Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Matty James to ......?

7 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

We've done alright without him for two years. Very average player, will do him well to move on and play every week.

First season we were incredibly lucky with injuries. The first half of last season we were crying out for another centre midfielder. I guess the average part is subjective but I'm unable to think of a season where he's been anything less than good. 

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

Hmm, Championship stats and been injured ever since. I'm not convinced he will ever be a first team regular here, probably good for him to move on. The CM's we have beyond him will be in a battled for places as it is and I still think we need an attacking mid.

He was every bit as good as the likes of Wes, Drinky, Vardy in the championship and his stats were the best in the first prem season also in cm.

We don't need the money, so let's give him the chance. It's more than possible he's better than King, Mendy, Amartey at least if fit. Iborra totally unproven in this league and he kept DD out before and rightly so.

What we got to lose? At best we have someone actually capable of being a serious contender for a staring spot.

He proves his fitness he'll be worth twice that at least anyway. So if it turns out he's not good enough for us, sell him on then.

Can't see this, James will be part of our squad next season. Crucially, Shakespeare knows all about him and how well-regarded he is, if we'd recruited a manager externally it might be a different situation but would be very surprised if he leaves now.

1 hour ago, dylanlegend said:

I would probably take 8mill. He's a quality player but is he really gonna get in ahead of Drinky, Ndidi, Iborra, Mendy, King, Amartey, Barnes. 

The last 5 in that list have hardly proved themselves worthy ye themselves, when he was fit he was better than the last 3 or 4 without question.

To the people saying loan him out, what exactly is that going to achieve? We either commit to giving him regular game time here (unlikely) or move him on for a decent fee for the good of his career. Those are the only two options in my book.

He was very decent for us before the injuries but now we've moved on since then. Would love him to stick around and try to squeeze himself back into the squad but let's face it, it's highly doubtful. Too much competition and we have better players now. A move would be best for him so that he can start playing games again. Bump the price up a little and let him go. 

1 hour ago, buzzer_b said:

He was very decent for us before the injuries but now we've moved on since then. Would love him to stick around and try to squeeze himself back into the squad but let's face it, it's highly doubtful. Too much competition and we have better players now. A move would be best for him so that he can start playing games again. Bump the price up a little and let him go. 

We haven't moved on have we though. The starting 11 still contains Vardy, Mahrez, Albrighton, Drinkwater, Simpson, Wes, Huth and Kasper. 8 players still starting who played with him the first season. We only finished what, two places better off this season. We might have moved on position wise for one season, but nothing else has moved on other than people expectations. The rest is back where it was.

Fit he's better than King, Amartey and quite possibly Mendy. We have no idea how good Iborra is or isn't. He could find himself third pick for CM quite easily.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

We haven't moved on have we though. The starting 11 still contains Vardy, Mahrez, Albrighton, Drinkwater, Simpson, Wes, Huth and Kasper. 8 players still starting who played with him the first season. We only finished what, two places better off this season. We might have moved on position wise for one season, but nothing else has moved on other than people expectations. The rest is back where it was.

Fit he's better than King, Amartey and quite possibly Mendy. We have no idea how good Iborra is or isn't. He could find himself third pick for CM quite easily.

Wanna plus one but can't. 

People saying get rid because he only played in the great escape team must've forgotten most of them won the league too.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

He had a major injury, before that he played regularly. He's hardly a sick note FFS, why do people feel the need to label people sick notes on the back of a major injury. Same with Mendy despite the fact before that he'd played a shit load of games without any issues.

James for me has always been a far more all round footballer than Drinkwater, another player who seems to suffer because he doesn't try hollywood balls every 5 minutes. His stats in our promotion season were top notch. If he can get back to his best he'd be ahead of at least three of our current CM's and possibly more.

We don't need £10m, so give the bloke his chance to prove he's return from injury.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#championship/2013/2014/matthew_james/93/93/10694/315/p|championship/2013/2014/daniel_drinkwater/93/93/10693/0/p#assists/chances_created/tackles_won/interceptions/pass_completion#90

Totally correct Baby.

He was the better of the two in the Championship winning season with Drinkwater.

He hardly ever gave the ball away.

When Jaymo was not playing Drinks was a shadow of the player he was with him in. 

No way should be be sold ahead of King or Amartey That would be total madness.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I'm open to having James back in the squad but he has had two major injuries which might make him the player he once was. I agree with the Amartey and King comment though. Hope he gets back to full fitness and proves his worth once again to the team. 

16 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Big mistake if we sell him now if he doesn't get played this season then fine let him go next year. Also in the market he has to be worth 14M+ 

You seriously have to be on a windup.  You can't honestly believe that he is worth anywhere close to 14M.  That is an absolute joke.

3 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

To the people saying loan him out, what exactly is that going to achieve? We either commit to giving him regular game time here (unlikely) or move him on for a decent fee for the good of his career. Those are the only two options in my book.

EXACTLY!  

3 hours ago, Corky said:

James will be part of our squad next season

That's a scary thought.  

4 hours ago, chicagofox said:

That's a scary thought.  

Why is it a scary thought? 

He might not have been a superstar in the great escape season, but who was? All of that team have improved with as they gained PL experience, and most of them are still here. 

Having a long term injury doesn't turn him into a worse player. 

4 hours ago, chicagofox said:

Agreed.  But unless it turns you in to a better player then we don't need him.  

Did you read the rest of my previous post? 

We have N'Didi, Iborra and Drinkwater at CM. King as adequate backup. Why not have James too? At least he's likely like a competent midfielder unlike Amartey. That is by no means a terrible 5 to take into the season in a 4 man midfield. If we plan on playing 3 centrally then we'd need another but James and King are more than capable 4th and 5th choices (5th and 6th should we play 3 CMs).

4 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Some players never really recover to the same level from those kind of injuries. 

I understand that and completely agree. People writing him off because of it though isn't right either. 

If we sold him, would we be able to sign reliable cover for such a modest price? I doubt it. 

13 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Some players never really recover to the same level from those kind of injuries. 

If he doesn't, then we sell him. Because there will be plenty of takers in Jan still. Barnsley thought he was god like during his loan, so let's leave it to the manger to decide. He'll have all the training data to compare against already to know if he's close to being as strong and fit as he was. He'll see him in training etc. 

Archived