Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

How long have you been a Leicester City fan?

Parents aren't into football so took me a little longer to fall in love with Leicester than it might have done. It was the season we were runners up to Portsmouth that I got into it, but it was Lilian Nalis's goal against Leeds the following year that I caught the bug, aged about 10.

Always - never felt I had a choice. First game would have been aged 11 or 12, so would have been either 57/58, or 58/59 - my older brother took me when he came home on leave from the Navy. Can't remember who City played, but I do remember the atmosphere. We stood half way up on the right hand side of the kop (looking at the pitch). Later, when I started to go on my own, I preferred the popular (?) stand.

Thanks to my dad I've never known anything else. Ever since I could kick a ball it has always been LCFC. 

My first senior game was the first match at the Walkers (as it was then) against Watford I believe (I think we won 4-0). But I had been to plenty of FNF fixtures at Filbert Street before that with my dad. 

1 hour ago, ultrafox said:

Born 1963. Been a fan since 68 when first went to primary school. 

My first match was vs Stoke. March 73. Can't remember much except that it was very soon after Gordon Banks had his car accident and I remember John Farmer was in goal for Stoke instead of Banks.

Second match was the classic vs Leeds Oct 1973. (2-2). (the one Birch always goes on about with his 20 /30/40/ 50 yard goal  -the distance goes up every year! ;). But it was a beauty!. The highlights were on an old LCFC Classics video...and I can be seen with my dad in the East stand close to SK1.

I was a regular at Filbo eversince, until I moved to Luxembourg in 1999, but come back every season for a few games. Still a member.

Leicester til I die. :scarf:

That's uncanny, those were my first two matches too!

Born in 1964, went to the Stoke match with my best mate from primary school, then my dad took me to the Leeds game. He was an Arsenal fan, being from London, but always took me to a couple of Leicester games a season. The irony is that now my eldest son, born in London, is a Gooner, and I take him to a couple of Arsenal games a season - repaying the favour to my old man, in a roundabout way.

My youngest boy has more sense and supports Leicester.

5 minutes ago, SouthLondonFox said:

That's uncanny, those were my first two matches too!

Born in 1964, went to the Stoke match with my best mate from primary school, then my dad took me to the Leeds game. He was an Arsenal fan, being from London, but always took me to a couple of Leicester games a season. The irony is that now my eldest son, born in London, is a Gooner, and I take him to a couple of Arsenal games a season - repaying the favour to my old man, in a roundabout way.

My youngest boy has more sense and supports Leicester.

I recall that the Leeds match was the BIG one that season, and everyone at school said they were going (though they couldn't all have). So I nagged my Dad to take me and after a few tantrums and tears, he backed down.  Hugh Johns and the Star Soccer cameras were there, which also meant there would be a special rare appearence of a Leicester match on TV, albeit highlights on a Sunday afternoon after the Sunday roast.

This should bring back some memories  (not great quality).

Birth. There was no way my old man was letting me grow up any other way (cheers dad- I pity any Leicester lad who took the easy option as a kid, supported one of the big clubs and didn't get to experience 2015/16).

First game- City 2-3 Palace, 1995

The first game I properly remember was beating Derby in the playoffs. I went to a few games before that but I don't really remember them. The atmosphere surrounding that play off final, seeing all the flags and scarves on cars going down the M1 is what got me hooked. 

1 hour ago, ultrafox said:

I recall that the Leeds match was the BIG one that season, and everyone at school said they were going (though they couldn't all have). So I nagged my Dad to take me and after a few tantrums and tears, he backed down.  Hugh Johns and the Star Soccer cameras were there, which also meant there would be a special rare appearence of a Leicester match on TV, albeit highlights on a Sunday afternoon after the Sunday roast.

Yep, I'll never forget the sense of injustice I felt when they took the free kick quickly for the equaliser... 

Since the late 70's but went to my first match in 82 . I was 12 and sneaked into town on the bus wih my mate after saving up pocket money . Always remember  the roar as we were walking into the kop as a 12 year old i about shat myself . Oh and I remember paying about £2.50 to get in and leaving with more money than I went with as I kept picking coins up that the away fans were bombarding us with . 

2 hours ago, ultrafox said:

Hugh Johns was the worst commentator in history, I'd rather listen to Stringer.

15 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Hugh Johns was so bad he was good. We use to affectionately refer to him as HUGE ONES !

I remember him commentating on the World Cup when West Germany were playing. "Karl......... Heinz............ Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumerniggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!" :D he was absolutely shit.

I also remember HUGE ONES had this habit that if had a favourite player he would always call him by his Christian name.

Kenny Burns was one of his favourites players and it was obvious Birmingham City was his favourite club.

Lovely Kenny , simply delicious Kenny etc etc

FFS he was meant to be a professional unbiased commentator..

Archived