Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I think he's doing best he can in a failing team and system to be honest. 

Tackles 17/18

1. Wilfred Ndidi Leicester City
 Nigeria
2. Idrissa Gueye Everton
 Senegal
3. N'Golo Kanté Chelsea
 France

There's no denying he's great at winning the ball back but personally I don't think he's got a lot else to his game.

2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

OK, but I think personally a 21 year old who has been the best tackler in the Premier League in only his first proper full on season should be encouraged and cherished.  He is 21 and can improve in so many ways.  X

How often have you seen a player that’s limited in attack actually improve in that regard? People probably said the same about Simpson when he was younger “oh he’s not very good going forwards but he’ll improve”. Our fans have been saying Chilwell will improve defensively but he barely has over two seasons.

18 minutes ago, Wookie said:

How often have you seen a player that’s limited in attack actually improve in that regard? People probably said the same about Simpson when he was younger “oh he’s not very good going forwards but he’ll improve”. Our fans have been saying Chilwell will improve defensively but he barely has over two seasons.

Yes but if we were saying "he's OK at tackling and his passing will improve" I would be more likely to agree but we are saying "He is statistically the best tackler in one of the best leagues in the world at 21 years of age and subjective opinions suggest his passing his poor".  And, that being the case, criticisms of the young man seem very churlish.

X

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

There's no denying he's great at winning the ball back but personally I don't think he's got a lot else to his game.

He's also largely great at winning back balls because he loses so many of them per match.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wookie said:

I probably over-exaggerated how poor we are but we're still not a good team unfortunately. In regards to O'Neill's era we probably weren't very good individually but we had a squad with players willing to run themselves into the ground and maximised our strengths in areas like set pieces. Expectations back then were different too, then our fanbase were happy with top 10 finishes but now everything thing is viewed from a title winning lens despite it being a complete one off.

Therein lies the problem many predicted.

Despite it being more and more obvious that it was a one-off of freakish proportions, fans are still expecting us to over-perform.

We should be content with a top half finish and a decent FA Cup run.

That's not the same as saying we shouldn't be ambitious, but as fans we tend to lack patience and be realistic.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wookie said:

I probably over-exaggerated how poor we are but we're still not a good team unfortunately. In regards to O'Neill's era we probably weren't very good individually but we had a squad with players willing to run themselves into the ground and maximised our strengths in areas like set pieces. Expectations back then were different too, then our fanbase were happy with top 10 finishes but now everything thing is viewed from a title winning lens despite it being a complete one off.

A bit one-dimensional. Winning the title plays into it, but I‘d say the fans who have known the club for decades have more realistic expectations and know how bad things once were, as opposed to the ones that only started to follow the club in the past two years or so and only make the connection with a PL title and playing Champions League football.

You could say that football has more and more switched to the business side since the O‘Neill days, too.

Our financial situation has changed dramatically over the past few years.

We went from being a club regularly selling talent to a buyer‘s club.

20, 25 years ago we‘d probably have pointed the index finger at our forehead repeatedly if we‘d known we‘d spend around £100m on players that tend to be flops over the course of two seasons only.

Like many clubs before us, we‘ve dreamt of league titles. Now that it‘s become reality, we don‘t seem to know how to handle it. Bit of a nightmare.

Edited by MC Prussian

Just now, shen said:

There is that entitledness again.

How is is it entitledness, it’s realistic imo?

Top 7 place is usually Everton’s but they have regressed this season, and now Burnley have taken it, we have a good core of players that have played in Europe before so it’s not unrealistic to expect us to get to that level in time if coached properly. If that’s entitledness then I give up.

7 minutes ago, shen said:

Hmm...

This season, I think we've wasted a glorious chance of reaching 7th spot - no matter what the reason(s).

Whether we'll finish in 9th/10th place next season remains to be seen.

Competition for places could be much more demanding in 2018-19, for all we know.

And if next season pans out in similar ways to this one, then why not actually have a go at it and aim for that 7th spot?

All in all, should we be happy to play in the Premier League forever as a club finishing in between 8th and 17th on a regular basis?

Or strive for more?

The days of Leicester as a regular Championship side are gone (for now), so are the O'Neill era and the financial woes of the past.

We're operating on a different level - in many different ways.

What is realistic for a club like Leicester?

Where do you want us to be in say five, ten years?

I tend to read a lot about other Leicester fans being "entitled" and having "delusions of grandeur" - but usually, the people throwing these phrases around don't come up with their own predictions for the future.

C'mon, jump off that fence. :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

How is is it entitledness, it’s realistic imo?

Top 7 place is usually Everton’s but they have regressed this season, and now Burnley have taken it, we have a good core of players that have played in Europe before so it’s not unrealistic to expect us to get to that level in time if coached properly. If that’s entitledness then I give up.

