Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Iborra Signs

Agree that he looked tidy and composed, but little else. James had the better game and to be honest I'm not sure there's much difference between the 2 technically. Not sure whether to be pleased or underwhelmed at that. 

Love that this guy who has yet to play a competitive game for us and has won Eufa cup 3 times is garbage already - this is a new record I think, it's going to be a long season for the fella even if he is the new Kante I fear. If I were him I'd have a transfer request in already and try to get to a club where you get a few games to see if you are any good before the 'fans' turn on you - amazing stuff FT, definitely the best f**king off a player we have had yet - not far away now surely from screaming get rid for a new signing before they even pose for the scarf/shirt pic?

Iborra was cool,tidy and composed.

It seems that many posters expect a new player to hit the ground running with no time to adapt to their changed environment or to familiarise themselves with how the team and their new teammates play.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

If we'd been linked with him and Iborra and they both played for Burnley I'd be far happier buying him than Iborra so far on showings in pre season without any question.

You seem to be seduced by his name and where he came from. I don't care if it's Burnley or Barcelona, it's how they play that matters and so far he's about 4th choice in my eyes.

lol it's nothing to do with where he's from or his name, wow! Just recognise that so far both have been ok-half decent with neither pulling up any trees BUT Iborra is slightly different so probably more worthwhile to the squad. I like James this isn't a rant about him, I hope he kicks on this season.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Iborra was ok, I praised him in the match thread several times... but I praised James far more. I just watch the game and call what I see, so far James has impressed me more as he's offered more at both ends of the pitch.

Iborra will have his uses, trying to strangle games or see games out. I can't see how his style fits into our usual 442, so I can't see him starting unless we change that.

I don't think he'll fit in the 442 that well at all

In a 2-man midfield, playing against a 3-man midfield you don't see much of the ball so your athleticism & mobility counts for more - I've been more impressed with James than our other midfielders this preseason, not only is his mobility helping him but he seems on a mission to make up for lost time & missing out on /that/ season.

On showing so far I've only seen enough from Iborra to suggest that he'll be in the bench & brought on to change the pace of our midfield later on in games, in a way that Amartey has previously

51 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

lol it's nothing to do with where he's from or his name, wow! Just recognise that so far both have been ok-half decent with neither pulling up any trees BUT Iborra is slightly different so probably more worthwhile to the squad. I like James this isn't a rant about him, I hope he kicks on this season.

You're the one bringing up if James was from Burnley we wouldn't want him. Keane was from Burnley and I'd have liked him very much, based on performances.

10 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Compare James to other centre mids from teams in similar positions to us, he's bang average. 

If Matty James played for Stoke or Burnley and got linked with us we'd all be moaning and massively underwhelmed. 

Yes I know people will use the 'you could say the same argument about Morgan Vardy Simpson etc' but let's be fair Matty James is nothing more than a useful squad player. I really really hope he grabs the season by the scruff of the neck because I think he had carved a niche for himself here but atm he still looks slightly overweight! 

Disagree about this. If we'd signed James from an overseas club and his name was Mateo Jimenez, we'd all be raving about what a brilliant signing he looked with the quality and composure on the ball we'd been crying out for.

MJ suffers in some peoples eyes because people look at his past association in the 'great escape' side that was bottom most of the year (although he was one of our top performers throughout) and the fact he didn't play in the title winning season through no fault of his own.

Give him a clean slate FFS, the man has worked hard enough to be in this position to deserve it.

5 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Bloody hell, Iborra, you certainly don't like it on a warm Tuesday night in Burton. Fook off back to Spain where you only have to be any good 4 games a season. :ph34r:

So you basically think that Barcelona and Real Madrid are the only good teams in Spain. 

What about Atletico Madrid? The thorn in Barca and Real's feet since Simeone took over.

Athletic Bilbao, Villarreal, and Real Sociedad are tough teams to beat. They're like the Spanish "Everton".

Also, a big team could slip to a mid-table team or a relegation candidate team, ex: Barcelona vs Deportivo Alaves, Deportivo la Coruna, and Malaga; Real Madrid vs Las Palmas, Valencia, and Eibar. 

As you can see, Sevilla has a lot of teams to worry about and they can't only have 4 tough games a season. (home/away vs Barca and Real)

4 hours ago, seenitall said:

Love that this guy who has yet to play a competitive game for us and has won Eufa cup 3 times is garbage already - this is a new record I think, it's going to be a long season for the fella even if he is the new Kante I fear. If I were him I'd have a transfer request in already and try to get to a club where you get a few games to see if you are any good before the 'fans' turn on you - amazing stuff FT, definitely the best f**king off a player we have had yet - not far away now surely from screaming get rid for a new signing before they even pose for the scarf/shirt pic?

I've oft said that FT is a land that confuses and confounds. I look at some of the posts that some people make and think....'eh'?

Fortunately, there are some posters too who I like and nearly always seem to agree with.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

You're the one bringing up if James was from Burnley we wouldn't want him. Keane was from Burnley and I'd have liked him very much, based on performances.

Maybe because Keane is a very very good premier league footballer. James isn't 

Iborra will be the new Andy King.

Not many will notice the work he does (or did as is the case for King, even I know he's not quite good enough for the premier league)

He'll keep things simple, he'll do the simple jobs right, and will somehow be in the right position every single time he's called upon. 

