early than expected and pre match I popped down the road to Orient's ground. Nice area actually and one or two decent pubs.

Archived