Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Argarath

Liverpool (PL Asia Trophy - Final) match thread Sat 22nd July

Whether it's Shakey or Appleton someone needs to have a chat with Morgan about his distribution. Whether he was being pressed or not, every single time he just launched the ball forward rather than play the simple pass into midfield which handed possession straight back to Liverpool. It's a real shame that he can't seem to correct this side of his game as defensively he's pretty good, but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated that this limitation is having too much of an impact on our overall game as a team and I'm starting to think that we'd be better off with a slightly weaker defensive centre half who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

1 hour ago, ian_marshall said:

Whether it's Shakey or Appleton someone needs to have a chat with Morgan about his distribution. Whether he was being pressed or not, every single time he just launched the ball forward rather than play the simple pass into midfield which handed possession straight back to Liverpool. It's a real shame that he can't seem to correct this side of his game as defensively he's pretty good, but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated that this limitation is having too much of an impact on our overall game as a team and I'm starting to think that we'd be better off with a slightly weaker defensive centre half who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I like Morgan but I think he is too big and too slow for PL and unlike Huth he easily goes in panic mode when pressed. He should be at best a sub like Wasilewski was. Just an opnion.

4 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

Teams aren't stupid - they know wes' weakness and when he has the ball they press our midfield - notice how maguire often had a short midfield option because they didn't press so high for fear he could bring the ball out.   If we are going to lose riyad and revert to a less stretched midfield three then I agree we could have a 'less physical' CB than wes . 

Btw, tropical storm roke arrived now but apparently flights will be ok for the journos heading back. Evidently, all four sides already headed back together on an overnight flight to Manchester arriving 8am

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Teams aren't stupid - they know wes' weakness and when he has the ball they press our midfield - notice how maguire often had a short midfield option because they didn't press so high for fear he could bring the ball out.   If we are going to lose riyad and revert to a less stretched midfield three then I agree we could have a 'less physical' CB than wes . 

Btw, tropical storm roke arrived now but apparently flights will be ok for the journos heading back. Evidently, all four sides already headed back together on an overnight flight to Manchester arriving 8am

Good post and I agree that teams are pressing the midfield which is limiting his options but I also feel that sometimes he just doesn't think and just defaults straight away to playing long rather than assessing his options. Either way, if teams recognise this as s weakness it needs addressing.

Vardy Dilema...

Great servant, leathal finisher, an almost undropable player... yet, we feel committed to playing him as part of a strike force pairing. Whenever we try him up top on his own, he doesn't seem anywhere near as effective. 

We are also seeing our midfield get significantly overrun at times in games and the two up top formation results in another one of our assets and one of the leagues most creative forces having to do significant work as a defender and receiving the ball further away from the oppositions goal than we would like.

So this is the difficult question, that we may need to start asking; Could we actually become a more effective side without Vardy as the main striker? 

24 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

So this is the difficult question, that we may need to start asking; Could we actually become a more effective side without Vardy as the main striker? 

No.

The problem isn't Vardy. It's the position behind him. We've needed an upgrade on Okazaki for ages. Slimani, Ulloa, Musa, Lawrence and Gray aren't the answer. Hopefully Iheanacho can be the one to solve this dilemma.

We have an abundence of strikers in Vardy, Slimani,Okazaki,Ulloa and Musa with only Vardy who is true PL class..

Similarly with the Midfield. Drinkwater, King, James,Ndidi, Mendy, Iborra and Amartey.

All of which do very similar defensive jobs and lack the creativity that we are obviously crying out for.

i moan like hell at Wes for his awful long ball distribution but when we have so many midfielders that don't appear to be comfortable with the ball at their feet and don't want to show for the ball, what hope do we have in keeping the ball..

I dont understand why people are criticising Wes for his distribution from the back. Its not even something we have to worry about cos Huth is basically Pele, what with his step-overs, bicycle kicks, through balls over the top, to name a few of his qualities. Not really fair to dig Morgan out, we have a bona fide German-Brazilian genius at CB soon to be back from injury.

2 hours ago, Rigga said:

We have an abundence of strikers in Vardy, Slimani,Okazaki,Ulloa and Musa with only Vardy who is true PL class..

Similarly with the Midfield. Drinkwater, King, James,Ndidi, Mendy, Iborra and Amartey.

All of which do very similar defensive jobs and lack the creativity that we are obviously crying out for.

i moan like hell at Wes for his awful long ball distribution but when we have so many midfielders that don't appear to be comfortable with the ball at their feet and don't want to show for the ball, what hope do we have in keeping the ball..

Slimani is PL class too. He had the best goal ratio in the squad, how does it make him not PL class? Of course Vardy is more suited to Leicester style of play and is well adapted to PL and is better than Slimani in various attributes, but that doesn't make Slimani not PL class, and I think Shinji is a good number 10 for some teams in PL.

2 hours ago, foxes21 said:

No.

The problem isn't Vardy. It's the position behind him. We've needed an upgrade on Okazaki for ages. Slimani, Ulloa, Musa, Lawrence and Gray aren't the answer. Hopefully Iheanacho can be the one to solve this dilemma.

Its a devils advocate question though in that do we, in trying to play to Vardy's strengths, lose overall as a team and if we don't have the players to make Vardy as effective now whether we need to consider another way? 

