Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Iborra Signs

2 hours ago, hejammy said:

It seems more and more likely now that we will be adopting the 3-5-2 system next season, not sure how this is going to go down with the players who last season clearly hated any system that wasn't 4-4-2. I guess if we are to develop as a club we have to go with what "modern day" football suggests and the players will have to live with it. I can see us starting with the usual system and then slowly moving towards the new one tbh. If he does start 442 which of Ndidi, Drinky and iborra do we drop? I think Drinky will have to make way purely based on last seasons form. 

Strikes me that versatility is the key reason for Iborra's signing. And the need to limit the demands on people like Drinkwater. The bloke seemed to be playing on empty towards the end of last season and as if he were nursing some kind of injury. And he wasn't the only one - factors which starkly emphasised our lack of sufficient back-up.

Another factor is his potential for making and scoring goals because we have too many players who don't really pose more than a token threat in these directions making it easier for opponents to double up on people who do without any great risk. 

Another aspect is Iborra's aerial ability both defensively and offensively. If the ball's in the air we're going to be demanding a better share of it, particularly in the front two thirds, but without neglecting the rearguard which has also been creaky at times..

Arsenal were well served in this way by Vierra in the past and United by Fellaini. It all points to having presence or threat everywhere it matters. I don't know that it's as simple as dropping any individual but more about keeping everyone a bit fresher by ensuring we've got proper strength in depth, literally and metaphorically and genuine competition for places.

To some extent I wonder if Shakespeare's turning towards experience because older players are sometimes easier to manage in squad situations than eager, impatient youngsters trying to make their mark and establish themselves in a career because some of the  whinging from the latter these recent seasons has been both grating and almost certainly damaging in terms of team spirit...the last thing our current management is likely to put up with, any moore than Pearson in the past. 

It's not always talent that keeps kids out of teams, it's toughness, and we have and have had several who clearly had skills but lack or lacked the physical strength and determination to deal with sustained pressure, or the patience to develop those things. Anyone running up against  the likes of Deeney, Morgan or Huth  needs to have attitude as well as ability. 

It's not always easy for people to change. To fundamentally admit that no matter how good they are in some ways they need to be better in others. It leaves some people by the wayside or heading for a place with different demands - like the less energetic or combative football or warmer climes.

Others have the character to adapt and cope.    

21 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Strikes me that versatility is the key reason for Iborra's signing. And the need to limit the demands on people like Drinkwater. The bloke seemed to be playing on empty towards the end of last season and as if he were nursing some kind of injury. And he wasn't the only one - factors which starkly emphasised our lack of sufficient back-up.

Another factor is his potential for making and scoring goals because we have too many players who don't really pose more than a token threat in these directions making it easier for opponents to double up on people who do without any great risk. 

Another aspect is Iborra's aerial ability both defensively and offensively. If the ball's in the air we're going to be demanding a better share of it, particularly in the front two thirds, but without neglecting the rearguard which has also been creaky at times..

Arsenal were well served in this way by Vierra in the past and United by Fellaini. It all points to having presence or threat everywhere it matters. I don't know that it's as simple as dropping any individual but more about keeping everyone a bit fresher by ensuring we've got proper strength in depth, literally and metaphorically and genuine competition for places.

To some extent I wonder if Shakespeare's turning towards experience because older players are sometimes easier to manage in squad situations than eager, impatient youngsters trying to make their mark and establish themselves in a career because some of the  whinging from the latter these recent seasons has been both grating and almost certainly damaging in terms of team spirit...the last thing our current management is likely to put up with, any moore than Pearson in the past. 

It's not always talent that keeps kids out of teams, it's toughness, and we have and have had several who clearly had skills but lack or lacked the physical strength and determination to deal with sustained pressure, or the patience to develop those things. Anyone running up against  the likes of Deeney, Morgan or Huth  needs to have attitude as well as ability. 

It's not always easy for people to change. To fundamentally admit that no matter how good they are in some ways they need to be better in others. It leaves some people by the wayside or heading for a place with different demands - like the less energetic or combative football or warmer climes.

Others have the character to adapt and cope.    

You talk a lot of sense but then you have to get a dig in?  That;s two posts now competently unrelated to Gray where you have shoehorned in a (thinly) veiled criticism of Gray.  I know his "outbursts" in the media annoyed you personally but can you please PROVE to me, with quotations/facts, that his actions have been "grating and almost certainly damaging in terms of team spirit"?  Have other players stated this?  X

6 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

You talk a lot of sense but then you have to get a dig in?  That;s two posts now competently unrelated to Gray where you have shoehorned in a (thinly) veiled criticism of Gray.  I know his "outbursts" in the media annoyed you personally but can you please PROVE to me, with quotations/facts, that his actions have been "grating and almost certainly damaging in terms of team spirit"?  Have other players stated this?  X

My comment was not specifically aimed at Gray at all as indicated by my reference to "recent seasons" and also to Pearson.

