Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Don’t think Watford have played too bad after the stupid goal. 

Yes - we actually had some chances for once in an away game but didn't take them and laid the goals to Ali/Kane on a plate .

In reality once again the good start has saved us !

Might not be so lucky next season ..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wookie said:

Teams like us and Watford show how poor the league is, there's loads of teams worse than us and we're ****ing washbins

I don't understand statements like this. We're not a poor team, we've had some good performances this season and several players playing in their national teams/going to the world cup.

How is that poor, just because we're in bad form or playing uninspiring football currently?

We're superior to the team from three years ago and the decade before that and we're pretty much at the level that most midtable Prem teams tend to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shen said:

I don't understand statements like this. We're not a poor team, we've had some good performances this season and several players playing in their national teams/going to the world cup.

How is that poor, just because we're in bad form or playing uninspiring football currently?

We're superior to the team from three years ago and the decade before that and we're pretty much at the level that most midtable Prem teams tend to be.

I did wonder this, if perhaps mid/bottom half table teams are always this bad it's just we've not focussed on them for about 25 years cos we haven't been involved. but some of the stats and performances and runs of form this season are surely beyond the norm.

burnley went almost 4 months without a win and moved from 7th to 7th and if anything got even closer to 6th.

palace didn't score a goal until about November and are one result away from finishing in the top half.

Huddersfield and Swansea have both scored 27 goals all season and are both odds on to stay up.

arsenal, yes even arsenal, have not won a point away from home for 5 months.

and presuming arsenal turn it on for wenger's last home game against burnley, the whole bottom 14 will finish with a negative goal difference. 

we, along with pretty much everyone apart from the top 4, are absolute dross if you actually think about it. and that's not even involving watching how boring most this league is. viva le relegation imho. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shen said:

We’ve won 4 times in almost half a season’s worth of games. We’ve lost more than we’ve won so we’re not really a good team.

2 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We’ve won 4 times in almost half a season’s worth of games. We’ve lost more than we’ve won so we’re not really a good team.

I'd say we're a pretty good team that's been organised horribly, to be honest. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

I'd say we're a pretty good team that's been organised horribly, to be honest. 

We’ve been mediocre for 3 out of 4 seasons in the top flight. We’ve got two players that in all honesty are too go for us, a few others that are decent but mostly we have an average squad.

56 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We’ve been mediocre for 3 out of 4 seasons in the top flight. We’ve got two players that in all honesty are too go for us, a few others that are decent but mostly we have an average squad.

Ah so now you've gone from "poor" and "f***cking washbins" to "not really a good team" to "mediocre" and "average".

These are not synonymous to me :dunno:

Yeah, overall you could say the gap between the top 6 to the rest is slightly bigger than usual, but on average you'd probably not expect the team in 9th to have more than 45-46 points at this stage.

We weren't much better in the MON days results-wise, which for the vast majority of Leicester fans on here symbolises the most successful era pre-2016.

Would you say our club and the league was poor then too? After all, we fell at the first hurdle twice the times we played in Europe, which by your standards would suggest we were a bit shit :ph34r:;)

Edited by shen

45 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Mahrez and Vardy?

I'd add N'didi and Maguire to them.

A number of players have failed to live up to their hype too, e.g Silva, Iheanacho etc 

On paper I don't think we are that bad. We just invested poorly and a few signings have just flopped!

I would still consider us to have the 8th best squad, just behind a failing Everton. 

In terms of where we were before our miracle season, I think our "squad ranking" is realistically the best we could have hoped for. I know people, myself included, believe we missed a huge chance to break the top 6 by bringing in a higher calibre of player, but even if we had invested more wisely, that was always going to be a near impossible task. I didn't think we would mess it up this badly, but hey ho, we did and now we just have to try remedy it.

Job now is to clear some deadwood, invest better this summer and try to leapfrog Everton (on paper!) and even start pushing the top 6. Easier said than done of course, but surely the management can see that we are not going to achieve our targets next season, with players like Wes, Simpson and Albrighton starting! 

34 minutes ago, shen said:

Ah so now you've gone from "poor" and "f***cking washbins" to "not really a good team" to "mediocre" and "average".

These are not synonymous to me :dunno:

Yeah, overall you could say the gap between the top 6 to the rest is slightly bigger than usual, but on average you'd probably not expect the team in 9th to have more than 45-46 points at this stage.

We weren't much better in the MON days results-wise, which for the vast majority of Leicester fans on here symbolises the most successful era pre-2016.

Would you say our club and the league was poor then too? After all, we fell at the first hurdle twice the times we played in Europe, which by your standards would suggest we were a bit shit :ph34r:;)

I probably over-exaggerated how poor we are but we're still not a good team unfortunately. In regards to O'Neill's era we probably weren't very good individually but we had a squad with players willing to run themselves into the ground and maximised our strengths in areas like set pieces. Expectations back then were different too, then our fanbase were happy with top 10 finishes but now everything thing is viewed from a title winning lens despite it being a complete one off.

45 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Mahrez and Vardy?

I'd add N'didi and Maguire to them.

A number of players have failed to live up to their hype too, e.g Silva, Iheanacho etc 

On paper I don't think we are that bad. We just invested poorly and a few signings have just flopped!

I would still consider us to have the 8th best squad, just behind a failing Everton. 

In terms of where we were before our miracle season, I think our "squad ranking" is realistically the best we could have hoped for. I know people, myself included, believe we missed a huge chance to break the top 6 by bringing in a higher calibre of player, but even if we had invested more wisely, that was always going to be a near impossible task. I didn't think we would mess it up this badly, but hey ho, we did and now we just have to try remedy it.

Job now is to clear some deadwood, invest better this summer and try to leapfrog Everton (on paper!) and even start pushing the top 6. Easier said than done of course, but surely the management can see that we are not going to achieve our targets next season, with players like Wes, Simpson and Albrighton starting! 

Maguire and Ndidi aren't close to Vardy and Mahrez unfortunately. Maguire's defensive errors go unnoticed because he's good on the ball and Ndidi is the opposite.

Edited by Wookie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Maguire and N'Didi aren't close to Vardy and Mahrez unfortunately. Maguire's defensive errors go unnoticed because he's good on the ball and N'Didi is the opposite.

Maguire at 23, I think will become a top defender. Already in the England squad and links to bigger clubs. Think he is guilty of trying a bit too much for us, but certainly has a very bright future ahead. 

Agree to disagree on N'didi. His stats are some of the best in the league and he is consistently better than Mahrez in my opinion, as Mahrez is always blowing hot and cold. I'd put him on a similar level to Vardy for how influential he is for us. 

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Maguire at 23, I think will become a top defender. Already in the England squad and links to bigger clubs. Think he is guilty of trying a bit too much for us, but certainly has a very bright future ahead. 

Agree to disagree on N'didi. His stats are some of the best in the league and he is consistently better than Mahrez in my opinion, as Mahrez is always blowing hot and cold. I'd put him on a similar level to Vardy for how influential he is for us. 

Maguire is 25.

I guess we'll have to on Ndidi, I thought he played better in 16/17 than he has in 17/18.