Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

That One Song That Instantly and Always Sends Shivers Down Your Spine

For me it's gotta be Fade Into You by Mazzy Star.

I was never a Mazzy Star fan - I didn't buy their albums, and never really knew what precise genre or scene they were a part of. And I can't think of anyone who had them as their favourite band, or this as their favourite song. But anytime I've been somewhere and this song comes on, you can feel the impact it has on people. Nobody dances to it, nobody sings along, nobody shouts "OMG! I love this song!" - everybody just kinda shuts up and ponders life for about 4 and a half minutes. 

Can't think of any other song that has such universal 'je ne sais quoi" as this one. Interested to hear what anyone else has.

13 minutes ago, Tuna said:

definitely a good one, but i'm thinking most the impact of that song comes from the memories associated with it. 

2 hours ago, winchesterton said:

I was never a Mazzy Star fan - I didn't buy their albums, and never really knew what precise genre or scene they were a part of. And I can't think of anyone who had them as their favourite band, or this as their favourite song. But anytime I've been somewhere and this song comes on, you can feel the impact it has on people. Nobody dances to it, nobody sings along, nobody shouts "OMG! I love this song!" - everybody just kinda shuts up and ponders life for about 4 and a half minutes. 

Can't think of any other song that has such universal 'je ne sais quoi" as this one. Interested to hear what anyone else has.

I have the LP it's from 'So tonight that I might see', it's a great album you should get it.  I then bought  'she hangs' but didn't like it and never bought anything else by them, still listen to the former sometimes.

I have a few that spring to mind,  The intro to Pearl jam's 'Alive' reminds me of the moment I knew that band was the one for me, but the one that springs to mind is the earls court live performance of Last night I dreamt someone loved me, even the closing comment by Morrissey 'don't forget me, I love you' gives me chills.

Another live one from Springsteen does it for me too, 'No Surrender' from his live box set, introduces the song by saying 'this one's for friendship' guess it reminds me of that friendship you had when you were young, friends you grew up with etc...

Plus one of the best first lines of a song.

We busted out of class had to get away from those fools,
We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I have the LP it's from 'So tonight that I might see', it's a great album you should get it.  I then bought  'she hangs' but didn't like it and never bought anything else by them, still listen to the former sometimes.

Yeah, i've started delving into their other songs. Got some good tunes - similar to fade into you, naturally, but nothing quite as powerful. I suppose it's the million dollar question "how do you write a great song?" On paper there doesn't seem to be much difference; i'm guessing most bands just stumble upon them without much thought or direct effort.

Re: springsteen.  Streets of Philadelphia always gets me.

On 30/04/2017 at 20:05, purpleronnie said:

She Hangs Brightly is the better album, though So Tonight That I Might See is superb too.

Agree with you though, there's more than a few song that send a tingle down my spine.

Guest seanfox778
On 30/04/2017 at 17:58, winchesterton said:

Look On Down From The Bridge and Halah are two of my favourites of theirs. 

Bruce Springsteen has some great songs that go straight through you, I love these two from the album The River.

10 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

She Hangs Brightly is the better album, though So Tonight That I Might See is superb too.

Agree with you though, there's more than a few song that send a tingle down my spine.

I know some fans see it as such, but from the reviews and ratings I saw So tonight often edges it.

If you want shivers and Springsteen it's from the live recordings at the LA Coliseum in 85, The River. The story about his dad and the Nam draft, then the harmonica kicking in. Brilliant.

My answer to this though would be:

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If you want shivers and Springsteen it's from the live recordings at the LA Coliseum in 85, The River. The story about his dad and the Nam draft, then the harmonica kicking in. Brilliant.

My answer to this though would be:

I'm not going to get that time back now.

5 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I know some fans see it as such, but from the reviews and ratings I saw So tonight often edges it.

Actually, back on track, this song always gives me a tingle, fittingly...

On 5/1/2017 at 05:30, foxfanazer said:

The first few notes of this instantly sends a chill down my spine 

Out of interest... i once heard that this song was written about having an orgasm.. if true.. i love the fact that all these old women are having it played at their funerals :)

10 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Out of interest... i once heard that this song was written about having an orgasm.. if true.. i love the fact that all these old women are having it played at their funerals :)

You may have just ruined this for me lol

Archived