It's an ambitious aim and not unrealistic, sure.

But that we 'should' get it suggests you rate our team higher than our competitors, largely based on the title-winning season, because we've not exactly shone consistently before or since.

The way you phrase it anything less than top 7 is disappointing, when it fact anything like top half should be classed as a success for our club.

17 hours ago, Wookie said:

Maguire and Ndidi aren't close to Vardy and Mahrez unfortunately. Maguire's defensive errors go unnoticed because he's good on the ball and Ndidi is the opposite.

It amazes me that you are so tough on Maguire and Ndidi compared to Mahrez. Maguire makes far far less defensive errors than Mahrez makes offensive errors. If you rated Mahrez in the same way you rate Maguire he'd be non-league standard.

Maguire and Ndidi will both be playing in the world Cup this year. Mahrerz will be sitting at an airport terminal looking for a new destination.

Guest MattP
32 minutes ago, shen said:

Seventh is where we should be though, we have the seventh highest wage bill in the division. 

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Hmm...

This season, I think we've wasted a glorious chance of reaching 7th spot - no matter what the reason(s).

Whether we'll finish in 9th/10th place next season remains to be seen.

Competition for places could be much more demanding in 2018-19, for all we know.

And if next season pans out in similar ways to this one, then why not actually have a go at it and aim for that 7th spot?

All in all, should we be happy to play in the Premier League forever as a club finishing in between 8th and 17th on a regular basis?

Or strive for more?

The days of Leicester as a regular Championship side are gone (for now), so are the O'Neill era and the financial woes of the past.

We're operating on a different level - in many different ways.

What is realistic for a club like Leicester?

Where do you want us to be in say five, ten years?

I tend to read a lot about other Leicester fans being "entitled" and having "delusions of grandeur" - but usually, the people throwing these phrases around don't come up with their own predictions for the future.

C'mon, jump off that fence. :thumbup:

Firstly, I think the owners should be praised for pulling the trigger on Shakespeare early enough for us to rectify our dreadful start.

The fact we're currently sitting top half is testament to the all-round decent season we've salvaged from that potential disaster.

Secondly, while I agree that 7th spot was a possibility, it required us to over-perform yet again or at least to the best of our abilities throughout the season.

Usually only a two or three clubs each season can say this.

That's also not taking other clubs and their respective seasons. We're not the only club who can over-perform as Burnley have demonstrated.

Even so, it's not like we have been miles off 7th and for long stretches this season looked likely to overtake Burnley eventually.

We can't go thinking we're safe from relegation just because we pulled off a miracle.

We have flirted with relegation in three of our four seasons back in the PL and only inspired turn-arounds mid-season have saved us.

It's only been two seasons since our title win so two finishes in midtable hardly gives me that 'forever' feeling.

I think a steady and sensible approach (like what we had under Pearson, Burnley under Dyche and Bournemouth under Howe) is something we should strive for as that would increase our chances of sustained success.

Right now, I'm content with us being a mid-table club, but I'm experienced enough to know that a few bad decisions could see us go right back down.

I'm apprehensive about the approach the club has taken post-Pearson. We got lucky with Ranieri, but have been papering over the cracks since.

I do not think we have the players currently to compete for anything more than top half and with some departures looking likely, we once more need fortune in the transfer market and probably managerial appointment to preserve our PL status...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Seventh is where we should be though, we have the seventh highest wage bill in the division. 

Which source are you using? The one I see has us in 8th behind Everton.

They're just above us, so both clubs have been leapfrogged by an overperforming Burnley side.

Pretty much par for the course so far, I'd say?

Anyways, if any club has shown that wage bill doesn't guarantee success, it's ours surely?

44 minutes ago, MattP said:

Just means we have overpaid players

19 minutes ago, Donut said:

Just means we have overpaid players

....and poor value for money recruits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Burnley have the 19th highest wage bill - does that mean we should be relegated?

When we finished runners-up to Leicester in 2013/14, Burnley had the 15th highest wage bill.

Edited by lancyclaret
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lancyclaret said:

Burnley have the 19th highest wage bill - does that mean we should be relegated?

When we finished runners-up to Leicester in 2013/14, Burnley had the 15th highest wage bill.

You sound like your manager.

You'll have to pay your players what they are worth now or risk losing them to market leaders who can offer many pound notes.

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

And that shows you are vastly overperforming - all credit to your manager and players for doing so.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

You sound like your manager.

You'll have to pay your players what they are worth now or risk losing them to market leaders who can offer many pound notes.

Yep, Man United ready to pay £40 million for Pope to replace Real Madrid-bound De Gea.

Mee joining Liverpool for £30 million.

We'll have plenty of pound notes to buy a few Championship players.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1