Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

How long have you been a Leicester City fan?

My Dad took me to my first game in 1999. Went to watch us lose 2-1 at home to Derby and Leeds, but can't remember which was first. 

Got my first season ticket in League One, but had to give it up before 2013/14. Got one back just in time for the title winning season lol 

15 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Born '68. Remember getting my first kit in the late 70's after family moved to Aberdeen. Didn't go down well at all with the locals in those days.

Been a city fan for over 40 years. Proud to be a Fox. I've seen some highs and lows at the club but have and will always stay loyal to LCFC. 

Just now, Johnthefoxrayner said:
20 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Born '68. Remember getting my first kit in the late 70's after family moved to Aberdeen. Didn't go down well at all with the locals in those days.

1 minute ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Been a city fan for over 40 years. Proud to be a Fox. I've seen some highs and lows at the club but have and will always stay loyal to LCFC. 

Not sure why you quoted me to make your post.

My Dad won tickets and took me to watch Leicester beat Sunderland in 2000, since that day I've been hooked, I remember the drive home as I told my Dad that is my club now and who I want to support and that when I get home I was going to get rid of my Liverpool stuff

I was either 7 or 8 (61 or 62 years ago) when my uncle Dennis took me along with my cousin Anthony to my first game, I don't remember who we were playing and I can remember the atmosphere was great. I was passed over the heads by fans to the front of the crowd...they couldn't do that now....I'd need to loose a great deal of weight lol. As someone else posted in this thread, my eyesight was poor so the first few years I couldn't really focus on the players although I got to know a few by size and movement, like Howard Riley easy to spot due to his lack of height, Ken Keyworth always hanging around the goalmouth, Colin Appleton (could spot his ears from 2 miles away) It was a great moment when I got my first pair of glasses and I could watch the game properly. The next few years were magic for being a Leicester supporter, and I consider myself privileged to have survived long enough to see us win the Premiership (still the First Division in my eyes).  Although I moved away from Leicester before I was 20 and have lived in a number of locations, I've never considered supporting another club...and never will.

Started following in 1977 / 1978 when I was 6 years old. A relegation season under Frank McClintock where we seemed to lose every week. The saying at the time was that McClintock has 'set the city back 10 years'. It was a pretty crap start really but I've come to realise that it's held me in pretty good stead for the rest of my Leicester supporting life as well as the wider disappointments of life.

1 hour ago, Worthington said:

If your 'debut' was in that bloody season, you deserve praise for not jacking it in straight away.

A bunch of us went to nearly every game that season, and dire would be a flattering way to describe our football!

McLintock seemed set on ditching all our star names and replacing them with his 'buddies'.

Eddie Kelly worked to some extent, but David Webb and Geordie Armstrong certainly didn't. Selling Frankie and replacing him with Alan bloody Waddle was pure lunacy....proven when he signed Roger Davis a few weeks later to replace Waddle! As for replacing 'Wells' with Lammie sodding Robertson!!!!!!.

FMcL also alienated Steve Earle , Jon Sammels, Brian Alderson, Jeff Blockley and Larry May...Genius!

Introduced 'kids' under pressure.... Remember him picking Kevin Farmer at Ipswich to end our 'goal shortage'...It was just before Christmas and we'd scored 7 or 8 all season at that point! Poor Farmer was totally overawed, got taken off and was never seen again!

Those who think Holloway or Pleat were poor managers needed to have suffered 77-78 to realise just how clueless a manager can be!

I didn't actually go to my first game until Jock came in and there appeared to be a new hope around the place even though we were struggling at that point.

The 79 / 80 season is still one of my favourites with big games (it seemed then) against Birmingham City, Chelsea, Newcastle and Sunderland. Great times for a young lad.

Of the top of my head about 94-95 I think.

My dad took me to FNF games because he got free tickets, before then I believe he was a football fan but never 'had a team' anyway he took me as a 'father/son' thing.

I'm gutted I can't remember the ins and outs of my first 'proper' game, I think it was Ipswich on a Boxing Day but it was snowed off, I remember crossing Upperton Road with loads of people coming away from the ground telling us it'd been snowed off but we didn't believe them...it was. 

Now I don't know whether the rearrangement was my first game or not but another game that sticks in my mind was against Huddersfield (god know if it was/when it was).

My dad died in 1998, I've obviously carried on going and he was the first person I thought of and thanked when we won the Premier League because he could have so easily took me to see Coventry!! :crylaugh::nono: :sweating::worship: 

Bury @ home FAC 1975/76 with my Dad (RIP) and my little brother (50th bday Aug who is now a Forest fan and Wigan RL ffs).

Proper Fever Pitch moment for me, i'd been on at him to take me - I was 10 back then - completely hooked.  Two seasons later was going on my own with a mate and didnt miss a home game until 1989 when i moved to Newcastle with my first wife. Missed a trick when we divorced and now have geordie kids and grandkids, Fox Till I Die, Loved every minute except the relegation to L1 but even from afar the love never fades :scarf:

On 20/07/2017 at 13:38, pSinatra said:

1979-80 season was when I properly started going, as an 8 year old.

My Dad got a season ticket on the cheap, as he knew a couple of players.  Dennis Rofe was our next-door-neighbour.  There used to be a newsagents on Aylestone Road & the owner used to board a few of the apprentices.  To earn a bit of extra cash, the apprentices would sell their tickets.  We had comfy seats, right in the middle of the members stand.

Started going down with my mates when I was about 15.  I think it was 1987 in the Family Enclosure.  I seem to remember it costing £1.20

1979-80 season for me as well (I was 9)

notts county away, City won 1-0

regular home games probs from around 1982 onwards

Dunno really, I moved here with my parents after living all over the place but loved football and just went down on my own one day.

( I stood in the away pen!) (Leicester beat Liverpool in a cup match). ( But I hated David Pleat).

I suppose a time came when I'd put in too many hours of watching but can't say a real date.

Actually the day Pleat went or more accurately the appointment of Brian Little. The moment when Leicester scored and I went nuts for the first time:

Used to watch the teleprinter on a Saturday evening and I remember frank o'farrell joining and then leaving for some team t'up north In the 1960s.  My first game was against villa in Jan 1977, seem to recall Andy gray getting the winner. Have been a regular since 1986. I made sure that my kids were city fans and I still go down with my son. The book of photos of the last year at filbert street includes a cracking picture of me and my son watching Robbie fowler's third goal. I think he was the top scorer at filbert street that season, a sad end to a crap ground but one that I loved - it had been the scene of so many memories - goal fest with Shrewsbury, Tony James goal against oxford and our constant yo yo team. We really never have had it so good as we do now- and working in Liverpool has made the ,last two years so sweet ???

Since the early 90's for me when Brian Little was in charge when I was about 8 years old. I was born and bred in Leicester, I couldn't support anyone else as my first team. I now also go to watch some Lincoln home games and they are very much my 2nd team but that is because I now live in that area. 

During O'Neils last year in 1999/2000. 

Was brought up a Rangers fan (Being Scottish) but was getting to the age where I was starting to realise what being a Rangers fan meant (13) and what the songs I was singing meant and was starting to drift away from them. Was visiting family in Brauny and got took to Filbert street for a game.... Not looked back since. Only time I've been on Ibrox after that was for Scotland games.

Archived