Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Iborra Signs

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Iborra was ok, I praised him in the match thread several times... but I praised James far more. I just watch the game and call what I see, so far James has impressed me more as he's offered more at both ends of the pitch.

Iborra will have his uses, trying to strangle games or see games out. I can't see how his style fits into our usual 442, so I can't see him starting unless we change that.

3 hours ago, DrezZone said:

So you basically think that Barcelona and Real Madrid are the only good teams in Spain. 

What about Atletico Madrid? The thorn in Barca and Real's feet since Simeone took over.

Athletic Bilbao, Villarreal, and Real Sociedad are tough teams to beat. They're like the Spanish "Everton".

Also, a big team could slip to a mid-table team or a relegation candidate team, ex: Barcelona vs Deportivo Alaves, Deportivo la Coruna, and Malaga; Real Madrid vs Las Palmas, Valencia, and Eibar. 

As you can see, Sevilla has a lot of teams to worry about and they can't only have 4 tough games a season. (home/away vs Barca and Real)

Clearly the fact I was being completely sarcastic was missed on both of you - I thought that's why we have the :ph34r: emoticon?! 

Babs, bit disappointed you missed it, you've got pretty intense and serious recently!

31 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Clearly the fact I was being completely sarcastic was missed on both of you - I thought that's why we have the :ph34r: emoticon?! 

Babs, bit disappointed you missed it, you've got pretty intense and serious recently!

TBH, sarcasm is sometimes hard to pick up when reading. :P 

6 hours ago, seenitall said:

Love that this guy who has yet to play a competitive game for us and has won Eufa cup 3 times is garbage already - this is a new record I think, it's going to be a long season for the fella even if he is the new Kante I fear. If I were him I'd have a transfer request in already and try to get to a club where you get a few games to see if you are any good before the 'fans' turn on you - amazing stuff FT, definitely the best f**king off a player we have had yet - not far away now surely from screaming get rid for a new signing before they even pose for the scarf/shirt pic?

I've not seen much in the way of proclamations that Iborra is rubbish? More that based on his performances to date, he hasnt yet shown he's better than James. Mainly the recent responses have been to point this out, sticking up for a lad who has come back from a major injury and yet seems to be written off by some despite having clear ability IMO. I hope Iborra smashes it and becomes a major player in our midfield and I hope James does too. 

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Im not sure how this applies to my post and, for the record, my post wasnt aimed at you.

I was more projecting my thinking and what I'd done onto what I believe others have been doing as well. More, of a "I think we've been doing x rather than z". I've seen plenty of fair comments on his negatives and positives.

I'd be interested in seeing him in a two, at the moment I'm not 100% sure the lack of dynamism isn't down to being told to just sit, rather than him being totally incapable of being so. He played some very smart balls first half especially, which is promising.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

No, it's his performances that are gaining him merit. He's been the standout CM pre season by some distance for me.

If Iborra continues to perform how he is, I'm going to continue to be underwhelmed by him.

You keep going on about James not being good enough like it's fact. He was keeping DD out of the team and rightly so first season up. He's always been a mile better than King. He's only ever been in the team fleetingly when the manager and players got it together at the end of the first season before his injury.

If he gets back to his best there is no reason he can't progress to the amount Simpson, DD, Wes, Albrighton etc did when played correctly.

Why do people keep saying this?? ... Drinkwater started the season regular - he played against Everton 2-2 first game, United 5-3 game etc...(James was among the subs in these games).

I can't remember when James got into the team but he didn't play more than Drinkwater. Well, on paper he played two more but that's become he came off the bench a lot. James and Hammond were consistently on the bench when we first came up.

Please tell me the game in which James first gets into the starting 11 because I've just been through the first two three months and the best he does is come off the bench every game. The Burnley 2-2 game where he gave the last min free kick away - again, off of the bench approx 77 mins. James started the game at Newcastle away and was then dropped for the next game at Swansea. Drinkwater played 90mins regularly. 

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Why do people keep saying this?? ... Drinkwater started the season regular - he played against Everton 2-2 first game, United 5-3 game etc...(James was among the subs in these games).

I can't remember when James got into the team but he didn't play more than Drinkwater. Well, on paper he played two more but that's become he came off the bench a lot. James and Hammond were consistently on the bench when we first came up.

Please tell me the game in which James first gets into the starting 11 because I've just been through the first two three months and the best he does is come off the bench every game. The Burnley 2-2 game where he gave the last min free kick away - again, off of the bench approx 77 mins. James started the game at Newcastle away and was then dropped for the next game at Swansea. Drinkwater played 90mins regularly. 

I think what people are trying to say is that as the season went on, James was preferred to DD..

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think what people are trying to say is that as the season went on, James was preferred to DD..

But he wasn't.

We beat WBA 2 3 with James playing, the next game (Swansea) he doesn't play. The next game Burnley 0-1 he comes on for Drinkwater in the 77th min. The next game is the Chelsea defeat, again Drinkwater plays with Cambiasso (James is on the bench). The next two games sees James start (Newcastle H, Southampton H) but sadly he is injured in the Saints game.