I had all sorts of players - and/or their agents - in mind.

6 minutes ago, Thracian said:

My comment was not specifically aimed at Gray at all as indicated by my reference to "recent seasons" and also to Pearson.

I had all sorts of players - and/or their agents - in mind.

But in a thread about Iborra it seemed an unnecessary criticism based on nothing?  I can't think of many "youngsters" (you clearly specify youngsters) in the last few years that have caused issues? No more than more seasoned pros?

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

But in a thread about Iborra it seemed a criticism based on nothing?  I can't think of many "youngsters" (you clearly specify youngsters) in the last few years that have caused issues? No more than more seasoned pros?

Perhaps you should think a bit harder.

Public pressurising of managers for a team place never goes down well. It causes resentment among other players who are not campaigning and puts pressure on managers who feel that if they pick the campaigner they're asking for similar tactics from other players and/or their agents/friends etc. plus those actions will foster annoyance from those who just get their heads down and let the manager make his own choice.

In this age of internet communication there are even campaigns on sites like these and don't think they're not read within the club because they are.

Canvassing for players on here has been widespread going right back to Kaebi from personal memory.  These may well involve associates of players and seemingly do at times.  

You mention Gray yet his veiled canvassing for game time was there to be listened to in his after-match interview just as there was "evidence" involving otherr  players at other times, which was well documented - or persistently implied - at the time.

As for the thread being about Iborra I was giving a viewpoint related to our signing and reported interested in more experienced players. It seemed entirely relevent to me.

It was you who put two and two together and made five in relation to Gray...for all that his actions are as relevent as others I was referring too and are even being further referred to on News Now only this morning.        

18 minutes ago, Thracian said:

So you open with this as a first line of your retort to basically one of the most amenable guys on the forum and actually expect anybody to bother reading what follows...

Maybe you should follow your own advice and have some quiet time reflecting on your own outbursts never mind Demarai's.

15 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Public pressurising of managers for a team place never goes down well. It causes resentment among other players who are not campaigning and puts pressure on managers who feel that if they pick the campaigner they're asking for similar tactics from other players and/or their agents/friends etc. plus those actions will foster annoyance from those who just get their heads down and let the manager make his own choice.

In this age of internet communication there are even campaigns on sites like these and don't think they're not read within the club because they are.

Canvassing for players on here has been widespread going right back to Kaebi from personal memory.  These may well involve associates of players and seemingly do at times.  

You mention Gray yet his veiled canvassing for game time was there to be listened to in his after-match interview just as there was "evidence" involving otherr  players at other times, which was well documented - or persistently implied - at the time.

As for the thread being about Iborra I was giving a viewpoint related to our signing and reported interested in more experienced players. It seemed entirely relevent to me.

It was you who put two and two together and made five in relation to Gray...for all that his actions are as relevent as others I was referring too and are even being further referred to on News Now only this morning.        

So no proof then that other players are annoyed by (for example) Gray saying "I am frustrated and would like to play more and need to work hard?" X  I think you are putting your feelings of annoyance about players "canvassing for playing time" onto others? Look, I think you talk a lot of sense sometimes and you probably think I am annoying for pulling you up I just find it odd sometimes that certain players seem to get stick when it seems that they don't deserve it?  If Gray said "I am better than Albrighton and deserve to play" then I agree with you 100% but he has only really ever said he is frustrated.  You then assume this is all talk and he doesn't work hard on the training ground like other players.  I see it differently.  I think he should be cut a little slack, he is young, he is interviewed and posed questions by journalists looking for headlines.  Sure maybe it is not the wisest move but I have never seen much malice in it.  Gray is playing for a Premier League team and England U21s at the age of 20.  I would argue that proves he has a level of professionalism more than many youngsters.

Anyway, back to Iborra.  I definitely would if he offered!

X

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

So you open with this as a first line of your retort to basically one of the most amenable guys on the forum and actually expect anybody to bother reading what follows...

Maybe you should follow your own advice and have some quiet time reflecting on your own outbursts never mind Demarai's.

I love you too big guy. X

On 07/07/2017 at 15:27, toddybad said:

I was slightly underwhelmed since he's seemingly not our creative midfield link, and nor does he have the pace for fast counter attacking, but the experience of winning the Europa league and playing against Barca, Real and Athletico not to mention his goal scoring talents is hard to grumble about.

