Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

What can be done to improve our home atmosphere?

49 minutes ago, The soup nazi said:

It doesn't need to involve everyone, that isn't correct .Did you go to Copenhagen? 

Well it does if you want the "atmosphere " to exist in all parts of the stadium. Having a noisy  kop with every one else sitting with their arms folded (exaggeration on purpose) does not for me suggest a great atmosphere.

Can't.

Whatever you try won't work because you'll not get a big percentage constantly singing. Every home ground is the same. I do a lot of aways and currently I'm struggling to think of the last home crowd I was impressed with. I just think we're at a point where it's built like a day out (as such) and there's plenty of people willing to go and take in a game without the intention of singing.

The best we can do is at least get everyone in sync. L1, Union FS and the Kop (where I am in SK2) always sing different songs. I often hear either one section behind another or just a few people trying to get different songs going.

People criticize clappers but at least it allows people to join in - even if they don't sing they're making a little bit of noise.

44 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

For me they've encouraged laziness with some. People think that sitting down hitting some card against their other hand is enough.

Well it's a whole deal more than they've done before or will do if you take them away.

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Can't.

Whatever you try won't work because you'll not get a big percentage constantly singing. Every home ground is the same. I do a lot of aways and currently I'm struggling to think of the last home crowd I was impressed with. I just think we're at a point where it's built like a day out (as such) and there's plenty of people willing to go and take in a game without the intention of singing.

The best we can do is at least get everyone in sync. L1, Union FS and the Kop (where I am in SK2) always sing different songs. I often hear either one section behind another or just a few people trying to get different songs going.

People criticize clappers but at least it allows people to join in - even if they don't sing they're making a little bit of noise.

Our away ends have been even worse recently. 

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Can't.

...and has it ever been any different. Apart from specific incidents during a game there's always been a proportion of the crowd that come simply to watch.

The best atmosphere is when you get everyone, yes even the sitters off their seat and that can't  be sustained. The nearest we can get to it is as I said is through exciting attacking successful football.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

...and has it ever been any different. Apart from specific incidents during a game there's always been a proportion of the crowd that come simply to watch.

The best atmosphere is when you get everyone, yes even the sitters off their seat and that can't  be sustained. The nearest we can get to it is as I said is through exciting attacking successful football.

Or a dodgy ref

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Our home atmosphere is decent, but there's plenty of room for improvement. What would you like to see changed in order to achieve a better home atmosphere?

We have been around and around with this one, we play well, the atmosphere is great, play bad like most of last season, poor atmosphere.

People have short memories of how great the atmosphere was all season when we won the league, I don't think people can under estimate the effect of the performance influences the crowd, just remember the plaudits we got in the media, and the images of the cameras bouncing, because of the atmosphere.

I don't care what people say about the players need us rocking in the stands, they are highly paid, professional footballers, which should be enough motivation to give it their all.

Just now, Monsell1976 said:

We have been around and around with this one, we play well, the atmosphere is great, play bad like most of last season, poor atmosphere.

People have short memories of how great the atmosphere was all season when we won the league, I don't think people can under estimate the effect of the performance influences the crowd, just remember the plaudits we got in the media, and the images of the cameras bouncing, because of the atmosphere.

I don't care what people say about the players need us rocking in the stands, they are highly paid, professional footballers, which should be enough motivation to give it their all.

Well yeah, that's stating the obvious really. The thing is though, our fans always seem to be giving it the big one about our atmosphere when in reality we concede a goal and it just completely knocks the stuffing out of most of the crowd. Creating an atmosphere is more than just about trying to give the team that extra boost, it also makes the match day experience much better.

18 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Well yeah, that's stating the obvious really. The thing is though, our fans always seem to be giving it the big one about our atmosphere when in reality we concede a goal and it just completely knocks the stuffing out of most of the crowd. Creating an atmosphere is more than just about trying to give the team that extra boost, it also makes the match day experience much better.

Not really, the great escape season, we went down, the atmosphere was good, big difference between last season, and the great escape season, we went a goal down playing decently, attacking, and gave it a go, last season, for large parts of the season, we went a goal down, and the players rolled over, and we had no attacking threat.

We don't have to win to create an atmosphere, but when the team is battling, creating, it generates an atmosphere, win, lose or draw

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Even when we've won. West Ham away, our first win away from home in the league in almost a year and it was an absolute shambles. 

Yes it was but there was no way we could generate anything there.

West Brom was pretty poor from where I was but I could go on tbf. 

I'd be gutted if the clappers were ever removed - without the clappers, the match day atmosphere in certain sections would be atrocious.

Pretty sure the great escape and subsequent league win coincided with the introduction of the clappers (in the west ham game at home when Cambiasso scored a screamer).

Parts of the KP would be like a library again if we removed the clappers. I actually think our home atmosphere is decent but agree there is always room for improvement.

I reckon you lot that go on a regular basis are being a bit hard on yourself.

I don't get to go these days but watching from afar, our atmosphere seems to be right up there with the very best in the country.

It's widely acknowledged that us and Palace are the two best grounds in the PL for atmosphere so I wouldn't beat yourselves up too much.

I for one am proud of the reputation we have for building a great atmosphere at the KP, so well done to UFS and to you all for putting other clubs to shame :thumbup:

Keep doing what you're doing :scarf:

For me it would be to do with pre match antics now just as much as increasing standing in the kop/getting like minded fans together. I think a fanzone with restaurants/bars nearer to the ground than town would get more people in early, more pints down the neck, and generally a better buzz before kick off. I love making a day out of games but not sure everyone else does with current set ups. 

7 minutes ago, Sammy said:

For me it would be to do with pre match antics now just as much as increasing standing in the kop/getting like minded fans together. I think a fanzone with restaurants/bars nearer to the ground than town would get more people in early, more pints down the neck, and generally a better buzz before kick off. I love making a day out of games but not sure everyone else does with current set ups. 

One thing I've noticed about European football is that the fans tend to get in the ground much earlier and are singing well before kick off. 

32 minutes ago, Sammy said:

24 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

One thing I've noticed about European football is that the fans tend to get in the ground much earlier and are singing well before kick off. 

That might be down to unreserved seating, standing will have similar effect. I doubt we'll ever have the first again. 

Get rid of the clappers. For all they helped create an initial boom in the atmosphere I think it's gone a little downhill and it's time to get rid of them. They completely prevent any song from spreading around the ground. Start song, people start clapping them, speed up and then it's the end. Time to get rid for me. Not that I expect that to happen.

I also think they've made our away ends quieter as people have bought into being prompted to make an atmosphere with a clapper rather than off their own back. I'm not suggesting we do this but we had them away at Brugge and it was a very good away end, the best of the season by a considerable distance. I feel like our fans have become too accustomed to using them and without them they're less inclined to create any atmosphere - hence why the away ends are bollocks.

There are the obvious suggestions to improve home atmosphere as well - I think you could really take some strides to improve things if the expansion ever got done. More space for getting groups who want to sing together for example. It's good up in SK1 but the reality is there's still only about 100 of us tops who are actually singing. Should an expansion happen you could re-arrange things a bit and have more of the vocal fans up there.

How's L1 nowdays? I can hardly hear it but I can't tell if that's because it's quiet there or if it's because they're all facing a different way and the noise they make doesn't travel in my direction.

Archived