He wasn't 'preferred' to Drinkwater at all. In fact I'd say we rotated them as much as we rotated Hammond and King. The only ever present really was Cambiasso.

2 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Don't think you're understanding the point I'm making. I couldn't give a shit if he's from Sevilla or Burnely I'm just saying that it's onl loyalty to James' past seasons that's gaining him merit now despite the fact he isn't really good enough to start for us. The point about Burnley was if James was linked with us now from whichever club as a fanbase we would be massively underwhelmed due to not having previous loyalties in relation to his ability

What on earth has given you that idea?

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

But he wasn't.

We beat WBA 2 3 with James playing, the next game (Swansea) he doesn't play. The next game Burnley 0-1 he comes on for Drinkwater in the 77th min. The next game is the Chelsea defeat, again Drinkwater plays with Cambiasso (James is on the bench). The next two games sees James start (Newcastle H, Southampton H) but sadly he is injured in the Saints game.

He wasn't 'preferred' to Drinkwater at all. In fact I'd say we rotated them as much as we rotated Hammond and King. The only ever present really was Cambiasso.

Wouldn't go that far. Pretty much from the start of November, James was ever present, bar a few games. Drinkwater picked up an injury first game of the season, hence Hammond then being bought in. From the end of January until the middle of April, Drinkwater didn't get a sniff.

I think most people remember James more than Drinkwater that season is because of the extended run he had from November onwards. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

But he wasn't.

He started 20 games to Drinkwaters 16, playing in total nearly 400 minutes that season more than DD. And that is despite having a couple of injuries making him miss a fair amount of games. The definition of preferred being "tend to choose". I think it's fair to say the person picking up the most minutes was the preferred choice.

The point is, DD kicked on and improved as the whole team did. Yet people seem to think James is incapable of doing the same, when in fact it's more than possible who could. He might not, but how on earth people can categorically state he won't is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

He started 20 games to Drinkwaters 16, playing in total nearly 400 minutes that season more than DD. And that is despite having a couple of injuries making him miss a fair amount of games. The definition of preferred being "tend to choose". I think it's fair to say the person picking up the most minutes was the preferred choice.

The point is, DD kicked on and improved as the whole team did. Yet people seem to think James is incapable of doing the same, when in fact it's more than possible who could. He might not, but how on earth people can categorically state he won't is beyond me.

I do agree with you I wasn't comparing the two.

5 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

What on earth has given you that idea?

Well I'm not sure why so many people rave about M James when I for one wouldn't be particularly delighted should he start against Arsenal first game of the season

39 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Well I'm not sure why so many people rave about M James when I for one wouldn't be particularly delighted should he start against Arsenal first game of the season

Sorry but I'm still yet to see a good explanation from anyone why Matty James is not good enough for our starting line up.

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

People rave about him for the following reasons. He's got great technique. Can beat his man 1 on 1. Great passing range. Plays forwards whenever possible. Tackles back. Good team player -  very good at building partnerships - Mahrez and Drinky work well with him. 

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

With the possibility of not having Adrien until January, Iborra suddenly becomes a prominent member of the team when fit. I'm hoping he'll be a real asset when he gets a run of games.

Hopefully he can get fit asap and form a good partnership with Ndidi.

Very uneasy about having to play James til January otherwise.

On 8/2/2017 at 19:06, funkyrobot said:

People rave about him for the following reasons. He's got great technique. Can beat his man 1 on 1. Great passing range. Plays forwards whenever possible. Tackles back. Good team player -  very good at building partnerships - Mahrez and Drinky work well with him. 

"Mahrez and Drinky work well with him" - do they, really?  In the one season they were all together at Premier League level they, and the whole team, were for the most part really crap.  Hence our position at the bottom of the table for most of the season.

I don't remember James ever beating a man 1 on 1 but maybe i missed that one time.  

There is no doubt that Iborra should, I say should cos' you never know with Shakespeare, be a first-team regular whenever he is fit.

56 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

"Mahrez and Drinky work well with him" - do they, really?  In the one season they were all together at Premier League level they, and the whole team, were for the most part really crap.  Hence our position at the bottom of the table for most of the season.

I don't remember James ever beating a man 1 on 1 but maybe i missed that one time.  

There is no doubt that Iborra should, I say should cos' you never know with Shakespeare, be a first-team regular whenever he is fit.

Not disputing that Iborra may be a first team regular although until he plays for us, there's no guarantee he won't be another Inler so I reserve judgement, despite his pedigree. 

Your continuing disparaging comments about James are, I assume, because you simply haven't seen much of him (assuming you are indeed USA based). He has the ability to beat his man and he has demonstrated this on a number of occasions. He actively looks to involve Mahrez whenever possible (like Drinky used to) and there is good interplay between the 2 of them. You forget that in the season when they were, as you say 'crap', they also became almost unplayable and stayed up with ease with James playing a significant role. I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, hence the omission. I accept that James is yet to hit  his top form since this season has started but tbf none of them have except probably Schmeichel and Maguire. When Silva is finally ratified as a signing there'll be even more competition and he, like NDidi & Iborra will need to step up to ensure regular game time. 

Archived