Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Argarath

Liverpool (PL Asia Trophy - Final) match thread Sat 22nd July

3 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Hard to judge from two friendly openers in energy sapping conditions with lots of changes in both games.

But here goes as a few thoughts:

Need RB back up for Simpson

Maguire is already looking a great signing

Ndidi is class but we need a complementary creative player in midfield

James possibly offers much more than Drinkwater or King

Iheanacho is needed! 

Need to ditch some players

Need to keep Mahrez

Good summary.  It's basically Ndidi +1 in midfield.

I also liked the look of Lawrence today too 

Always good to win but who will seriously give a flying f**k what team won this Trophy in two months time? Positives were plenty of match time for the majority of players, Chilwell and Gray to add to the squad and some players probably making the Manager's mind up as to their worth at this stage. Be surprised if there are not several loan moves out.

Difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from a pre-season game, with so many changes.

A well taken goal by Slimani. Flashes of quality from Mahrez - still our most creative player. Vardy looks sharp, albeit that he messed up a couple of chances. A little disappointed with Albrighton. James looks overweight to me, and I'm not sure that he's the sort of player we need at this level. Fuchs was solid enough. Morgan always looks a bag of nerves without Huth at his side. Ndidi looked good when he came on. Musa lots of pace - if only he could add to this attribute. Whenever Ulloa comes on, I always think 'that's the end of our goal scoring', and so it proved.Not sure what the purpose is of King. Both he and Ulloa need to go. Iborra looks slow in a sort of Inler way - hope he proves me wrong.

Overall, I would say that it was a reasonable enough performance. Slightly jittery at the back, not much in midfield, not bad up front.

Just now, Babylon said:

That's my main issue with him, Iborra, Leo... all far too plodding. No edge to them.

I think we will see more from Iborra when fit, but we knew already he wasn't the missing piece of the jigsaw from our midfield.

I'm pretty sure we are only trying to keep Leo here because he speaks Spanish.

Drinkwater is my main concern, he thinks he's Scholes and dictates play spraying the ball around picking it up off the centre backs, when we actually need him to be a driving force.

Being Scholes in a team like ours which cannot control posession is daft. Be more like Kante. Step up.

2 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Liverpool have a side full of the of players we could do with. Creative and hard working. If we can get ourselves one or two of that type I think we'll be well on our way.

Apart from Coutinho, who else would you want? Moreno? Milner? Lovran (a real donkey)?

Just now, EnglishOxide said:

I think we will see more from Iborra when fit, but we knew already he wasn't the missing piece of the jigsaw from our midfield.

Drinkwater is my main concern, he thinks he's Scholes and dictates play spraying the ball around picking it up off the centre backs, when we actually need him to be a driving force.

Being Scholes in a team like ours which cannot control posession is daft. Be more like Kante. Step up.

Like Scholes, when Scholes was 36 unfortunately 

Too much negativity about Danny D. He played better than Ndidi today but no-one , not even plodding waste of space Ulloa should be judged on 2 pre-season half games.

Really wish Kasper was 3 or 4 inches taller, no matter what anyone tries to tell me he never seems to take control of crosses into the box. Scares me to hell.

Mahrez looked great on attack looked lazy on defence both things we know, but the bottom line is he wants out. I'm pretty sure someone is going to stump up the cash for him.

1 minute ago, EnglishOxide said:

Iborra I have no problem with being the sort of player you bring on to sees game out. Can't see him starting though in a 442.

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Always lack a threat when Vardy goes off.

Agreed. He had quite a few chances today but it's preseason so still needs to find his way. Would have been a different game had he taken one.

I felt we were solid at the back and played it out more than I've seen us do for a long time. But there's no one in the middle of the park who can get on the ball and stamp their authority on the game. We look like what we are - a mid table team without any real quality barring Mahrez who I doubt will be with us come August 31st. 

End of the day it was a friendly intended for fitness. Let's see how we progress in the next few. COYB :scarf:.

Just now, FIF said:

Too much negativity about Danny D. He played better than Ndidi today... no-one , not even plodding waste of space Ulloa should be judged on 2 pre-season half games.

Really wish Kasper was 3 or 4 inches taller, no matter what anyone tries to tell me he never seems to take control of crosses into the box. Scares me to hell.

Mahrez looked great on attack looked lazy on defence both things we know, but the bottom line is he wants out. I'm pretty sure someone is going to stump up the cash for him.

I'm going to have to watch it again with different glasses on. Every pass was short, back or side. Like his haircut.

I think we know what our starting 11 will be against Arsenal. 

Kasper

Simpson

Wes

Maguire or Benny 

Fuchs 

Mahrez (we hope) 

Ndidi

Drinky

Albrighton

Kelechi

Vardy 

Bench:

Hamer

Benny or Maguire 

Gray 

Chillwell 

Slim

Iborra 

Amartey 

Shinji 

1 minute ago, FIF said:

Too much negativity about Danny D. He played better than Ndidi today but no-one , not even plodding waste of space Ulloa should be judged on 2 pre-season half games.

Dude, I'm sorry but Drinky was by far our least effective midfielder, and that is coupled with the same in the last game too.  Yes, it is early but the warning signs are there.  He needs to be more dynamic and move more.  Show him a tape of 2013/14 and tell him to get back to that.

Also, love how you say people shouldn't be judged but then start to judge Kasper and and Mahrez.  Mahrez was very good in the first 20 mins but our lack of midfield after that is what let Liverpool back into the game.  

1 minute ago, FIF said:

It's a long standing concern tbh. He thinks he's better than he is.

When Mahrez is not firing, or Gray, Albrighton, etc. The midfield need to step up and do its part to create opportunities, and he doesn't whilst 20yr old Ndidi outshone him last season.

Hopefully he gets it together before he loses his place and it's too late.

3 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Dude, I'm sorry but Drinky was by far our least effective midfielder, and that is coupled with the same in the last game too.  Yes, it is early but the warning signs are there.  He needs to be more dynamic and move more.  Show him a tape of 2013/14 and tell him to get back to that.

That's your opinion. Drinkwater is actually the player that fans are hating on imo. He was better than Ndidi and King today in my opinion, but there wasn't much between any of them.   

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What sort of player is Iborra? I know nothing about him whatsoever.

I think his used to retaining possession, quick passes a link up man. Might be in for a shock with our style of play because there is a lot of chasing the ball to do 

Good work out, glad that it was competitive both teams actually wanted to win. It is only our second preseason game so hopefully a few things will be ironed out come the start of the season. We have a lot of proper friendlies coming up now to do that

Archived