Could we, for example, be a far different proposition if we played Slimani as a sole striker, with Mahrez allowed greater freedom to stay up the pitch from the resulting 3 in midfield?

2 hours ago, foxes21 said:

No.

Gray could be the answer. We just need to give him a chance. Obviously it'd be nice to have Iheanacho too, but it's way too early to write off Gray.

25 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Slimani is PL class too. He had the best goal ratio in the squad, how does it make him not PL class? Of course Vardy is more suited to Leicester style of play and is well adapted to PL and is better than Slimani in various attributes, but that doesn't make Slimani not PL class, and I think Shinji is a good number 10 for some teams in PL.

Slimani is cack on the floor...He cant just rely on crosses....He also rarely even jumps for the punts that Morgan aims up top...

Shinji is the position that we need to look at and no doubt Ineahacho will be filing it..Shinji simply does not score enough goals and I am fed up of us signing workhorses that constantly have to chase the opposition round the pitch because we don't have good enough players to keep the ball in the first place.

7 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Slimani is cack on the floor...He cant just rely on crosses....He also rarely even jumps for the punts that Morgan aims up top...

Shinji is the position that we need to look at and no doubt Ineahacho will be filing it..Shinji simply does not score enough goals and I am fed up of us signing workhorses that constantly have to chase the opposition round the pitch because we don't have good enough players to keep the ball in the first place.

What kind of reason is that? So if he scores but doesn't jump for the balls Morgan and others put up top he isn't PL class? I'm always learning in this forum no doubt.

16 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

One thing I was happy with was at one point we had a corner and it was a bit of a throwback to the MON land of the giants days.

Ulloa 6ft 3

Ibora 6ft 3

Maguire 6ft 3

Morgan 6ft 2

Ndidi 6ft 1

Fuchs 6ft 1

Shame the corner didnt clear the 1st man but hey ho.

This is probably why Sigurdsson is number 1 transfer target. Clearing the first man is as it turns out, quite important :).

If we keep slim plus sign KI AND if JV is prepared to be rotated we could have several ways to play which would be very useful when it comes to games - at the moment it's too easy to set up against us as teams know if they are disciplined enough they can shut us out. Having three plan A's would be a good place to be tactically 

I think Simmo would have done better against Coutino .Part of the problem is Mahrez will track back make a token effort (I wouldn't want him diving in)but then he gets by passed and seems to think he has done his bit, That second goal was on the cards several seconds before it happened and we were dozing.

1 hour ago, Rigga said:

1 hour ago, Eagle10 said:

What kind of reason is that? So if he scores but doesn't jump for the balls Morgan and others put up top he isn't PL class? I'm always learning in this forum no doubt.

Haha, yeah i'm learning too. I've learned today that Morgan's long balls are a sin, but only because Slimani cant pick them up.

This means we cant play Morgan without Leo (flick ons), and cant play Morgan and Slim together at the same time lol 

Selection options nicely refining

7 minutes ago, dynamark said:

I think Simmo would have done better against Coutino .Part of the problem is Mahrez will track back make a token effort (I wouldn't want him diving in)but then he gets by passed and seems to think he has done his bit, That second goal was on the cards several seconds before it happened and we were dozing.

Mahrez also contributed to the first goal. He stood looking at Courtino move inside before chipping it for Salah.

As you say he gets back but then leaves it to others to stop the attack.  

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

Mahrez also contributed to the first goal. He stood looking at Courtino move inside before chipping it for Salah.

As you say he gets back but then leaves it to others to stop the attack.  

We can point at Mahrez, but the overall problem seems to be we sit far too deep and are very passive in defense to the extent we just sit as two narrow banks of four around the edge of our box waiting and get suprised when we find breaking from there with long balls has become more difficult. 

Teams have got wise to this method of defence, they ensure they don't commit to many players beyond the ball to avoid get countered - which also helps them get to ball back quicker and higher up the pitch, bringing about constant periods of pressure. 

Our back line needs to be braver and take a higher line to encourage a press earlier on in the play. 

25 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

We can point at Mahrez, but the overall problem seems to be we sit far too deep and are very passive in defense to the extent we just sit as two narrow banks of four around the edge of our box waiting and get suprised when we find breaking from there with long balls has become more difficult. 

Teams have got wise to this method of defence, they ensure they don't commit to many players beyond the ball to avoid get countered - which also helps them get to ball back quicker and higher up the pitch, bringing about constant periods of pressure. 

Our back line needs to be braver and take a higher line to encourage a press earlier on in the play. 

You make a very valid point but funnily I just suggested  two banks of four against Arsenal. The difference being Id go with Chilwell and Albrighton on the outside of Iborra and Ndiddi. They both can play both ways, getting forward quickly while defending when needed. But more importantly they'll actually take up good defensive positions and put a tackle in, unlike Mahrez. For all his undoubted skill on the Ball he just doesn't do enough.

As for pushing further up the pitch. Yes we could do that but that would mean Fuchs and Simpson tucking in a little to cover the CBs.  Otherwise were likely to be picked off by someone with Vardy's pace.

5 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

Slimani's strength is in the air...He is woeful on the floor..

If he is not going to contribute in open play and compete for the ball then he is not helping our cause.

I think it's plain to see he is not PL class from what we have seen so far.

Archived