Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Slimani/Vardy Partnership

I'm pretty sure management is happy with Slim in terms of his work ethic and with his contribution of decisive goals. The only way I see him leaving is if they sign someone way better or if they get a deal they can't refuse (from Everton or China, are the most likely) 

15 hours ago, Tuna said:

If that Chinese money is still on offer, I'd take it and let him go at the end of the season.

He has scored some important goals but at 29 we should cash in overall he's been a major flop with all his fitness issues.

tempted to agree here 

ive always liked rondon from wba if we could prize him away im sure him and vardy up front would be lethal

Slim is a very good footballer but he needs to start winning headers from goal kicks.

He is clinical when it comes to heading in crosses and generally his goal to minutes ratio is impressive. Can tell he knows where the net is- just needs the right service. Must have been tough to settle when not playing every week and then going away to AFCON.

Give him a good pre-season and then see how we can integrate him in to the team. Clearly not as quick as Vardy but more mobile than Ulloa imo. Agree that Shinji seems to bring the best out of Vardy and the team as a whole though.

Slimani and Vardy will never work IMO

They're both at their best occupying the same space, we don't have enough possession to have the luxury of playing them both together. The only chance of them playing together is a change of formation.

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Slimani and Vardy will never work IMO

They're both at their best occupying the same space, we don't have enough possession to have the luxury of playing them both together. The only chance of them playing together is a change of formation.

I agree with this. The only way playing them together would work is if we signed an attacking CM to play just behind them (like Sigurdsson) to feed them the ammo. We don't have enough playmakers in the side to warrant playing the pair, at present.

30 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I agree with this. The only way playing them together would work is if we signed an attacking CM to play just behind them (like Sigurdsson) to feed them the ammo. We don't have enough playmakers in the side to warrant playing the pair, at present.

Let's hope Swansea go down, and then we can buy the player we should have signed last year!

• 2 weeks later...

I like Slimani a lot. In a way, I think Mahrez going (while not being great for us) may help Slimani. I want to see him engaging with his other team mates, integrating into the squad a bit better. He is a talent and one which if applied well, could go on to have 2-3 good years at Leicester. 

Slimani has stepped up recently, really looks like he wants to fight for his place. Then again, Okazaki has also been excellent.

If we can get all 3 on form, I'd be more than happy to have play Vardy/Okazaki for the more difficult games in which we need to defend from the front, and Vardy/Slimani for the games we're expected to press on more and win. Possibly bring in a younger fourth option to develop as well. 

Sadly, as much as I love Ulloa, I think he might be heading out the door this summer- he just wants to play, and we can't make any assurances about first team football.

I believe any partnership, next year will be depending on what quality midfielder we pick up over the summer. BOTH vardy +slimani would benifit from clearer, precise midfield passes.

last 2 games, unfotunateiy means zilch, for next season.

We need the Shakespeare/new manager, and whole backroom coaching staff, to know or v understand, what this or nexts season players bring and offer that something special..

2 minutes ago, Melbourne Fuchs said:

I was thinking about this, but I doubt Shakey will get too experimental. No doubt he wants to put himself in the best possible position to get a contract extension.

I think the decision is already made and it's not two dead rubber games that will change the owners mind. If any, being a bit experimental can only benefits Shakey. If it works that would be an argument more for him. 

We already know how the 4-4-2 with Shinji and Vardy works, so I'd like to see more of this 3-4-1-2 with Vardy and Slim up front. 

1 hour ago, Ted Maul said:

Slimani has stepped up recently, really looks like he wants to fight for his place. Then again, Okazaki has also been excellent.

Perhaps his groin injury has cleared up which has helped. I always thought he looked lively when he played but injury worries could have held him back a bit. Hope he gets a solid preseason with us and I could see him scoring a bunch next season. 

On 30/04/2017 at 21:34, murphy said:

Can anyone elaborate on him not fitting in with the squad or is it just rumour?

It might not be connected in any way, but I was told that one of the problems before Shakespeare took over from Ranieri as manager was that factions had formed among the players...a point which seemed in contrast, at least on the surface,  to the much-highlighted team spirit that helped us win the Premiership title.

The word "factions" suggests to me that there were three groups because, otherwise, I'd have been told there were "two factions" rather than "factions" in general. But there was no further information on the subject so I'm left to wonder , a) if there were factions at all and b) how any groups might have been made up.

Certainly the impression given of Vardy's title-celebrating party was of a squad which genuinely got on well together. But then I don't know who went and who didn't from the squad, or why, Nor how any groupings might have evolved from there to include any, some or none of the new signings.

Yes, I could imagine the make-up of potential factions but it would only be worthless and probably erroneous, guesswork.

But, if factions do exist, it's mighty important our manager acts to unify the group effectively for next season and, if necessary, wave goodbye to anyone who might foster disharmony because cliques can spread a kind of cancer that eats into a club far more destructively than anyone having an off game or two.

All sorts of factors can encourage separate groups  - some that can't easily be helped, others that might be helped and a few that don't matter much.

Shakespeare seems the sort of man who'd go the last mile to encourage and promote harmony and I imagine it to be one of his great strengths. But he can't afford to let himself be blinded by false faith or hope if such a problem has negaitve effect, and continues.

He'll either need to sort it for the general good, or get rid of it.       

Where Slimani might stand in relation to the above is entirely unknown to me.

He might be an absolute gem of a player and person to have in the team and the squad. He certainly did well enough at his last club and I've never read mention of his "not fitting in" although the sort of conversation recorded between him and Mahrez before the Manchester City game didn't exactly promote a love of our club any more than media comments by Mahrez relating to his ambitions for the future.  

But then lots of people say things they believe to be "in private" which they wouldn't necessarily like to hit the headlines. And people can still do their best on the pitch while having "higher" ambitions and keeping their own company or choice of company off it.

Kante was a good example. A very good example because he just got on with doing an exceptional job week in, week out, while largely keeping himself to himself beyond that.    

I've actually been a bit of a defender of Slimani up until today.... But how the hell did we end up paying £30m for this guy. OK he can head the ball sometimes, but that's literally it! Today at one point we had Musa and Slimani (£46 odd million), I think I would have rather had Matty fryatt and Ian Marshall back....... 

2 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I've actually been a bit of a defender of Slimani up until today.... But how the hell did we end up paying £30m for this guy. OK he can head the ball sometimes, but that's literally it! Today at one point we had Musa and Slimani (£46 odd million), I think I would have rather had Matty fryatt and Ian Marshall back....... 

There was one chance, about half way through the second half, I think, where Slim was put through and was basically gonna be one on one with the keeper. 

He didn't have the pace to get away from the last defender (forcing him to have to go wider than he wanted) and his finish was tame to say the least.

Piss poor... genuinely.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

There was one chance, about half way through the second half, I think, where Slim was put through and was basically gonna be one on one with the keeper. 

He didn't have the pace to get away from the last defender (forcing him to have to go wider than he wanted) and his finish was tame to say the least.

Piss poor... genuinely.

Yes and he shot straight at Loris! 

Slimani up front with Vardy withdrawn doesn't work. Vardy up front with Slimani withdrawn doesn't work. The answer why is simple, they are both centre forwards.

The only combination that works is Vardy with someone able to link the midfield to the attack. Maybe Slimani would work with the same, don't think we've seen that though. We need a proper link player.

Archived