Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

10 minutes ago, FIF said:

Even if we care about FPP there are so many ways around it. The owners can easily manipulate income through their duty free company if they want.

Sorry I don't see it that way.

We got all the players we wanted that wanted to come to us last year and the year before and the year before. £2m for a position will make no difference.

It's true there are ways around it - most clubs use amortisation, but our owners have given absolutely no indication of even wanting to invest in the playing squad out of their own pockets, I just don't see it happening. Doing an Everton is a risk I don't think they're willing to take when hundreds of millions is at risk. They might well be paying for the new training ground and stadium expansion themselves though, since those costs don't count towards the FFP limit. The result would in effect be the same, LCFC ends up with more money than they otherwise would have.

We operated a profit for both of those years, and we failed to strengthen in all key areas. We're now looking at ~£20m for Dragovic, £25m for Pereira, possibly another CB (maybe bring in a youth player instead) and another LB (if Fuchs goes), another RW and maybe a creative midfielder and second goalkeeper, a new striker if we get rid of Slimani and Ulloa. It's going to be an expensive summer. All the money the club can make will help. Club might be thinking that outgoing player fees will recoup much of the cost of incomings, but it's no guarantee.

In the grand scheme, £4m won't make much of a difference, but it could pay for a first team player's wages entirely (around £75k/week).

Edited by Beechey

One of Pearson's tactics in keeping players happy was supplementing the wages with an agreed bonus dependent on finishing position. 

So every position there was a £x addition to the bonus pool. The pool is then shared pro-rata on appearances/minutes of each player. Hence the players in the Great Escape season were revved up to beat QPR by as many goals possible on the last day. 

I wonder whether we've stepped away from that now with larger weekly wages. 

• Like 1

New Arsenal manager restricted to £50m summer transfer budget

Arsène Wenger’s successor as Arsenal manager will have to work with a restricted summer budget of around £50 million following two club-record transfers and three major new contracts in the last 12 months.

Unlike new managers over recent seasons at the two Manchester clubs, Arsenal’s new appointment will not be able to transform the squad with a large spending spree without first making big-money sales himself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/23/new-arsenal-manager-restricted-50m-summer-transfer-budget/

I love this lol

Edited by Beechey

I'd love to see what modern era plastics look like when a club goes into ruin. Leeds you feel maintained a lot of their support having once been a U.K. giant. Wonder what would happen if Arsenal got relegated? Gaurentee half the imbeciles on Arsenal fan tv would convert to Spurs fans.

I wouldn't say Arsenal are THAT short defensively, they just seem to be coached awfully.

Cech and Ospina are good goalkeeping options, a new centre back would be necessary to compliment Koscielny and Mustafi who are both good defenders (Mustafi's recent form is a worry), in the full back positions Bellerin is an excellent player and Monreal is a solid dependable no frills option.

a tough midfielder is an absolute priority though

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, StanSP said:

it didn't look like he says 'I said I'm sorry' in the final exchange. Looks like something else.

I’ll let you into a secret Stan but don’t tell anyone as it can been seen as being a bit of a killjoy, it’s not even about a handball situation, and yes he says “are you still having a go” instead of ‘I said I’m sorry’ 

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

I’ll let you into a secret Stan but don’t tell anyone as it can been seen as being a bit of a killjoy, it’s not even about a handball situation, and yes he says “are you still having a go” instead of ‘I said I’m sorry’ 

i thought it was about the handball during the game anyway lol 

2 hours ago, KFS said:

I'd love to see what modern era plastics look like when a club goes into ruin. Leeds you feel maintained a lot of their support having once been a U.K. giant. Wonder what would happen if Arsenal got relegated? Gaurentee half the imbeciles on Arsenal fan tv would convert to Spurs fans.

Na can’t see that tbf, Arsenal do have a huge following, bigger then Leeds, even if they went to Leeds level 

15 hours ago, KFS said:

Norf landun would be a great place to sell rope and razor blades lol lol