Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Matty James to ......?

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Wasn't James suspended 2 or 3 times that season and also injured which may account for him missing some games.

Anyway they're both good players in their own right, i just think James has a that little extra to his all round game. Hopefully he has a good preseason and we'll get to see him back soon. is it next week the friendly's start .?

Not quite sure of the POTW but he certainly had a good season.

James wasn't ditched, he was actually doing better at the time of his injury. He and Cambi were working well together.

I'd just like to see us give him a real chance here before making a final decision on his future with us.

Are you Matt James? 

Drinkwater has lead the team to a Prem title mate, James helped us escape relegation.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

On the evidence of his performances in the Championship when we came up. He was the one player we had who showed the quality required to make it in the Premiership.

If memory serves me right DD wasn't even selected for quite a while during that season.

DD wad the best midfielder in the division during our championship winning season. In fact possibly the best player full stop.

5 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Are you Matt James? 

Drinkwater has lead the team to a Prem title mate, James helped us escape relegation.

No i'm certainly not but I do have an affinity to him as someone who had a very promising career ended through injury.

DD certainly played his part but I think most people accept that it was Kante who was the force behind our success. 

28 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Got to give the bloke a chance. Worst case scenario he isn't up to it and we sell in January. Best case scenario, he saves us millions.

I've no particular opinion on James but you've not "got to give him" anything. Whether Shakespeare likes him or not, just like Drinkwater he needs to weigh up whether the player can still do a good job for us or not.

Far too many managers over the years have stuck with players who have done well for them but who drifted past their best. 

Don't mistake me - I'm not for one moment presuming the current capabilities of either player.

I'm just saying managers need to base their decisions on what they see rather than their emotions.     

3 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

No i'm certainly not but I do have an affinity to him as someone who had a very promising career ended through injury.

DD certainly played his part but I think most people accept that it was Kante who was the force behind our success. 

That explains your views on him then, I'm not saying he is a bad player just the way the team is setup to play now days he would not add anything that would make us a better team...

We should be looking at moving forwards not sideways.

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Kante was the force behind everything.

20 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Are you Matt James? 

And? Matty James never had the chance to did he.

The under appreciation of how good James can actually be never ceases to amaze me. He's not without faults of course, he can't shoot for shit and has always been a little fragile, I won't say injury prone because he's always played a good amount of games, but certainly not as robust as DD is.

This is from the championship promotion season...

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 12.59.00.png

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The under appreciation of how good James can actually be never ceases to amaze me. He's not without faults of course, he can't shoot for shit and has always been a little fragile, I won't say injury prone because he's always played a good amount of games, but certainly not as robust as DD is.

Defensively he is better, but you can't tell me that we would have won the league with James in the middle instead of DD, DD has much more to his game.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Suggests considerable limitations to both players. 

28 minutes ago, Thracian said:

I've no particular opinion on James but you've not "got to give him" anything. Whether Shakespeare likes him or not, just like Drinkwater he needs to weigh up whether the player can still do a good job for us or not.

Far too many managers over the years have stuck with players who have done well for them but who drifted past their best. 

Don't mistake me - I'm not for one moment presuming the current capabilities of either player.

I'm just saying managers need to base their decisions on what they see rather than their emotions.     

What are you saying, he shouldn't be given a chance to prove he is good enough. A fit Matty James is better than King And Amartey, and probably Mendy. So I would suggest he does need the chance to show what he can do.

6 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Defensively he is better, but you can't tell me that we would have won the league with James in the middle instead of DD, DD has much more to his game.

Except James averaged more assists, more chances created, more tackles, more interceptions, better in the air. I like both of them equally, but James seems to get under appreciated far more because he doesn't try the hollywood pass 20 times a game.

I can't tell you what we would or wouldn't have done with James instead of DD, neither can you. All I know is what I see with my eyes and the stats seem to back up what I thought I saw. James was every inch as good as DD, different, but equally as good.

So Drinkwater was our stand out in the championship, James got the better of him in our survival season, but of course the injury meant Drinkwater came in. He then lead us to a title and a brilliant champions league campaign, and all of a sudden James should just walk back in? No.

Just now, MGLCFC said:

What are you saying, he shouldn't be given a chance to prove he is good enough. A fit Matty James is better than King And Amartey, and probably Mindy. So I would suggest he does need the chance to show what he can do.

Nono Nono.

Just now, M0901 said:

So Drinkwater was our stand out in the championship, James got the better of him in our survival season, but of course the injury meant Drinkwater came in. He then lead us to a title and a brilliant champions league campaign, and all of a sudden James should just walk back in? No.

Literally not a single f***** person has said he should walk back into the team. What people have argued against is those saying he should be sold as he's not good enough. All people want is for him to be given a fair chance, fully fit and back to how we was I'm convinced he's more than good enough to push for a starting position.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Literally not a single f***** person has said he should walk back into the team. What people have argued against is those saying he should be sold as he's not good enough. All people want is for him to be given a fair chance, fully fit and back to how we was I'm convinced he's more than good enough to push for a starting position.

Agree

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Except James averaged more assists, more chances created, more tackles, more interceptions, better in the air. I like both of them equally, but James seems to get under appreciated far more because he doesn't try the hollywood pass 20 times a game.

I can't tell you what we would or wouldn't have done with James instead of DD, neither can you. All I know is what I see with my eyes and the stats seem to back up what I thought I saw. James was every inch as good as DD, different, but equally as good.

It's he combined lack of goals/assists that bother me for both players, together with their weakness in the air given that so much of our game is played in the air and with the inevitable waste and frustration.

Either way the boss should know by the time pre-season's finished who's good enough and who needs replacing.      

Our team for the first game against Arsenal needs to be filled with people who are good enough and on top form - and the bench as well.

The "chances" (for everyone) should come in the Hong Kong tournament and confirmation, perhaps, in the friendlies to follow.    

Archived