I'm fairly certain that he's not been signed to play in a 2 man midfield.  He's been signed to play as part of a 3, probably more away games than home games.  To give us an extra option. extra formation, and to allow us to play out from the back, a link from defence  to midfield.

He'll certainly come in hand when we're 1 or 2 goals up and need to see out 20 minutes in a game.  Admittedly lacks a bit of urgency that the premier league can require, but hopefully he'll pick that.  But he does give us a calm head where we need it most, just in front of the centre backs.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Iborra will be the new Andy King.

Not many will notice the work he does (or did as is the case for King, even I know he's not quite good enough for the premier league)

He'll keep things simple, he'll do the simple jobs right, and will somehow be in the right position every single time he's called upon. 

I'm fairly certain that he's not been signed to play in a 2 man midfield.  He's been signed to play as part of a 3, probably more away games than home games.  To give us an extra option. extra formation, and to allow us to play out from the back, a link from defence  to midfield.

He'll certainly come in hand when we're 1 or 2 goals up and need to see out 20 minutes in a game.  Admittedly lacks a bit of urgency that the premier league can require, but hopefully he'll pick that.  But he does give us a calm head where we need it most, just in front of the centre backs.

You could be right but do we need 'a new Andy King'?

Im not judging Iborra till I see him play but by all accounts he doesn't sound like the sort of midfielder the club really needed. We've got too many of a similar nature AND quality imo.

I'd love to see us get in a really good CM who I think will make a big difference. A modern day Muzzy

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Any maybe Iborra isn't, what team they are from isn't relevant.

Don't think you're understanding the point I'm making. I couldn't give a shit if he's from Sevilla or Burnely I'm just saying that it's onl loyalty to James' past seasons that's gaining him merit now despite the fact he isn't really good enough to start for us. The point about Burnley was if James was linked with us now from whichever club as a fanbase we would be massively underwhelmed due to not having previous loyalties in relation to his ability

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Don't think you're understanding the point I'm making. I couldn't give a shit if he's from Sevilla or Burnely I'm just saying that it's onl loyalty to James' past seasons that's gaining him merit now despite the fact he isn't really good enough to start for us. The point about Burnley was if James was linked with us now from whichever club as a fanbase we would be massively underwhelmed due to not having previous loyalties in relation to his ability

No, it's his performances that are gaining him merit. He's been the standout CM pre season by some distance for me.

If Iborra continues to perform how he is, I'm going to continue to be underwhelmed by him.

You keep going on about James not being good enough like it's fact. He was keeping DD out of the team and rightly so first season up. He's always been a mile better than King. He's only ever been in the team fleetingly when the manager and players got it together at the end of the first season before his injury.

If he gets back to his best there is no reason he can't progress to the amount Simpson, DD, Wes, Albrighton etc did when played correctly.

I think he is the new easy target in some peoples eyes. Some people are looking  for an avenue to vent their frustrations after some unconvincing preseason performances.

Personally, i would place the blame at those who  speak fluent english, know our system and know the other players and have played in English football for years. Unless of course they excelled last night...

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think he is the new easy target in some peoples eyes. Some people are looking  for an avenue to vent their frustrations after some unconvincing preseason performances.

Personally, i would place the blame at those who  speak fluent english, know our system and know the other players and have played in English football for years. Unless of course they excelled last night...

He's not at all, there hasn't been that much said against him. I personally praised him in the match thread for quite a few things he did. But I'm not just going to ignore people telling me James is no good and that Iborra was great, when I don't think that has been the case at all.

This is more a defence of James that a slating of Iborra. He's not played a second in a 442 from memory in the games I've watched. So that probably tells you where he's going to be used, I can accept and understand that and I can see where he comes in useful.

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You could be right but do we need 'a new Andy King'?

Im not judging Iborra till I see him play but by all accounts he doesn't sound like the sort of midfielder the club really needed. We've got too many of a similar nature AND quality imo.

I'd love to see us get in a really good CM who I think will make a big difference. A modern day Muzzy

The new Andy King as I'm not many will notice the work that he does because it'll be all the simple stuff done right.

We don't have any midfielder of a similar nature. No one is composed enough to know when to slow a game down, no one has the ability to pass a ball seemingly without looking. He's the sort of player who knows where a man is before he's even received the ball himself. He'll add nothing to us in terms of creativity in attack, I'm not saying he'll definitely be a success, no one has seen a performance from him in the premier league. But it wouldn't surprise me if he was at the very start of some of our goals in this up coming season with nothing more than a simple lay off at the right time, where as Drinkwater, for example, will receive the ball, play it back and so on and so on trying to create space to give himself enough time to play the perfect ball into the path of Vardy. 

Of course, how he adapts to the speed and pressure of the premier league will determine that. But at the very least he'll be brought in with 20 minutes left in a game that we need to hold on in, and I'm sure he'll be affective that way

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's not at all, there hasn't been that much said against him. I personally praised him in the match thread for quite a few things he did. But I'm not just going to ignore people telling me James is no good and that Iborra was great, when I don't think that has been the case at all.

This is more a defence of James that a slating of Iborra. He's not played a second in a 442 from memory in the games I've watched. So that probably tells you where he's going to be used, I can accept and understand that and I can see where he comes in useful.

Im not sure how this applies to my post and, for the record, my post wasnt aimed at you.

Archived