This is a superb signing.

The Premier League demands a mature player who can think quickly and make informed decisions with the football when tiny fractions of a second are vital. 

Iborra is that man. And is still in his prime at 29. Scored the equivalent of 8 goals a season at Sevilla so also carries a threat in the final third. 

I remember when we signed Josh Low. From Josh Low to Iborra in a relatively short space of time.

WOW we are massive! 

By half time against the Arse his whole City career will be defined for him - if he sets up 3 goals, does 100 tackles and heads a couple off the line, he will have a chance of being accepted , any less and he will be a waste of money and spend the rest of the season having his foibles dissected regularly throughout each match day thread and then be slagged off the entire week after every game, apart from three people who will stand up for him even if he is actually shit. Tis written and thus shall be........ (applies to all new signings)

On 7/8/2017 at 22:03, maddog said:

This is a superb signing.

The Premier League demands a mature player who can think quickly and make informed decisions with the football when tiny fractions of a second are vital. 

Iborra is that man. And is still in his prime at 29. Scored the equivalent of 8 goals a season at Sevilla so also carries a threat in the final third. 

I remember when we signed Josh Low. From Josh Low to Iborra in a relatively short space of time.

WOW we are massive! 

I getcha on Iborra.

However, this Josh Low stuff really is nonsense. It's years ago since Josh Low played at Leicester and we are in a completely different place now. What we do now is the important thing, not comparing us to 2006. That's 11 years ago ffs.

lol

Trivial question, but how tall is he? I've seen reference to him being 6"5, other places 6"3.

I have no other reason to ask other than being bored this Monday afternoon lol.

From Shakespeare himself:

"With Vicente, he is one the recruitment department have had earmarked for a while.

Then to meet him and see him out in training, his pedigree is there for all to see.

We spoke about what he brings, the leadership qualities, but what came across when I spoke to him was his aims and hopes. He wants to be a team player, he is not an individual.

Those are values I rate very highly as a manager."

Link: 

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/live-leicester-city-news-and-transfer-rumours/story-30440303-detail/story.html#Zv19hbDABpJJ1dry.99

Some of us speculated that he might have been a highly targeted signing based on it coming out of nowhere and having strengths that make ideal for Leicester (wins a ton of aerial duels, physically immense, great finishing, known to be a clinical finisher on the counter attack). Seems like Shakespeare confirms this is true, and that makes me excited as a certain French lad called Kante was brought in on this basis too, although he had different qualities.

Also they happened to randomly replaying Sevilla vs Juventus at my gym this morning, a game where Iborra started. He acquitted himself very well and it was interesting to see him play knowing he was now a LCFC player. He actually played further forwards than Nzonzi who was the sitting midfielder and what impressed me was both his composure and passing ability. He had an almost Drinkwater (when he's good) style to his play being a lot more dynamic and box-to-box than I expected. The biggest difference was that he played it short, cross-field and going for one-two's rather than pumping it long all the time. Not surprising given the different styles of Sevilla and Leicester, but wanted to point it out all the same. Some of us thought that passing might be where he is suspect, but compared to the rest of our team, he will likely be one of out strongest!

I agree with les-tah above; I think this could turn out to be a great signing for us and gives us another quality option to compete in the middle of the park. Last season when Drinkwater had his injury and subsequent loss in form, we plummeted down the league. Now I feel like we have options in that area. Let's see how he goes in pre-season, he will be an exciting one to watch.

On 7/10/2017 at 16:01, Lovejoy said:

Trivial question, but how tall is he? I've seen reference to him being 6"5, other places 6"3.

I have no other reason to ask other than being bored this Monday afternoon lol.

Let's just say 190 cm. Still shorter than Huth though.

I know he's only just moved to a new country/language/team/league/playing philosophy etc about 4 days ago without the benefit of a week's training beforehand, but based on the brief social media clips of him in Austria so far, he seems to be way behind on pace/sharpness compared to everyone else. Hope he gets up to speed soon! :)

Drinky looks really good in the preseason clips so far. I'd be surprised if Drinky/Ndidi don't start against Arsenal with Iborra on the bench.

14 hours ago, brucey said:

I know he's only just moved to a new country/language/team/league/playing philosophy etc about 4 days ago without the benefit of a week's training beforehand, but based on the brief social media clips of him in Austria so far, he seems to be way behind on pace/sharpness compared to everyone else. Hope he gets up to speed soon! :)

Drinky looks really good in the preseason clips so far. I'd be surprised if Drinky/Ndidi don't start against Arsenal with Iborra on the bench.

The 30 second clips you get of everyone training shows he's way behind in sharpness/pace..????

Archived